• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Crystal- Arrived 05-03-2012 - Died 06-09-2018

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Ekirgdv.jpg

Hi there Lovely Lady,

I’m so sorry it’s taken me so long to get my act together and write this; I just didn’t want to face it.

We first met WAY back in 2011, when you came into the RSPCA with Fluffy and Inca. Inca was PTS very quickly and you and Fluffy stayed together, although she then developed her hormones and you and her had to be separated.

rhYjI8t.jpg

You were single at the RSPCA for a while, with no interest and then I found myself with a lonely adoptable boy, Butterfly. I took him round and dated him with a few ladies, and, out of all of them, he chose you. You were the only bunny that came to me when you didn’t need to. YOU didn’t need to come to me (at least, not at that point), but he needed you too. So you came home, that day- 5th March 2012.

You and he bonded in my living room and you were so happy and so comfortable together, right from the word go. He knew what indoor life was, but you didn’t. You found it a life of luxury and just melted into this pool of blissfulness at being inside.

FnQTwmY.jpg

It9wysa.jpg

hMvzURR.jpg

19rPuRm.jpg

RLfufD0.jpg

You guys bonded quickly and soon moved into your new permanent home in my room.

The pair of you didn’t last there for long because you were both super destructo bunnies, so out you went, into a lovely set up outside. That seemed to work much better for both of you. Wherever you were though, you were super loved up with each other.

ZheZcEu.jpg

uQbaIEr.jpg

gXY402c.jpg

You were both still up for adoption, and I was looking for a special home for you both. Then some horrific negligence happened at the RSPCA and I knew I was going to have to leave. Before telling them, I arranged to adopt you both, so that, when I left, there would be no lose ends and I would know you were both ok, and you wouldn’t be neglected if you went back to their centre. You officially became ‘mine’ on 5th August 2012, and you were here to stay.

You and he were such a beautiful couple- attractive and cheeky, all in one go. You LOVED to get out and run around and you did binkies like I’ve never seen before- even higher than Candyfloss!

283.jpg

Kdro1Nz.jpg

And, along with all of that, we got to know each other and our trust grew, and you started to trust me. You were a ‘bunny’ bunny, rather than a cheeky little toddler bunny, but that was part of your charm. Your little heart of gold.

You showed, quite quickly, that you did have dental issues, and you would occasionally go into stasis with those, but with some warmth, and fluids and pain relief, we would bring you round.

And you guys lived that happy little fluffy life until April 2014, when you started to develop breathing issues. After a couple of months of diagnostics, and a visit to Iain Cope, he diagnosed heart failure. This was sad news, but it made me so glad you had come to me, because I knew that I had seen it, I would treat it, you would be looked after and, most importantly, you wouldn’t suffer. At all. You’d live a happy life for whatever weeks, months or years you had left.

So we medicated and treated and you got used to ‘the pink box’ (your nebulizer) and you were a dream to give oral meds to and you and your fluffy friend were up at the front of your enclosure all the time.

zcv35Ke.jpg

Y6p1x2q.jpg

Then Butterfly died. Originally I thought through my error, but maybe not. Nowadays, I think it was dental abscesses that we missed. But he died, in January 2016. I thought you’d go soon after, but you didn’t. You had to stay living outside, because of your breathing difficulties. I dated you with Dawn, but you and he weren’t match made in Heaven, so we had to leave that. The best we could do for you was to stimulate you highly, keep you right outside the back door, so you could see in, pop out and see you often. It made me sad that you were alone and outside, but your behaviour and routine didn’t change after Butterfly died, and you were just as perky as you always had been.

I kept thinking, ‘this was be the last summer’, or ‘this would be the last winter’, and that wasn’t the case. You just kept living and living and loving life- it wasn’t the life that I wanted for you, and I’ll regret that a long time, but you were happy and safe and looked after and you didn’t suffer.

Then, a couple of months ago, your breathing deteriorated again, four years after your original diagnosis of heart failure. We made the decision to put you on steroids, knowing that without them you’d die, but with them, they would eventually put you into liver failure. But, it was a choice we made and you were managing much better- even coping ok in the grim heat. I noticed your eyes were starting to bulge and guess that, what pushed you over was that you’d developed a thymoma.

But, again, you were popping about, trashing things, hunting for hidden food, running in the garden.

