• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why on earth did I ever decide to get rabbits

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
I am peeved and upset to say the least.
last night they escaped, some how, I have no idea how, and chewed through 2 pairs of headphones and my dongle for my phone. all I have is a pair of **** cheap headphones but its not like it will work as I need my audio to lightning dongle..which they chewed.
the apple headphones were £30, the dongle is £10 & the other pair I had had for years and cost roughly £15.
I'm so upset and beyond angry. I do my best for them. I give them all I can. yet I feel like I am "repayed" like this.
this morning I cried for half an hour and I want to cry again. I want to physically just smash my head and fits until they hurt because I am so angry. I am not "mentally stable" enough to deal with this - and I'm incredibly hormonal being that time of the month!
I have spent so much repairing stuff. it doesn't matter how much I try something always goes wrong and something ends up destroyed. my shoes. my wires. my clothes.
I don't know why the hell I ever thought rabbits were a good idea. I love them but I'm not sure I am cut out for this BS.
and while its no big deal at all I'd like to personally throw amazon into a shark tank or something, I am just trying to buy myself a new pair of headphones. now it wants me to enter the stupid card number which to be quite frank I'm not in the mood to deal with right now. I just want to buy a new pair and forget about all of this, not deal with stupid **** with entering card numbers when it was fine a minute ago!

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated and that your bunnies have been so naughty! I think it's important to remember all the good reasons why you have your rabbits - of course they cost us all money and they inevitably destroy stuff somewhere along the line but they also give us a lot. I've learnt to be more picky about what I get annoyed about more generally, at work and at home. My rabbits randomly chewed my carpet a few nights ago, it'll cost a couple of hundred pounds to replace and while I'm annoyed and don't understand why they decided to do it after all these months, I know they didn't mean anything by it, and getting angry doesn't bring my carpet back. My horse has had me in tears a few times, but in the end I've had to learn to take a more philosophical approach to animal ownership. Otherwise I'd probably blow a gasket!

The rabbits aren’t ‘repaying’ you for anything. They haven’t done it intentionally so spite you. It isn’t their fault they escaped, if there is a weak point for exploring somewhere new, of course they will take it. Perhaps you shouldn’t have rabbits if things like this make you angry, as the poor creatures have done nothing wrong.

I've always bunny proofed anything and everything just incase…..prevention better than cure....and no doubt cheaper!!

They are just doing what (some) bunnies love to do. Perhaps more toys to keep them occupied?

I do love them - but it is frustrating & annoying when no matter how hard I try something is always "wrong". they have been in their new pen for almost a month, why now? if I had known this a month a go and not on a weekend, I could have fixed it sooner. but now is the right time, as it usually is, at an awkward time for something to pop up.

I just struggle sometimes, music is my "escape" for when things get too difficult mentally for me, so they chew that one item that helps me cope and a replacement wont be here until tuesday if I am lucky. for me, that's hell until tuesday. they have chewed so much and I have spent so much, of things that I can replace. other things can not be replaced. I think its out of their way and then they decide to suddenly prove me wrong, when I'm not there, so its destroyed anyway.

so that's £33 gone just replacing what they've destroyed this time.

I've cried so much today. I do my best to bunny proof the room as much as I can, yet its never good enough. they find new ways to ruin something else.

I guess switching it around, the good thing is is that they didn't chew the laundry on my bed, or none that I can find. but I'll wait to be proven wrong on that one.

believe what you will but I can assure you they are far from "poor creatures" - they're spoiled to high hell. I'm blaming myself more than them but I do sometimes wonder why on earth I got rabbits in the first place, and why I love them so much.

and yes - they have done something wrong, by chewing something. I would describe destroying objects, when I assure you then have plenty of other things to destroy, as a "bad" and "wrong" behaviour. just unfortunately they are far too stupid to understand right from wrong.

sometimes after they've chewed just about everything valuable to me - it really does feel like spite!

they have plenty to do with toys on rotation.. treat balls, puzzle toys, loo rolls to high heaven, wood toys, baby cups, boxes etc. if they're bored then I don't know what will satisfy them!

Last edited:
I do love them - but it is frustrating & annoying when no matter how hard I try something is always "wrong". they have been in their new pen for almost a month, why now? if I had known this a month a go and not on a weekend, I could have fixed it sooner. but now is the right time, as it usually is, at an awkward time for something to pop up.

