• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potentially Introducing A Dog

Well the dog was here for about half an hour or so.

She was fine in the house, and the first time in the garden, but when she saw the rabbits she got stressed and fixated on them, and it was a struggle to get her back inside.

We really liked her, and it is a shame, but the boys need to be safe and they wouldn’t be with her about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you all :cry:

Thanks all.

It was always a risk that this would happen.

And while I feel bad for the bunnies, it must have been very scary, I’m glad we did the test, it would have been worse all round if we’d bought her home, she acted the same way, and then we had to return her.

The lady from The Dogs said that she will also put on the dogs record that she can’t live with cats, as she doesn’t think she’d pass a cat test.

I’m sure Roxy will find the forever home that is right for her.

My wife was crying about how scared the rabbits were, but they seem ok now.

Maybe we will never be able to find a dog while we have the boys.

Thanks all.

It was always a risk that this would happen.

And while I feel bad for the bunnies, it must have been very scary, I’m glad we did the test, it would have been worse all round if we’d bought her home, she acted the same way, and then we had to return her.

The lady from The Dogs said that she will also put on the dogs record that she can’t live with cats, as she doesn’t think she’d pass a cat test.

I’m sure Roxy will find the forever home that is right for her.

My wife was crying about how scared the rabbits were, but they seem ok now.

Maybe we will never be able to find a dog while we have the boys.

I realise it's tough but I wouldn't give up honestly :)

Shepherding breeds may be worth a look?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Shepherding breeds can be the absolute worst, in my experience. But then I only have our experiences to go on.

Maybe a puppy, they would be more the rabbits size, and young enough to set down firm ground rules etc.

Shepherding breeds can be the absolute worst, in my experience. But then I only have our experiences to go on.
Ah that's interesting!

I've never had any issues with German shepherds, or dobies (not shepherding obvs) again individual dogs and all that :)

Had quite a few gsds some strong willed types, some placid, all of them ignored my mini lops, could've just been lucky I guess!

Maybe a puppy, they would be more the rabbits size, and young enough to set down firm ground rules etc.

Hmmm tricky one, issue with a pup is if it doesn't leave them alone you'd have to give it back :'( which would be so so tough :(

Hmmm tricky one, issue with a pup is if it doesn't leave them alone you'd have to give it back :'( which would be so so tough :(

True, it will take some serious consideration on our part.

But definitely don’t want to put the rabbits through that again.

I’m sure there will be a pooch out there for us somewhere.

Personally I just don't allow predators and prey with each other so I never bother about whether a dog is gonna be prey driven or not because they cant be trusted anyways. So it's like a moot point. Thinking they'd be ok with prey is just luring you into a false sense of security, meaning you might not be as careful as you otherwise would be to keep them apart.

Honestly, I always have a hard time understanding why people on here are so insistent on getting a dog that's good with little animals for this reason. Like...what's the thought process? When you get a cat do you check first if the cat is ok with hamsters (lol), or do you just ensure the hamster is kept safe e.g. put in another room? I mean, I actually did have a cat that was good with hamsters but it's not like you can ever seriously trust a cat. I just figure the same with dogs.

And I disagree about terriers as well. One of my terriers is as trustworthy as can be around small animals, protective even, she's never shown any inclination that she wants to hurt them. We got her at 8 weeks and she'll be 13 years old next month. Her brother isn't too bad around small animals, he doesn't go nuts, but he's certainly not trustworthy. We only trust him around cats - but not small kittens. So it goes to show that it's just pointless to choose your pets based on stereotypes.

I've also heard people say you can't have Labradors and ducks, but I have and my lab was great with the ducks. You can't predict how things will turn out so no use worrying about it imo, just take things as they come (while protecting your rabbits, obviously).

In your case I'd just put up a sight barrier - e.g. a small fence. Just to keep them from seeing/sniffing at each other. It sounds like your rabbits won't be happy with any dog sniffing their run considering they aren't used to dogs yet, and any dog is def gonna wanna check the rabbits out, whether he actually wants to hurt them, play with them, or is just simply curious.