And then you hurt your leg on Sunday 2nd September. It wasn’t broken, but what I think is that the increased dose of your medications pushed your liver into not coping, OR, it was just too much for your poor little heart. I don’t know. But you wound down.

I came down on Thursday 6th, and you had laid in your litter tray and not eaten much over night and I knew your time had come. I gathered you up and cuddled you tight. I carried you around and I could feel you warming up, but, as you warmed up, I could feel you letting go.

So I called the vets and jumped in a car. You would always freak out in a car, but you sat, all snuggled up, on my lap, and didn’t move a muscle. I thought you had died, but you hadn’t.

The emergency vets were people that didn’t know either of us, but they agreed with me. I had to fight them for it to be humane, as she wanted to inject into your kidneys or heart, without anaesthetic. But I fought and I won. She didn’t consider your ear vein, and I think she wasn’t confident with it, but you had the GA and you went to sleep in my arms. And there you stayed.

When you were asleep, she injected into your kidneys and it didn’t take effect- most likely, you were also in renal failure, due to all the meds you were on. A long, long time later she then injected into your other kidney and you just went, just like that.

I didn’t realise, Crystal, how much it would tear me apart to lose you. I still keep going outside to see you, I look for you, I get you pellets. And you’re never there. You’ve been just outside my back door for six years, and you’re not there anymore. You’ve left a cuddly bunny sized hole. And it’s so large.

You were such a sweet bunny, such a destructive pickle, such a food motivated little monster. And you’re not here anymore, and I miss you more than I ever considered I would.

I hope that you’re wherever you are, with Flysiefly. I hope you and he found each other. It’s taken me so long to write this, that you are home from the crem, and you’re in the photobox with Butterfly, so you are with him, here.

Crystal, you fought heart failure for over four years and I have no idea how much lived so long with that condition. I don’t know how old you were when you died, but you were at least 8.5 years and maybe more (I don’t know how old you were when you came into the RSPCA). You fought a heroic battle, an inspiring battle. You gave a beautiful example of living in the moment and not being beaten by the weight of any knowledge about your condition. I’m proud of you and feel so privileged that you came into my life and that Butterfly chose you to come home. I’m privileged to have been alongside you in your journey. Thank you also for being alongside mine, with me.

0j3wCKv.jpg

I hope, I just hope, that you know how much you were loved. I miss you and I love you. And, for the first time in 30 years, I have no bunnies outside- the hole you left in our home is incomprehensible.

Love always Lady.

Y6p1x2q

0AW1Tt9.jpg

1tuSPji.jpg

3zX11hR.jpg

7V63vnK.jpg

I’m so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Crystal :cry: what a lovely tribute post to her, she was such a pretty girl :love:

I'm quite sure she knew just how much you loved her, and she was very lucky to have you to care for her :love:

Binky free at the bridge, Crystal xx

Thinking of you xx

Your tribute post obviously comes from your heart. Crystal was certainly a lucky Bunny to find her way into your care. And she sure could Binky !! It's so lovely to see such a happy Rabbit.

I am very sorry that you had to say farewell to her.

RIP Crystal xx

Sending you lots of hugs. I'm so sorry that it was Crystal's time to leave :cry: She was a beautiful rabbit and your tribute to her and selection of photos are very lovely.

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful bunny, and lovely pictures. What a lucky girl she was to have you as her owner. Binky free little bun!

What a lovely fulfilled life Crystal led. Amazing binkies:love: I'm so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight pretty girl xxx

What a beautiful tribute, the love comes shining through, I find it hard to believe that she could have not known that she was loved.
Those binkies are something else. :love:
I'm sorry she's gone, but glad that you found each other.

You are so eloquent with your tributes that I feel like I knew your beautiful girl. You’ve given her a wonderful life and I’m so sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So sorry. What a very beautiful lady of a bunny. Crystal was a perfect name for her and what a lovely tribute. Wishing you strength and sending hugs.
Xx

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Crystal was a beautiful girl and so lucky she came home with you and Butterfly.
Wonderful tribute that had me in tears😢
Binky free Crystal
Sending love and hugs Sky-0 xxx

Oh this is so beautiful it made me feel all weepy. [emoji304]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love you and I miss you. It’s been a really rough year and it started with you.

I wish you were here.

Back