• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leg paralysis, seizures, eye watering

Now I am worried about the ear drops. Could my vet actually see his eardrum to make sure it hadn't burst? I'm going to call and confirm. This has me really worried.

Edit: I have called the vet and left her a message. I want to establish that she verified his eardrum was intact. There was so much gunk in there, where did it come from? I worry that it was from the middle ear given the large volume of dried pus.

Please don't worry! You are doing your utmost best and you have to trust the vet knows what they are doing.

Sending vibes for your bunny and calming for you x

She can offer x-rays. I have set up an appointment for it to be done. She is also going to flush out his ear so that she can examine his eardrum.

We need more information on what is going on with him. All of his problems coincided with his sensitivity of the back of his head / base of his ears almost a year ago. When you would touch the top of his head, he would abnormally crane his neck back. Nothing like he ever did before. Not just a wanting to rub his head, as is normal, but really going crazy with bending his head back 100 degrees or more.

Last edited:
She can offer x-rays. I have set up an appointment for it to be done. She is also going to flush out his ear so that she can examine his eardrum.

We need more information on what is going on with him. All of his problems coincided with his sensitivity of the back of his head / base of his ears almost a year ago. When you would touch the top of his head, he would abnormally crane his neck back. Nothing like he ever did before. Not just a wanting to rub his head, as is normal, but really going crazy with bending his head back 100 degrees or more.

A CT scan would be the best method of diagnosis, but I am sure your vet knows what she's doing.

There are several people who have a lot of experience on this Forum of inner ear infections.
Good thread here with lots of excellent advice by Parsnipbun, a very experienced rabbit owner

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tent-ear-infection-U-D-Smudge-amp-Harley-gone

Also Ruth:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...fection!-(-(&highlight=ruthyjones89+infection

What would be the best drug to use for an ear infection? My vet seems to rely heavily on baytril, but from what I read in those posts, that may not be effective. What is abx?

How do I locate a local vet that does CT scans? Doesn't seem that anyone in our province does CT scans for pets. Have to travel to a neighbouring province, 600 km or more.

Last edited:
What would be the best drug to use for an ear infection? My vet seems to rely heavily on baytril, but from what I read in those posts, that may not be effective. What is abx?

How do I locate a local vet that does CT scans?

Choice of abx is best made from the results of culture and sensitivities testing of a swab taken from the ear. This would identify the exact bacteria involved and what abx the bacteria is sensitive to.

Often an injectable Penicillin is prescribed for Otitis. Scroll down to 'Treatments' on here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

How do I locate a local vet that does CT scans? Doesn't seem that anyone in our province does CT scans for pets. Have to travel to a neighbouring province, 600 km or more.

abx = antibiotics :)

Baytril has been found to be useful in ear conditions, but possibly (here in the UK) we have found injectable penicillin to be the drug of choice. All down to the attending vet.

I wish I was in a country that had more developed veterinary care for rabbits. Seems like Europe has far more rabbit fanciers, and a more skilled veterinary community when it comes to rabbits.

My vet simply looked at the swab she took from my rabbit under a microscope. That doesn't sound very useful to me. I studied microbiology and microscopy, and know that you need to culture and stain bacteria to identify them. That takes days. I'm afraid a look at dried pus would only show the remnants of dried white blood cells. The xray sounds like it could completely miss the problem. I am sad.

I wish I was in a country that had more developed veterinary care for rabbits. Seems like Europe has far more rabbit fanciers, and a more skilled veterinary community when it comes to rabbits.

My vet simply looked at the swab she took from my rabbit under a microscope. That doesn't sound very useful to me. I studied microbiology and microscopy, and know that you need to culture and stain bacteria to identify them. That takes days. I'm afraid a look at dried pus would only show the remnants of dried white blood cells. The xray sounds like it could completely miss the problem. I am sad.

To be fair, sending it away for a culture and sensitivity test doesn't always bear fruit. Sometimes there's no definitive antibiotic that will work. But there are several that are worth trying, depending on what protocol your vet decides to use.

Can you insist that the swab is sent away for testing?

I tried the buprenorphine this evening. I used the smallest dosage they recommended. I tried to squirt it into his cheek. It was such a tiny amount, I'm not sure where it went in his mouth. I waited about an hour, then let him out. Can't say it produced a noticeable improvement in his mobility. Maybe, maybe not. His appetite is really good though. He is eating a lot of timothy hay, and devouring the apple branches I give him. Tomorrow is the trip to see the vet again and try to xray him. Unfortunately xray is as good as it gets around here. I can ask about culturing a swab from his ear. Would be good to know what organism it is or was. Funny this happened while he was on both baytril and panacur.

