• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating Only Greens

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hello All

I’m looking for advice regarding my little Bertie.

He lost his sister Bella at the beginning of August and whilst his grief was deep, he has done so much better than we dared hope for (we’ve paired him with our solo bun Pepper, which really helped him).

He perked up and seemed to get back to himself, even being a bit naughty and jumping on furniture.

However, since yesterday he seems to have lost his appetite again. He’ll eat greens but not pellets or hay. He’s pee’d and there’s been a few poo’s but not many. We’ve given him two doses of Fibreplex to see if that helps. He’s had a few treats but doesn’t come charging at us for them like he has been doing.

He’s half-social, half-hiding (normally this wouldn’t worry me, but as he’s eating less, I’m a bit concerned).

He was at the vets about three weeks ago and his teeth were fine. Can that change so quickly or it is a slower issue?

I don’t know If I should give him critical care yet (he hates being fed and it was stressful to get Fibreplex into him)? I’m going to mash up some pellets for him to see if he’ll eat it himself.

I don’t know if it’s a fresh wave of grief or if he’s poorly...

Hello All

He lost his sister Bella at the beginning of August and whilst his grief was deep, he has done so much better than we dared hope for (we’ve paired him with our solo bun Pepper, which really helped him).

He perked up and seemed to get back to himself, even being a bit naughty and jumping on furniture.

However, since yesterday he seems to have lost his appetite again. He’ll eat greens but not pellets or hay. He’s pee’d and there’s been a few poo’s but not many. We’ve given him two doses of Fibreplex to see if that helps. He’s had a few treats but doesn’t come charging at us for them like he has been doing.

He’s half-social, half-hiding (normally this wouldn’t worry me, but as he’s eating less, I’m a bit concerned).

He was at the vets about three weeks ago and his teeth were fine. Can that change so quickly or it is a slower issue?

I don’t know If I should give him critical care yet (he hates being fed and it was stressful to get Fibreplex into him)? I’m going to mash up some pellets for him to see if he’ll eat it himself.

It sounds as though he needs to be examined by a vet. He is showing signs of his GI tract slowing down. It may or may not be related to his teeth, but regardless it is still something that needs prompt Veterinary attention.

A bit more info here :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Sending vibes for Bertie xx

Hello All

Hi there and sorry to hear about little Bertie.

It's always wise to get to the vet sooner rather than later with these issues I find.

The other helpful thing to try, as well as fibreplex (perhaps for next time if you want to) is Infacol.
You probably know it's an infant gas meds and helps painful wind to pass.

I would always keep it in my emergency kit, and many people on here find it an absolute lifesaver if given soon enough.

Good luck at the vets :)

We’ve been to see the Vet and he’s been given Emeprid, Metacam and Ranatidine. She said that if he isn’t better by tomorrow, to bring him back for x-rays. (She couldn’t feel a blockage but didn’t want to rule it out.) She said that maybe he needs more time for recuperation.

He’s had a tough time, bless him <3

Actually, I have Baytril for him. I’m confused now. I think I’ve been more stressed about it than I thought. He has 3 bottles of medicine, and I’m going to feed him critical care.

We’ve been to see the Vet and he’s been given Emeprid, Metacam and Ranatidine. She said that if he isn’t better by tomorrow, to bring him back for x-rays. (She couldn’t feel a blockage but didn’t want to rule it out.) She said that maybe he needs more time for recuperation.

He’s had a tough time, bless him <3

I hope he feels a lot better soon x

So my little munchkin got perkier after the medicine but has gone downhill over night, and I feel very worried. I think he’s given up :(

He’s not eating greens and we’re feeding him. I think he’s depressed and missing his Bella. He’s accepted Pepper but she doesn’t fuss over him like Bella did. Bella & Bertie spent their time snuggling, and if one moved, so did the other. Pepper is curious and wants to move around. I think the excitement of a new girl has worn off and he’s missing his sister.

OH is at home today and is on cuddle duty. I hope we can help Bertie through this. He’s such a lovely little boy <3

So my little munchkin got perkier after the medicine but has gone downhill over night, and I feel very worried. I think he’s given up :(

He’s not eating greens and we’re feeding him. I think he’s depressed and missing his Bella. He’s accepted Pepper but she doesn’t fuss over him like Bella did. Bella & Bertie spent their time snuggling, and if one moved, so did the other. Pepper is curious and wants to move around. I think the excitement of a new girl has worn off and he’s missing his sister.

OH is at home today and is on cuddle duty. I hope we can help Bertie through this. He’s such a lovely little boy <3

Is he eating anything for himself? What's his output like? Maybe you should contact the vet and ask if he needs to be seen again, as you've got the weekend coming up.

Sending him lots of vibes.

At this point, he’s not interested in eating by himself - no greens, no treats. There’s been some smaller poos during the night, but when I picked him up to give him medicine, perfectly formed poops came out (night feeding). This is a relief, of course, but it’s his general demeanour. He is so sad.

We’re going to feed him soon and hopefully the medicine has kicked in, so will give it an hour or two, and then decide about taking him back to the vet. The Vet is open on Sat + Sun too, which is helpful.

Oh dear I'm so sorry.

I tend to whack in a dose or two of Infacol (in case it's wind/gas pain) and ring the vet to see what they say.

They might want to admit him for fluids. Could Pepper go to if that's the case?
Or even give sub-cut fluids, in which case he wouldn't have to stay there.

Fluids often make a rabbit feel much better quickly.

Sending vibes x

Back