True, it will take some serious consideration on our part.

But definitely don’t want to put the rabbits through that again.

I’m sure there will be a pooch out there for us somewhere.

Yea :) maybe talk to the rescue centre if there's any placid chill doggies they think may be worth at least seeing how they react?

I must admit I'm going to be going through a similar thing in the next year.. I want a rhodesian ridgeback, when my house is done, which is a hound... I fear I'm gunna be having similar issues, and a lot of recall issues... [emoji38] It may just work out that it's not suitable for the buns, in which case they come first and I'll have to rethink, but I think dogs and buns coexisting is possible, as long as enclosure for buns is predator proof :)

Personally I just don't allow predators and prey with each other so I never bother about whether a dog is gonna be prey driven or not because they cant be trusted anyways. So it's like a moot point. Thinking they'd be ok with prey is just luring you into a false sense of security, meaning you might not be as careful as you otherwise would be to keep them apart.

Honestly, I always have a hard time understanding why people on here are so insistent on getting a dog that's good with little animals for this reason. Like...what's the thought process? When you get a cat do you check first if the cat is ok with hamsters (lol), or do you just ensure the hamster is kept safe e.g. put in another room? I mean, I actually did have a cat that was good with hamsters but it's not like you can ever seriously trust a cat. I just figure the same with dogs.

And I disagree about terriers as well. One of my terriers is as trustworthy as can be around small animals, protective even, she's never shown any inclination that she wants to hurt them. We got her at 8 weeks and she'll be 13 years old next month. Her brother isn't too bad around small animals, he doesn't go nuts, but he's certainly not trustworthy. We only trust him around cats - but not small kittens. So it goes to show that it's just pointless to choose your pets based on stereotypes.

I've also heard people say you can't have Labradors and ducks, but I have and my lab was great with the ducks. You can't predict how things will turn out so no use worrying about it imo, just take things as they come (while protecting your rabbits, obviously).

In your case I'd just put up a sight barrier - e.g. a small fence. Just to keep them from seeing/sniffing at each other. It sounds like your rabbits won't be happy with any dog sniffing their run considering they aren't used to dogs yet, and any dog is def gonna wanna check the rabbits out, whether he actually wants to hurt them, play with them, or is just simply curious.
I agree but I think the concern is, space in the UK honestly, my garden at my house is so tiny and even though the buns will have enough room any dog I bring home will need to be able to use the garden and not be fixated and trying to get to them all the time, and unfortunately some dogs are like that, it's stressful for everyone involved.

But definitely agree with not stereotyping breeds, altho as a general idea can be helpful in some instances :)

I agree but I think the concern is, space in the UK honestly, my garden at my house is so tiny and even though the buns will have enough room any dog I bring home will need to be able to use the garden and not be fixated and trying to get to them all the time, and unfortunately some dogs are like that, it's stressful for everyone involved.

But definitely agree with not stereotyping breeds, altho as a general idea can be helpful in some instances :)

In cases where a sight barrier wouldn't work while you're outside with them, then maybe let the dog use the front yard for going pee/poo and just go on walks and places for the dogs exercise. I mean a tiny garden doesn't provide much exercise for a dog anyways so no big loss. This is what we do with our dogs pretty much. Our lab hung out in the backyard a lot while we were out there but the other dogs just have walks and go out in the front yard (kinda various reasons for it but nothing to do with prey animals).

