• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leg paralysis, seizures, eye watering

Thinking of you all and sending strength and prayers for you at this very difficult time. You have done so much to help your bunny, as Jane has said, and surely he knows how much you care for him. I am so sorry that you are faced with this decision. :(

I am so sorry to hear about your bunny. We can all see he is a very much loved part of the familly. Please be kind to your self you have tried every thing possible and try to remember the good times. Keeping you in our thoughts.

So sorry to hear this sad news, you have done your very best for your bunny, I'm sure he knows how much he is loved xxx

Just got back from the vet, where we just had him put down today. They were very good about it, let us take our time. He munched on dates and kale. We hugged him, got kisses back. The end was very peaceful, but still brutally painful for us. My wife and I are really shaken up about it, knowing it was the right thing, as his quality of life was poor and getting worse, but not wanting to say goodbye to someone we love. Will I ever miss him. This is the first one in a long line of rabbits over my life that I've had to euthanize. I feel no guilt, my wife is struggling with the decision, although she knows in her head it was the right thing to do.

My little buddy was strong, kind and handsome right to the end. His life was long and rich, and he knows he is loved.

Thank you all for the kind wishes and advice. I really appreciate it.

Just got back from the vet, where we just had him put down today. They were very good about it, let us take our time. He munched on dates and kale. We hugged him, got kisses back. The end was very peaceful, but still brutally painful for us. My wife and I are really shaken up about it, knowing it was the right thing, as his quality of life was poor and getting worse, but not wanting to say goodbye to someone we love. Will I ever miss him. This is the first one in a long line of rabbits over my life that I've had to euthanize. I feel no guilt, my wife is struggling with the decision, although she knows in her head it was the right thing to do.

My little buddy was strong, kind and handsome right to the end. His life was long and rich, and he knows he is loved.

I am really sorry for your loss. Lots of hugs for you and your wife today. Binky free little bun xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry :cry: you did the kindest thing for him, although I know how hard it is :cry:

Thinking of you and your wife xx

From Friend to Friend

You've given me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through those last few cherished days,
Your courage made me proud.
But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.
I looked deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I saw in you the magic, that
Once more made me whole.
The strength that you possess,
Is why I looked to you that day,
To do the thing that had to be done,
For it was the only way.
That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.
Please, understand just what this gift,
You've given, means to me,
It gave me back the strength I'd lost,
And all my dignity.
You took a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you did was right,
For I believe it too.

And don't despair my passing,
For I will not be far away,
Forever there, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.
I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll hop,
...a young Rabbit once again.

Adapted version of a poem (c) Karen Clouston

h4jWjXr.jpg

I am so very sorry :cry: Sending you and your wife loads of hugs. Knowing it was the right thing to do, in my view, doesn't make it any the less distressing. Beautiful Rex boy you were loved and will be missed so much :love:

i am so sorry.
it's very difficult when the time comes and i'm not sure the pain of the loss ever truely leaves us.

xxx

So sorry for your loss. It is always a hard decision to make but truly it sounds as if this was the kindest and right one 💖

I think you've been incredibly brave and kind to your good friend.
I'm sure he'll feel loved and will be grateful for you making the right decision for him.
I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye to him, it sounds like you had a great relationship.
Binky free lovely rabbit x

You've summed it up brilliantly, you did everything you could for your handsome boy and you were able to be with him until the end. Condolences to you.

I'm sorry for your loss, you did a final act of kindness for your boy.Binky free little one,whole again at the bridge x

Back