I just struggle sometimes, music is my "escape" for when things get too difficult mentally for me, so they chew that one item that helps me cope and a replacement wont be here until tuesday if I am lucky. for me, that's hell until tuesday. they have chewed so much and I have spent so much, of things that I can replace. other things can not be replaced. I think its out of their way and then they decide to suddenly prove me wrong, when I'm not there, so its destroyed anyway.

so that's £33 gone just replacing what they've destroyed this time.

I've cried so much today. I'm too hormonal for this BS.

believe what you will but I can assure you they are far from "poor creatures" - they're spoiled to high hell. I'm blaming myself more than them but I do sometimes wonder why on earth I got hooked to these particular animals, the idiotic ones, the most.

and yes - they have done something wrong, by chewing something. I wouldn't describe destroying objects when I assure you then have plenty of other things to destroy, as a "bad" and "wrong" behaviour. just unfortunately they are far too stupid to understand right from wrong.

sometimes after they've chewed just about everything valuable to me - it really does feel like spite!

I doubt that they are stupid, I'd reckon they are quite the opposite. Curious, mischievous, attention seeking......and how can we expect bunnies to fully understand the concept of what we call right and wrong?

Please be understanding with them but also be understanding to yourself. Yes bunnies can be very frustrating, equally they can be a real joy to have around.

And stop blaming yourself, try to sort things out, make adjustments to make such 'accidents' happen less frequently and in the grand scheme of things......try to accept them as bunnies and be kind to yourself. x

BC - I know it's frustrating when something you have gets damaged, even if it is accidental. It's also important to remember that those things are always replacable to some extent, but yes they do cost money to replace them. They are material goods. What is irreplacable is the love you show towards your beautifu lrabbits and whilst I understand your initial feeling about this, it's important to realise that your rabbits didn't do this as some beligerant act of defiance or a deliberate and personal attack towards you. They're just being rabbits and they don't really understand what doing deliberate is. Sometimes they are just guided by natural instinct and to rabbits, that's chewing. I've had several objects chewed by my bunnies and whilst frustrating at the time, I knew they didn't do it on purpose. I hope you feel you can able to forgive your rabbits and realise that they're not doing it on purpose at you.

I understand the frustration. So far since we got him in February, Phillip has chewed through two iPhone charging cables (one of them I'd only had 2 days!!) and he's also chewed through my headphones which cost £50. We're pretty careful but he seems to seek out any exposed cables!! Most of our wires are covered by cable protectors, which are cheap on eBay and worth getting if you don't already. Phillip still likes to have a go on the protectors occasionally but luckily where they're plastic they crunch as he nibbles them so we can stop him straight away :lol:

I know you love your rabbits and the annoyance will wear off - but I do understand how frustrating it is initially! But then I look at his little face and know he is only acting on his instincts and can't help but forgive him.
Our first rabbit chewed through my hair straighteners, fan cord, phone charger and my MacBook cable while it was charging! How he managed to survive that I'll never know as it made a giant bang and he just sat there looking smug and unharmed :shock:

I guess I describe them as stupid in the most loving way possible, as I believe I have two of the most dopiest rabbits ever. they will run towards danger, or get themselves stuck between the bed & wall, and then scream as they think they're going to die, scaring the life out of me. they're probably the bluntest tools in the tool box, their only saving grace is their soft fur & cuteness. they've managed to get their heads stuck in cups, and managed to jump face first against the gerbil cage. my boyfriend has often joked they wouldn't survive an hour in the wild as we both know they'd try to fight a fox and get themselves killed - thats how they both are.

I just wish they could understand why I am angry. they're too "stupid" to understand in a sense, as their smartest moment is throwing over a cup to discover food underneath it, and that's about as far as they get. other peoples rabbits obviously have some brain upgrades and mine missed out :roll:

I do love them really - but its upsetting. I am trying my best, but nothing is safe. they always manage to get somewhere somehow and I never expect it. my earbuds were on my shelf, probably 5ft + in the air. theres nothing to jump onto. theres nothing up there for them. I don't understand why that suddenly gained interested and why suddenly now they escape when they've been fine.

some things they chewed can never be replaced. like gifts my now dead grandmother gave me. yet somehow they managed to jump onto the windowsill and destroy them. I'm still angry at them for those. they'll never be replaced and they're the only thing I had left, now gone, ruined, by them.

nothing in my room is safe is basically what I have learned. but I have no where else to put anything. my room is the only place for my stuff. so I don't know what the hell I am supposed to do.

my room is as rabbit proofed as it can be - the last resort is to just strip it bare of everything, but I need something for me as well. yet apparently I can not have that.