With the OP talking about letting the dog sniff the rabbits hutch/run...I wouldn't be happy with that at all. That just sounds cruel to the rabbits. I'd be ok with my dogs sniffing my rabbit cages because they're used to each other and I know them and I know they wouldn't be scared, but some strange dog doing that to rabbits that clearly don't like/aren't used to dogs? That doesn't sound like a good situation.

for me, any animals that I own need to be able to cohabit to some extent..

if you have rabbits in the garden, and you want to let the dog out to have a wee and a stretch of a legs sometimes, they need to be able to cohabit unless you are able to fence of any site of the rabbits. many can not do this, here in the UK most gardens are small - as I think you're in the US? maybe I'm getting you confused with somebody else. but usually you guys have huge gardens, we don't. so its pretty difficult to fence of a part of the garden with no sight to the rabbits. our gardens are tiny, if we even have one.

or, the dog is never allowed in the garden - which isn't ideal.

or, you have to have the dog on a strict leash - which still isn't ideal.

people want their animals do co-habit to a certain extent.

nobody is asking, or saying, "get a dog that doesn't react so you can leave it to clean the rabbits butt" - we're asking of said animal to not care, to coexist. nobody is saying leave the dog alone with the rabbits.

no - not all terriers are prey driven. but the point I am making is that many do have a high prey drive, making the chance of them and the rabbits coexisting slim on most cases. yes all dogs are different, but they are not "sterotypes". usually terriers have a high prey drive. usually labradors love water. usually labradors are food driven. usually huskies are noisey. see the point? these are things that are "common" among the dog breed. its why if you don't have time to go on 5 mile walks, you're not recommended to get a border collie, they are very energetic. there might be one in 500 that is lazy, but its not the "norm".

nobody is saying trust the dog because it doesn't care. people just want them to coexist.

In cases where a sight barrier wouldn't work while you're outside with them, then maybe let the dog use the front yard for going pee/poo and just go on walks and places for the dogs exercise. I mean a tiny garden doesn't provide much exercise for a dog anyways so no big loss. This is what we do with our dogs pretty much. Our lab hung out in the backyard a lot while we were out there but the other dogs just have walks and go out in the front yard (kinda various reasons for it but nothing to do with prey animals).

With the OP talking about letting the dog sniff the rabbits hutch/run...I wouldn't be happy with that at all. That just sounds cruel to the rabbits. I'd be ok with my dogs sniffing my rabbit cages because they're used to each other and I know them and I know they wouldn't be scared, but some strange dog doing that to rabbits that clearly don't like/aren't used to dogs? That doesn't sound like a good situation.

I don't have a font yard [emoji24][emoji24] hahaha well I do.. But it's just enough to back my mini on sideways across the front of it...

Altho I live in a London Borough, the rest of the UK has more space than what I have.

I wasn't gunna use my garden for exercise, but I like to have doors open etc and the dog can go in and out etc, I guess it all depends on people's unique situations. For me a dog that was fixated on my bunny enclosure just wouldn't work :)

If I had more space, pah wouldn't let anything near each other, wouldn't worry so much :D

Here you go, this is my front drive

d6942551a14a23c00d96199c05313275.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. I see your points but yeah I guess it just doesn't apply in my situation.

We don't leave doors open here (AC gets out, critters get in). And yeah our place is different being in florida with a yard that's different from uk yards. We've got a lot of wild animals in our yard and being big it's not secure and safe. It was ok for our bridge lab to be off leash in daytime while we were around but not for the small dogs who are more vulnerable to predators etc etc.

It's always just worked for us to go on walks and the lab went to the backyard to pee while the yorkies and maltese go to the front yard. :)

I've been wanting to get my own dogs for ages, I'm particularly interested in northern/spitz breeds like american eskimo, husky, shiba, etc :) I don't really think about the what ifs of it - we didn't when we got our other dogs.

I just don't think it's a good idea to rely on the dog being ok with the rabbits. If you have to rely on them co-inhabiting then what happens if things change and they won't? I still feel a barrier would be best in this situation, especially at first. You only need inches for that - it can be super close to the rabbit's accommodation.

Hmm. I see your points but yeah I guess it just doesn't apply in my situation.

