Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I blame you, Jane!

Warren Veteran

It is supposed to be only in their system for 6-8 hours max. but I've googled that a lot and apparently the pain killing effects that vetergesic has with rabbits does outweigh the downsides of them not wanting to eat, oddly enough - probably because we as their carers can give them Recovery by oral syringe maybe? Pain relief is priority, eating is next, so I don't know. However, seeing how badly Thumper reacted with it I really don't want her to have it again if possible as it did take her 8 hours to get over it, Coco it's taken 4.

Coco's fine now, happily munching away, so I'm going down shortly to give them a final fuss and then lights out for the night. I just hope that she remains okay now.

I'd done my sums wrong before - in 16 days it's actually been 4 vet visits, not 3 - 2 of those being on the same day as one was to the out of hours vet. Not that it really matters but I was having a bath and it was bugging me that I was sure I'd missed one so I was lying there working it out, as you do .

My girls Coco and Thumper (respectively)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    8 hours? After three days I contacted the vet and she said it couldn't be the vetergesic.

Oh yes it was, and I could prove it
    Yea, as you know Atticus wasn't right for months after, and has never been the same since, William said he'd put it in his notes that he was never to be given it ever again and that his cat had, had a similar reaction

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    It is supposed to be only in their system for 6-8 hours max. but I've googled that a lot and apparently the pain killing effects that vetergesic has with rabbits does outweigh the downsides of them not wanting to eat, oddly enough - probably because we as their carers can give them Recovery by oral syringe maybe? Pain relief is priority, eating is next, so I don't know. However, seeing how badly Thumper reacted with it I really don't want her to have it again if possible as it did take her 8 hours to get over it, Coco it's taken 4.

Coco's fine now, happily munching away, so I'm going down shortly to give them a final fuss and then lights out for the night. I just hope that she remains okay now.

I'd done my sums wrong before - in 16 days it's actually been 4 vet visits, not 3 - 2 of those being on the same day as one was to the out of hours vet. Not that it really matters but I was having a bath and it was bugging me that I was sure I'd missed one so I was lying there working it out, as you do .

Yes I know it's 8 hours max, but it really can affect some bunnies adversely for a lot longer than that.

If I had taken my vetergesicked (new word!) rabbit back to the vet for further tests I honestly believe at that point I would have lost him. He had just given up. I did find a way out of the conundrum, but it wasn't easy!!

Yes I know it's 8 hours max, but it really can affect some bunnies adversely for a lot longer than that.

If I had taken my vetergesicked (new word!) rabbit back to the vet for further tests I honestly believe at that point I would have lost him. He had just given up. I did find a way out of the conundrum, but it wasn't easy!!
    That's the same with Atticus - given up was exactly how I'd have described it! And then afterwards... Scared and extremely aggressive.. I went from the sweetest bun ever, to one who bit me so badly now I have a friendly bun who has learnt to trust.. But often gets scared and is unsure.. And then gets ill... I'm sure it's so rare, but it really worries me.

Flip side Clementine has had it lots, and way more of it than Atticus had... And shook it off in an hour or so

There are many, many people who wish I'd just ...................

Glad to read that Coco has recovered

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF)- The UK'S biggest and best organisation for Rabbit lovers

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Rabbit Health and Diseases, a list of useful online information

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2- VACCINATION IS ESSENTIAL

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

Sorry I missed all of this, I’m glad she is feeling better

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    That's the same with Atticus - given up was exactly how I'd have described it! And then afterwards... Scared and extremely aggressive.. I went from the sweetest bun ever, to one who bit me so badly now I have a friendly bun who has learnt to trust.. But often gets scared and is unsure.. And then gets ill... I'm sure it's so rare, but it really worries me.

Flip side Clementine has had it lots, and way more of it than Atticus had... And shook it off in an hour or so

They react so differently. Just like humans, I guess

Warren Veteran

Crikey, it's frightening to read of the side effects that some of you have had with vetergesic - at least my two weren't quite that bad! But I will do my best to remember to ask the vet not to give it to them next time.

Jane - me too with the zip!

Update - they're both back outside this morning but as a precaution I've left the tarpaulin down on the run so that it gives them protection from the wind, as it's a bit cool again today (and raining now in fact though not much), but they enjoyed their bounce around the garden this morning. I think once Coco felt better last night she rather enjoyed her fusses in the house, and again this morning, but they are far happier outside, so fingers & paws crossed she'll be okay now.

I can't get over so many vet visits/generally under the weather incidents in such a short period of time - that has never happened before to my memory. It may be weather related as it's changed so rapidly here over around the same time - the weekend was very warm again (even I didn't need a cardi with my short-sleeved top so it must have been warm ) and yet Monday was cold and windy, which is when Tuesday morning Coco was unwell. Who knows. Rabbits are fickle and of course pedigree (like pedigree anything) are so much worse.

Bloody rabbits .

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Crikey, it's frightening to read of the side effects that some of you have had with vetergesic - at least my two weren't quite that bad! But I will do my best to remember to ask the vet not to give it to them next time.

Jane - me too with the zip!

Update - they're both back outside this morning but as a precaution I've left the tarpaulin down on the run so that it gives them protection from the wind, as it's a bit cool again today (and raining now in fact though not much), but they enjoyed their bounce around the garden this morning. I think once Coco felt better last night she rather enjoyed her fusses in the house, and again this morning, but they are far happier outside, so fingers & paws crossed she'll be okay now.

I can't get over so many vet visits/generally under the weather incidents in such a short period of time - that has never happened before to my memory. It may be weather related as it's changed so rapidly here over around the same time - the weekend was very warm again (even I didn't need a cardi with my short-sleeved top so it must have been warm ) and yet Monday was cold and windy, which is when Tuesday morning Coco was unwell. Who knows. Rabbits are fickle and of course pedigree (like pedigree anything) are so much worse.

Bloody rabbits .

I think *you* have to be the one to remember.

Although it's on the rabbit's file, I have found that (like in the NHS) the vet doesn't always have time to read all through everything when you visit.

Warren Veteran

I think *you* have to be the one to remember.

Although it's on the rabbit's file, I have found that (like in the NHS) the vet doesn't always have time to read all through everything when you visit.
    Yes, I know, it's not on the girls' files at the moment anyway, so the vet is totally unaware of my concerns, therefore it'll be something to bring up the next time we go. And the time after if the vet doesn't mention it ... etc.!