I realise they don't do this dumb stuff on "purpose" or out of spite, but it really does begin to feel like that when they target your most valuable and precious items. I put them up high. I put them out of the way. yet somehow they always get to them.

at the end of the day I'm the idiot for it and I only have myself to blame. I am still angry however.

bC... It's ok. It is actually ok to find that you no longer want the pets you had. It doesn't make you a bad person. If the feeling persists, look for rescue places for them.

"I do my best for them. I give them all I can. yet I feel like I am "repayed" like this." Everyone else will have told you, they're not people, they think like rabbits. And rabbits are not designed to live in houses. Houses aren't designed to accommodate rabbits. Nor are sheds, garages, whatever. Some (rich or just extremely determined) rabbit owners build wonderful palaces for their animals. That doesn't make it necessary or the right thing to do. If what you have done already, which is as much as you can expect yourself to do, isn't working for you and them, let them move on.

I had Matthew and Tabitha for four years, then Charles and Cecile joined us, in the house, for another five years. My home was utterly destroyed. I am still living with the consequences, years after Matthew died overnight and the others were put to sleep. At that point only Cecile could have gone on living, Charles and Tabitha were ill, but I couldn't make Cecile live her life alone when she'd never been separated from her brother, even to go to the vets. That was it for me, though, no more animals, ever.

You might not have reached that point yet. But if you do think of the freedom, the money in your pocket, the end of needless destruction of your property, with a kind of longing, be gentle and generous with yourself as you would be with them, and rehome.

I'm a bit out of place on RU, really. But there, you have my opinion, in case it is helpful.

eta: You matter, too. x

Last edited:
the thing is, if it wasn't for Luna, or Snoopy for that matter, I would have taken the road out of life many years back - as blunt as it is. I'm a very lonely person, I have no friends, no social contact, RU is about my only place to relay my feelings and speak to anybody. I am totally and utterly alone, yet I'm far too terrified to do anything about it, so I don't.

having rabbits has changed me in different ways, for the better.

but it also comes with utterly angering moments like this.

I do love them, I do not hate them, I don't want harm to come to them. I haven't caused any harm to them.

the reality is, it sounds horrible, but I do not think anybody would want Luna. she is a sickly rabbit with her arthritis and is blind. everybody talks about how they would "bring home a rabbit with issues" - but deep down when push comes to shove, they won't. they don't want a sickly rabbit, they want as stress free life as possible, as people do. people don't take home the animals that require medication or expensive surgeries, its almost a "stupid" move to make. people often don't bring home the unwell animals. many rescues would likely turn her away on that basis because she could (and I would say would) be in their care for a long time and cost a lot.

I know when I brought Luna home I was in for a hell ride - perhaps I am stupid for that, I probably am. I knew there would be problems.

I don't think I could rehome them. I promised Luna that whatever garbage she had been through was over, that I would love her forever, and that this was her safe place. I would feel like I was breaking that promise if I ever did that. she couldn't go outside due to her coat being screwed completely, & I wouldn't trust anybody else to follow up on that one.

it would be nice to have more money in my pocket. it would be nice to have my room to myself, and not me in the rabbits room. it would be nice to have back that extra space. it would be nice to have less worry about holidays. it would be nice to have less worry about my things being chewed.

it wouldn't be nice to live in complete loneliness and have no anchor to stay. they don't understand a word I say to them, but I talk to them, I like to think they listen.

and I wouldn't forgive myself for rehoming them. I'd just live my entire life worrying about how they were and if they had a good home.

there is no easy solution. I made the mistake, but its still upsetting. but as I said I do only have myself to blame, & I know that, but it doesn't stop be from feeling angry and upset at everything that has been destroyed via them.

They were just having some fun - cords are just irresistible! Like a big, tender, juicy apple you wanna bite into :lol: That's what I liken it as.

It's annoying, but next time you'll probably put valuables away in a drawer or something so they definitely can't get to them.

I feel like it's not worth getting angry about things. It's not a big deal - headphones can be replaced.

I;m not saying you don't have a right to be upset (Not at the rabbits though - they're not to blame for just being rabbits) but I think it's important to realize that it does no good to get upset at some things like this. It's done, it's cost a little money and time and now lesson learned. Just look at it from a learning experience.

Animals give so much to our lives and you kinda got to expect accidents to happen if you want animals. It doesnt matter if they're rabbits, cats, dogs, etc, you're probably going to have valuables and furnishing etc messed up from time to time. I know I have.