We don't leave doors open here (AC gets out, critters get in). And yeah our place is different being in florida with a yard that's different from uk yards. We've got a lot of wild animals in our yard and being big it's not secure and safe. It was ok for our bridge lab to be off leash in daytime while we were around but not for the small dogs who are more vulnerable to predators etc etc.

It's always just worked for us to go on walks and the lab went to the backyard to pee while the yorkies and maltese go to the front yard. :)

I've been wanting to get my own dogs for ages, I'm particularly interested in northern/spitz breeds like american eskimo, husky, shiba, etc :) I don't really think about the what ifs of it - we didn't when we got our other dogs.

I just don't think it's a good idea to rely on the dog being ok with the rabbits. If you have to rely on them co-inhabiting then what happens if things change and they won't? I still feel a barrier would be best in this situation, especially at first. You only need inches for that - it can be super close to the rabbit's accommodation.
Yea I totally get it :) your situation and space is great, I wish places in London weren't so cramped tbh [emoji38] and makes sense about the ac etc :)

I'm sure there is a dog out there that will fit well into your situation! I personally am uncomfortable with situations where prey and predator are allowed in close contact regardless of breed, but in your case I think that's fine where the rabbits are protected inside their hutch/run but dog also needs to have access to the garden where they can ignore the rabbits. Growing up we had a big garden so the rabbits and dogs were kept in separate areas of the garden. My first dog of my own was a Belington terrier from working lines, my rabbits were updates so dog was never allowed upstairs. Our current dog is a poodle X German Spitz, he is allowed upstairs but only when the rabbits are shut in their room. When the rabbits are out in the garden in a run I have trained jack to ignore them. At first he was interested in a playful way with them but I didn't want him always lied so close to the rabbits pen so I rewarded him when he looked away from them/settled away or walked straight past etc. He was 10 when I got him but he really quickly picked it up, now he can walk past their run and ignore them. My rabbits aren't scared of him luckily, they pay him no attention! So I wouldn't limit yourselves to a puppy as an older dog can be as easy to train if you've done a rabbit visit first that's a really good idea.

yeah here we don't have AC, or if you do you're probably on a good income or have been saving up for a while. AC units that are standalone seem to cost 300, 400 pounds if not more. critters aren't too much of a concern, but then again we don't exactly have things like fly nets/bug nets etc. the most is flies, moths & spiders (shivers).

yards are small, if you have one. I think ours is big at 20ft x 15ft (roughly), but many have smaller. many have shared yards as they're in flats/apartments so the space isn't exactly yours. I think ours is the biggest across three streets, if not close to it, many others are like 10ft x 10ft where I live - and I'm not even in london.

front yards these days are concrete and for parking, not exactly grassy nor a yard nor are they big. they have room for a car, for you to walk to your door, and that's it. they're not fenced in either (some are, but its rare). its just like a place for you to park a car.

the point of allowing a dog to go out into the backyard isn't for exercise - but more if the dog wants to go out and get some air, stretch legs, pee etc in between walks. you can leave the door open and they can do what they please.

I don't know what type of barrier you're thinking, but everything that comes to mind either would be too flimsy, wouldn't provide any protection, or just would take up far too much space. for a dog not to be fixated on the rabbits you would need a large non seethrough fence/barrier around them. something such as puppy panels wouldn't work as dog could still see the rabbits, and it would easily be knocked over. you would basically need an entire fence of some sort in my description, which isn't feasible.

its not out of order or too extraordinary to just ask of your animals to coexist. if a dog can't deal with rabbits being there and wants to be at them, then they're not suitable. for me if an animal can't coexist without serious conflict then its a deal breaker for me. I'm not asking for them to be left alone with no barriers around them, but enough "trust" if you will for them to just leave them alone. I don't want the rabbits jumping all over a dog and biting them, I don't want my dog jumping all over the rabbits and biting them.

dunno, for me its an issue if dog doesn't get along - since mine are indoors and always will be. so my future dog/cat will have to learn

Back