I tried the buprenorphine this evening. I used the smallest dosage they recommended. I tried to squirt it into his cheek. It was such a tiny amount, I'm not sure where it went in his mouth. I waited about an hour, then let him out. Can't say it produced a noticeable improvement in his mobility. Maybe, maybe not. His appetite is really good though. He is eating a lot of timothy hay, and devouring the apple branches I give him. Tomorrow is the trip to see the vet again and try to xray him. Unfortunately xray is as good as it gets around here. I can ask about culturing a swab from his ear. Would be good to know what organism it is or was. Funny this happened while he was on both baytril and panacur.

Sometimes Enrofloxacin (Baytril) does not address the specific pathogen involved in the infection, maybe because the abx cannot penetrate the core of the infection and/or the bacteria involved are resistant to Enrofloxacin. Also, when given orally it can be a challenge to get a therapeutic dose into the bloodstream.

IME injectable abx are preferable when treating otitis. Best wishes for the appointment with the Vets,

As I mentioned in my previous post, Baytril although it has shown to be effective in some cases of ear infection, isn't always the drug of choice. Vets in the UK often give injectable penicillin for this kind of thing and it can work well. I don't know whether that's an option to discuss with your vet?

I will certainly bring it up. I see no harm or disrespect in doing that. She seems open to suggestions, aside from eschewing the corticosteroids, which you have pointed out wouldn't have been appropriate anyhow as he seems to have some sort of infection. I hope he behaves calmly for the xrays, otherwise they will have to sedate him.

I will certainly bring it up. I see no harm or disrespect in doing that. She seems open to suggestions, aside from eschewing the corticosteroids, which you have pointed out wouldn't have been appropriate anyhow as he seems to have some sort of infection. I hope he behaves calmly for the xrays, otherwise they will have to sedate him.

Most Vets are very open to discussing other treatment options that a client may suggest. IME most Vets' priority is to help the animal in their care rather than to massage their on ego by adopting the 'I am the Vet, dont question my professional judgement' approach. There may be some 'Vet bashing' seen on here, but personally I think a lot of it may be unjustified.

It sounds like your vet is restricted in what she can do, and that probably is no fault of hers?

Yes I hope he is calm for the X-rays to avoid any unnecessary anaesthetic.

There is absolutely no disrespect in talking through other possibilities with a vet :)

Appointment went well today. My boy was well behaved and they got good xrays without having to sedate him. They told me he didn't get nervous at all, but he did get mad. I'm not sure what all he did, but I believe that to be his personality. She is sending the xrays off to some bunny experts to get their opinion on various issues, such as his inner ear, and roots of his teeth.

Appointment went well today. My boy was well behaved and they got good xrays without having to sedate him. They told me he didn't get nervous at all, but he did get mad. I'm not sure what all he did, but I believe that to be his personality. She is sending the xrays off to some bunny experts to get their opinion on various issues, such as his inner ear, and roots of his teeth.

I am glad that the procedure went well and I hope that you do not have to wait too long for the results xx

Great that they got good X-rays without sedation :)

I am also pleased his attitude is still with him, a good sign and I hope things progress well for you both

I picked up the prescription for the outer ear drops. Its baytril brand. Its a mixture of two different antibiotics, and it says that its safe even if there has been a rupture of the tympanum. The vet flushed his ears and was able to observe the ear drum. She said it was very red, so it may have ruptured at one time. I can't figure out how all that gunk could get there in only days, unless there was a rupture. She says both ears had gunk in them now, prior to her flushing them both out. She looked in the one previously clear ear, only 2 days before, and it was clear. How could gunk be getting in his ear so rapidly unless there is a rupture?

Last edited:
Vet called today about the xray results. She says the experts see neither a problem with his teeth, nor with his inner ear. They did however recommend a CAT scan. That just isn't practical. The nearest CAT scan machine is an 8 hour drive from here. Also, the vet said he would have to be under general sedation to undergo a cat scan, and that would be risky.

My instinct is that there is something wrong with his ears. Inner, outer, not sure. I will continue with his ear drops. I am looking in there with a flashlight, and they look clear at this time.

Back