I've lost loads of things to my pets, but they've given me so much more. The stuff lost is now a funny reminder of why you have to be careful. I once tried to watch a show on my laptop with headphones in and my bunny Ben in my lap...well seconds later my headphone cord had a slice in them and I didn't even see him touch them! I learned he was not to be trusted around cords after that :lol:

Whilst I'm not particularly bothered about material possessions, a long-long time ago when I first got involved with rabbits, I tried to have a house rabbit and came to the conclusion that it was not really viable so she was relocated to the garden where she lived a happy and healthy life. She loved the grass, foraging, digging - yes the garden ended up like a bombsite but I don't like gardening anyway, so no big loss. Perhaps this would be an option?

the thing is, if it wasn't for Luna, or Snoopy for that matter, I would have taken the road out of life many years back - as blunt as it is. I'm a very lonely person, I have no friends, no social contact, RU is about my only place to relay my feelings and speak to anybody. I am totally and utterly alone, yet I'm far too terrified to do anything about it, so I don't.

having rabbits has changed me in different ways, for the better.

but it also comes with utterly angering moments like this.

I do love them, I do not hate them, I don't want harm to come to them. I haven't caused any harm to them.

the reality is, it sounds horrible, but I do not think anybody would want Luna. she is a sickly rabbit with her arthritis and is blind. everybody talks about how they would "bring home a rabbit with issues" - but deep down when push comes to shove, they won't. they don't want a sickly rabbit, they want as stress free life as possible, as people do. people don't take home the animals that require medication or expensive surgeries, its almost a "stupid" move to make. people often don't bring home the unwell animals. many rescues would likely turn her away on that basis because she could (and I would say would) be in their care for a long time and cost a lot.

I know when I brought Luna home I was in for a hell ride - perhaps I am stupid for that, I probably am. I knew there would be problems.

I don't think I could rehome them. I promised Luna that whatever garbage she had been through was over, that I would love her forever, and that this was her safe place. I would feel like I was breaking that promise if I ever did that. she couldn't go outside due to her coat being screwed completely, & I wouldn't trust anybody else to follow up on that one.

it would be nice to have more money in my pocket. it would be nice to have my room to myself, and not me in the rabbits room. it would be nice to have back that extra space. it would be nice to have less worry about holidays. it would be nice to have less worry about my things being chewed.

it wouldn't be nice to live in complete loneliness and have no anchor to stay. they don't understand a word I say to them, but I talk to them, I like to think they listen.

and I wouldn't forgive myself for rehoming them. I'd just live my entire life worrying about how they were and if they had a good home.

there is no easy solution. I made the mistake, but its still upsetting. but as I said I do only have myself to blame, & I know that, but it doesn't stop be from feeling angry and upset at everything that has been destroyed via them.
Sorry your stuff got destroyed :(

And don't say no one would want Luna! She'll hear you! Haha I'd adopt Luna, and I'm sure there's so many others who would also if they became too much :)

It may be stupid, but I often take home the sickly ones on purpose haha

I'm sure if they could understand, they'd be very sorry :) be kind to yourself xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I really do understand how upset you are right now and how frustrating it must be. My bridge bunny Chrissy destroyed an entire room and our house was brand new at the time. None of my rabbits that I had had in the past had chewed woodwork and everything just cords so we were naive. Chrissy ate the baseboards,door and floor in the laundry room. We had to replace all the baseboards and the floor. We sanded and repainted the door in the laundry room. Now by the time Julie came along we were use to the potential damage but hooked on bunnies. We protected everything around Julie but Julie was always one step ahead of us. She would just move on to the next thing. It seem like she was just out to destroy and she had more toys and stuff than most 2 year olds and all the attention. We both spent hours and hours dreaming up ways to bunny proof the house amd a ton of money at Home depot. She killed a laptop. She ran up quick and chopped the wire. This was the first time she ever chewed wires and she was so quick. I was right there using it. If asked about keeping bunnies I always say that I feel like they are the best, cutest, funny,loving, intelligent little creatives on this earth but can be very destructive and I tell all the stories. This being said we do not have rabbits right now but only because we are in an apartment and at the traveling point in our life but once we settle down again we will have rabbits. Rabbits are require lots and lots of time and love attention and can be extremely expensive and can cause a ton of stress when they are sick so in other words are only for certain people. The type of people who have no other life other than their rabbits are the best people to keep rabbits. The type of person who puts the bunnies first and think that bunnies rule but I think that bunnies rule and should. LOL
I am really sorry that you are going through such a tough time right now. I hope that you can get some headphones soon.

Last edited:
binkyCodie, you're never alone whilst you're a member of RU. Many members struggle for many reasons and they find that being on here can help them so much. We're a little family all linked together by our love of those who must be obeyed.

You have friends on here and furry friends in your life.

Take good care of yourself and those cheeky bunnies. xx

Back