• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinated Rabbit Catching Myxi?

IdaMae

New Kit
My best friend has two rabbits, Delilah and Bella, who we think are Belgium Hares, but Pets At Home weren't able to tell us. She got them both at 10 weeks old, on 28th May 2018. They were vaccinated for RHD1 and Myxi on 1st June 2018 and RHD2 two weeks later.

Delilah was diagnosed with myxi yesterday evening. She's not even 6 months old yet.

The vet has never seen a case of a vaccinated rabbit catching the disease, and said apart from red and swollen eyes and genitals, she's not behaving like a myxi bunny. She's still eating and drinking and is generally very active in herself. She's been given baytril and metacam. She can get critical care if and when needed.

Does anyone have any experience with vaccinated buns still becoming poorly? Did they get better, and if they did, how long did it take? Or any tips on helping a bun with this? I know the survival rate for unvaccinated buns is pretty much non-existent :(

A big concern of mine is that my friend was with my rabbits less than 24 hours prior to hers being diagnosed. Will mine be at risk and what precautions should I be taking? Mine are also both fully vaccinated back in February, and are 9 month old netherland dwarfs. They weigh a lot less than my friends two.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - It is possible a wild bunny was in her garden. We both live out in the middle of the country, so we are guessing that's probably how Delilah was exposed to this. Could it possibly be a developing new strain?

I am sorry to hear about your little rabbit. I have read of a couple of similar cases. One Vet Nurse recommended keeping the rabbit at around 72F and giving anti-biotics. Someone else may have more advice for you.

I'm no vet/vet nurse but yes, I believe that vaccinated rabbits can still contract the disease, but the vaccines can help them fight it and/or give them a better chance of survival. It's like us humans having the flu vaccine - it won't stop us getting it but will help us fight it off, that kind of thing.

I am sorry to hear about your little rabbit. I have read of a couple of similar cases. One Vet Nurse recommended keeping the rabbit at around 72F and giving anti-biotics. Someone else may have more advice for you.

I'm no vet/vet nurse but yes, I believe that vaccinated rabbits can still contract the disease, but the vaccines can help them fight it and/or give them a better chance of survival. It's like us humans having the flu vaccine - it won't stop us getting it but will help us fight it off, that kind of thing.

Unfortunately, about 2 hours ago, my friend had to make the heartbreaking decision to let Delilah go. Bella isn’t showing any signs of symptoms yet.

The vets have advised me to keep an eye on my girls, although they haven’t been mixed with my friends rabbits, my friend did visit them on Wednesday evening.

Hopefully all of our remaining rabbits will be okay.

Unfortunately, about 2 hours ago, my friend had to make the heartbreaking decision to let Delilah go. Bella isn’t showing any signs of symptoms yet.

The vets have advised me to keep an eye on my girls, although they haven’t been mixed with my friends rabbits, my friend did visit them on Wednesday evening.

I am sorry to hear that your friend had to let Delilah go :cry:

As a major vector of transmission of Myxo is via blood sucking insects I'd advise you to treat your Rabbits with Advantage spot on flea treatment

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Advantage-for-Rabbits/products/1156/

Do check with your Vet first though.

I'd also advise your friend to treat Bella with Advantage too (after checking with her Vet)

Some additional information here ;

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/myxomatosis/

I'm so sorry to hear this. It's heartbreaking :(

Thanks. My girls actually had a routine spot on treatment less than 2 weeks ago, so I wouldn’t want to add anything extra to them yet, but will check with their vet.

I’ve scrubbed down their shed with F10 SCXD today, doused all their toys, fixtures and furnishings with the stuff. I’m waiting for virkon to arrive tomorrow. I’ve thrown their rugs and wicker basket, and put all their duvets, cushions, blankets and quilts on the hottest wash I can find on our washing machine. Hopefully it’s minimsed as much as possible.

Hopefully, as your rabbits are vaccinated, they will be ok. You are doing everything you can. Good luck. Sorry about your friend's rabbit, hope the other one stays well.

Back