• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potentially Introducing A Dog

yeah here we don't have AC, or if you do you're probably on a good income or have been saving up for a while. AC units that are standalone seem to cost 300, 400 pounds if not more. critters aren't too much of a concern, but then again we don't exactly have things like fly nets/bug nets etc. the most is flies, moths & spiders (shivers).

yards are small, if you have one. I think ours is big at 20ft x 15ft (roughly), but many have smaller. many have shared yards as they're in flats/apartments so the space isn't exactly yours. I think ours is the biggest across three streets, if not close to it, many others are like 10ft x 10ft where I live - and I'm not even in london.

front yards these days are concrete and for parking, not exactly grassy nor a yard nor are they big. they have room for a car, for you to walk to your door, and that's it. they're not fenced in either (some are, but its rare). its just like a place for you to park a car.

the point of allowing a dog to go out into the backyard isn't for exercise - but more if the dog wants to go out and get some air, stretch legs, pee etc in between walks. you can leave the door open and they can do what they please.

I don't know what type of barrier you're thinking, but everything that comes to mind either would be too flimsy, wouldn't provide any protection, or just would take up far too much space. for a dog not to be fixated on the rabbits you would need a large non seethrough fence/barrier around them. something such as puppy panels wouldn't work as dog could still see the rabbits, and it would easily be knocked over. you would basically need an entire fence of some sort in my description, which isn't feasible.

its not out of order or too extraordinary to just ask of your animals to coexist. if a dog can't deal with rabbits being there and wants to be at them, then they're not suitable. for me if an animal can't coexist without serious conflict then its a deal breaker for me. I'm not asking for them to be left alone with no barriers around them, but enough "trust" if you will for them to just leave them alone. I don't want the rabbits jumping all over a dog and biting them, I don't want my dog jumping all over the rabbits and biting them.

dunno, for me its an issue if dog doesn't get along - since mine are indoors and always will be. so my future dog/cat will have to learn

We had to buy a new AC unit 4 years ago...it cost thousands$ for the unit alone xD

Yea when our dogs need to go to pee/poo you have to go and take them out since we cant leave doors open and it's not really safe for us to let the dog out without being there to supervise anyway.

Some people live in apartments with no yard so I guess people just are used to their own situation and their dogs are too.

If a dog is crazy about rabbits so you can't just use a flimsy barrier then they'd have to be totally separated, so no going in the backyard if a separate dog-only area wasn't possible. This would be fine with me but I guess not feasible to everyone if you plan on the yard being an important factor in having a dog. I just dont think it's real necessary really IME.

Most of our animals mostly coexist, but it's never been something we relied on. It just happened and we made changes when necessary. I think it actually is a big thing to ask animals to coexist together since they don't really understand. I don't expect it, and it's great when it does work out.

Yea I totally get it :) your situation and space is great, I wish places in London weren't so cramped tbh [emoji38] and makes sense about the ac etc :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Tbh the uk is probably easier to accommodate for dogs in some ways with climate (some would even argue that northern breeds aren't suited for our climate), a lack of dangerous wildlife including mosquitoes (heartworm is very common here if they aren't on heartworm prevention), and better walking access/safer roads. Although I'd never change it at all as I like it how it is here, well except for that last one. Dangerous roads can be an issue for walking in some places and I'm not even talking about for dogs.

We had to buy a new AC unit 4 years ago...it cost thousands$ for the unit alone xD

Yea when our dogs need to go to pee/poo you have to go and take them out since we cant leave doors open and it's not really safe for us to let the dog out without being there to supervise anyway.

Some people live in apartments with no yard so I guess people just are used to their own situation and their dogs are too.

If a dog is crazy about rabbits so you can't just use a flimsy barrier then they'd have to be totally separated, so no going in the backyard if a separate dog-only area wasn't possible. This would be fine with me but I guess not feasible to everyone if you plan on the yard being an important factor in having a dog. I just dont think it's real necessary really IME.

Most of our animals mostly coexist, but it's never been something we relied on. It just happened and we made changes when necessary. I think it actually is a big thing to ask animals to coexist together since they don't really understand. I don't expect it, and it's great when it does work out.

Tbh the uk is probably easier to accommodate for dogs in some ways with climate (some would even argue that northern breeds aren't suited for our climate), a lack of dangerous wildlife including mosquitoes (heartworm is very common here if they aren't on heartworm prevention), and better walking access/safer roads. Although I'd never change it at all as I like it how it is here, well except for that last one. Dangerous roads can be an issue for walking in some places and I'm not even talking about for dogs.
Yea my house actually had ac - but I've ripped it all out, I just don't think it's needed in England - got some pretty big holes to fill [emoji38][emoji38]

Yea I never considered really, it's either okay and my back doors are open (if I'm home) or it's raining and they're closed [emoji38] bugs are small and not a problem and I don't have to worry about ac escaping and costing money.

Different ways of life is all :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

How about a chihuahua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah tbh if keeping dog away from rabbits becomes necessary than a very small breed might be easiest. My small dogs aren't able to get over puppy pen fences etc, they don't even try.

Not to say they're all like that - some dogs are amazing jumpers and very determined - my neighbor has a smallish/medium sized terrier mixed breed like that. Literally can't keep him contained in the backyard as he goes flying over fences that are over 6ft tall if they turn their back! They didn't know this when they adopted him, which shows you have to be able to adapt to the unexpected.

Back