• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leg paralysis, seizures, eye watering

Vet called today about the xray results. She says the experts see neither a problem with his teeth, nor with his inner ear. They did however recommend a CAT scan. That just isn't practical. The nearest CAT scan machine is an 8 hour drive from here. Also, the vet said he would have to be under general sedation to undergo a cat scan, and that would be risky.

My instinct is that there is something wrong with his ears. Inner, outer, not sure. I will continue with his ear drops. I am looking in there with a flashlight, and they look clear at this time.

Do you notice that he becomes any more wobbly immediately after applying the ear drops ?

Vet called today about the xray results. She says the experts see neither a problem with his teeth, nor with his inner ear. They did however recommend a CAT scan. That just isn't practical. The nearest CAT scan machine is an 8 hour drive from here. Also, the vet said he would have to be under general sedation to undergo a cat scan, and that would be risky.

My instinct is that there is something wrong with his ears. Inner, outer, not sure. I will continue with his ear drops. I am looking in there with a flashlight, and they look clear at this time.

I can't remember what antibiotics he is on?
Would the vet consider injectable penicillin?

Do you notice that he becomes any more wobbly immediately after applying the ear drops ?

No, he just shakes his head a bit because of the liquid in his ears. He actually doesn't seem to suffer any discomfort at all from the drops, and licks my hand as I do, and afterwards when I massage the base of his ears to try to get it distributed thoroughly

I would say his condition is pretty stable these days. Wobbly, but not getting better or worse. He did have a bad, screaming seizure yesterday, the first one I have observed in weeks.

Last edited:
I can't remember what antibiotics he is on?
Would the vet consider injectable penicillin?

He isn't currently on any systemic antibiotic, just the baytril brand ear drops.

Do you think I should push her to prescribe it?

I mentioned an injectable antibiotic to the vet, and she said they were talking about it. But that's as far as that subject went. She probably hasn't pursued the idea further since the xrays appear to show no inner ear infection. But, that could clearly be a false negative.

I mentioned injectable penicillin in particular, and her reply was that there are some risks. She didn't elaborate. But, there are certainly risks in letting him continue with an inner ear infection, correct, but the weak part is not being able to prove he has it.

Last edited:
I'm afraid my poor bunny has reached the end of his life. He can't get up anymore to eat or drink. I can lift him to his feet, and he can then move around, but he isn't eating anything during the night, as I am afraid he is unable to get to his feet. I don't know if there is any further treatment options available. I am trying the narcotic pain killer once again, to see if that makes any difference in his mobility.

I'm afraid my poor bunny has reached the end of his life. He can't get up anymore to eat or drink. I can lift him to his feet, and he can then move around, but he isn't eating anything during the night, as I am afraid he is unable to get to his feet. I don't know if there is any further treatment options available. I am trying the narcotic pain killer once again, to see if that makes any difference in his mobility.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Has your vet considered any other treatment options?

I am sorry to hear that he is not doing at all well now :cry: Facing an end of life situation is very hard and I am sure that everyone on here can empathise with how you are feeling x

I'm so sorry to read your update.
We do our absolute best but sometimes there comes a point when there is nothing further we can do. As Jane said, we can all empathise with how you are feeling. X

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Has your vet considered any other treatment options?

We've been doing Metacam, had him on baytril for a couple of long spells, did panacur for 30 plus days. Unfortunately our vet, while she comes highly recommended, doesn't seem to have the same treatment ideas that you people seem to have. The buprenorphine seems to have had some effect, I saw him get up twice now. I gave it to him around 2 1/2 hours ago. Must be a pain issue if that's helping him. He sleeps a lot, but is still very loving and responsive. He wants his treats and he want to get out of his cage and visit.

I'll give the vet a call this afternoon. Unfortunately my wife has grave health issues that we are also dealing with, so we are off to the oncologist for the afternoon.

I am sorry to read this about your poor lad :( I'm also sorry that your wife has health issues :(

Sending lots of good wishes to you all.

I am sorry to hear about your rabbit. It is so difficult at times to know exactly what is wrong and you and your Vet seem to be doing all you can for him. I have just read through all the posts but unfortunately can't be of any help. It is a pity your Vet is reluctant to try Penicillin injections but you can't force her. Perhaps he has a brain tumour? I am very sorry you are in this sad position.

I’m so sorry to see your latest update, I’m so sorry that your wife is struggling with her health too :cry: sending lots of vibes.

We've been doing Metacam, had him on baytril for a couple of long spells, did panacur for 30 plus days. Unfortunately our vet, while she comes highly recommended, doesn't seem to have the same treatment ideas that you people seem to have. The buprenorphine seems to have had some effect, I saw him get up twice now. I gave it to him around 2 1/2 hours ago. Must be a pain issue if that's helping him. He sleeps a lot, but is still very loving and responsive. He wants his treats and he want to get out of his cage and visit.

I'll give the vet a call this afternoon. Unfortunately my wife has grave health issues that we are also dealing with, so we are off to the oncologist for the afternoon.

I'm so sorry that the news isn't better, and also that your wife has such serious health issues.
What a lot to deal with :(

Hugs and vibes for you x

I am so sorry that you are in this situation with your bunny at the same time you are dealing with your wife's health issues.
Your bunny is loving and responsive, and still wants to get treats and visit so try to enjoy each day.
Sending you, your bunny, and your wife many positive thoughts for a good result.

Thanks. My wife received good news at the oncologist visit, her cancer is stable. As for my poor bunny, I am considering trying a different vet, but it might be too late as his condition has deteriorated a fair bit in the last 3 days. He can barely stand up any more and 90% of the time can't get back up after falling down in his cage. Its cruel to leave him struggling to get up, and I can't be there for him 24 hours a day. I have a call in to his existing vet to ask about options.

Last edited:
Vet called. She is getting in the injectable penicillin. We are going to give it a try. It seems to me that his leg paralysis that started about a year ago, coincided with his sensitivity or irritation around the base of his ears. Maybe there is a connection?

Vet called. She is getting in the injectable penicillin. We are going to give it a try. It seems to me that his leg paralysis that started about a year ago, coincided with his sensitivity or irritation around the base of his ears. Maybe there is a connection?

I'm so glad your vet has agreed to try the injectable penicillin :thumb:

Firstly I am glad to hear that your wife's condition is stable, my friend's husband received similar news from his Oncologist yesterday too :)

I do hope that the Penicillin injections bring about some improvement for your Bunny. I guess it is a case of trying it and holding on to hope. Please update us when you can x

It is likely that your bunny was unable to clean his own ears due to his leg paralysis. It is good to hear your vet had a change of heart and will try the injectable penicillin.
It was comforting to hear your wife got some positive news at the oncologist.

I’m glad your wife had good news from the oncologist, and I hope that the injectable penicillin helps your rabbit. Topping up the vibes :thumb:

Back