• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leg paralysis, seizures, eye watering

What a lot you're having to deal with.

Good to read the update about your wife.

I hope your bunny responds well to the new treatment.xx

Back from the vet. She gave him an antibiotic injection at the office and gave me a bottle and four more syringes to take home. I am to give him a subcutaneous shot every day for 5 days total. I did one myself with just saline at the vets office so that we would both know I was able to do it. Also got the prescription for buprenorphine and Metacam renewed.

Back from the vet. She gave him an antibiotic injection at the office and gave me a bottle and four more syringes to take home. I am to give him a subcutaneous shot every day for 5 days total. I did one myself with just saline at the vets office so that we would both know I was able to do it. Also got the prescription for buprenorphine and Metacam renewed.

I'm glad your vet has given you the meds and renewed prescription.

Best wishes for you both

I really hope that you will see some improvement in your Bunny's symptoms, sending you all very best wishes x

He is doing really well today. He can get up, and it appears he is eating and drinking during the night. I just gave him antibiotic shot number 2. Went much easier than my practice injection at the vet's office. I was kind of nervous when I did it. This one went easy, and he didn't react at all to it. I put him in a tall box on a table to give him the injection, so that he couldn't go anywhere, and would be stable and at a comfortable height for me to work on him. I did the subcutaneous injection around the area of the loose skin of his shoulders. Pinched up a big fold, inserted the needle fully at 45 degrees, drew back to make sure I hadn't hit a blood vessel, then did the injection.

After I put him down on the floor, he did a full lap of the living room. Something I haven't seen him do in a month. He is definitely improving, but that started before the antibiotic injections. Perhaps its the increased buprenorphine, although he didn't get any this morning because no one was around to hold him while I put some in his mouth. What ever is working, I am blessed that he is mobile again. Without mobility, he has no quality of life.

He is doing really well today. He can get up, and it appears he is eating and drinking during the night. I just gave him antibiotic shot number 2. Went much easier than my practice injection at the vet's office. I was kind of nervous when I did it. This one went easy, and he didn't react at all to it. I put him in a tall box on a table to give him the injection, so that he couldn't go anywhere, and would be stable and at a comfortable height for me to work on him. I did the subcutaneous injection around the area of the loose skin of his shoulders. Pinched up a big fold, inserted the needle fully at 45 degrees, drew back to make sure I hadn't hit a blood vessel, then did the injection.

After I put him down on the floor, he did a full lap of the living room. Something I haven't seen him do in a month. He is definitely improving, but that started before the antibiotic injections. Perhaps its the increased buprenorphine, although he didn't get any this morning because no one was around to hold him while I put some in his mouth. What ever is working, I am blessed that he is mobile again. Without mobility, he has no quality of life.

I will say this quietly so as not to jinx things ...........we may have a much needed miracle in progress................

It sounds as though you have the giving of injections off to a fine art already, well done !

I really hope that your rabbit continues to improve now :thumb: topping up the vibes.

Wow, this is wonderful news :)

Well done you for your injection technique as well!

My wife is doing well. Thanks so much for asking. Bunny, not so well. His rear leg problem is as bad as its ever been once again. I'm really sad to say it, but he is going to have to be euthanized. Because he can't get up on his own, he spends all night lying on his side. I see he doesn't eat or drink anything until the morning when I set him back on his feet. He is losing weight because of his inability to eat and drink. I think that his life has become such a struggle that I would be only keeping him alive for my own selfish sake as I can hear him at night struggling to get up, thrashing about. It breaks my heart to see him struggle like that. We have tried everything and nothing seems to heal his bad rear leg, and his inability to get back up after lying down is pretty much the last straw. I bring him out, and set him between my legs and pet him. He enjoys being groomed, and licks me in return. But if I stop supporting him, he falls over and lies there until I put him up. He is urinating on his rear legs as he can't get up. Its sad to see, and I've delayed this until the last possible point in time, but his life just can't be enjoyable for him anymore. He has had a good life, and is almost nine. I am really going to miss the little guy.

My wife is doing well. Thanks so much for asking. Bunny, not so well. His rear leg problem is as bad as its ever been once again. I'm really sad to say it, but he is going to have to be euthanized. Because he can't get up on his own, he spends all night lying on his side. I see he doesn't eat or drink anything until the morning when I set him back on his feet. He is losing weight because of his inability to eat and drink. I think that his life has become such a struggle that I would be only keeping him alive for my own selfish sake as I can hear him at night struggling to get up, thrashing about. It breaks my heart to see him struggle like that. We have tried everything and nothing seems to heal his bad rear leg, and his inability to get back up after lying down is pretty much the last straw. I bring him out, and set him between my legs and pet him. He enjoys being groomed, and licks me in return. But if I stop supporting him, he falls over and lies there until I put him up. He is urinating on his rear legs as he can't get up. Its sad to see, and I've delayed this until the last possible point in time, but his life just can't be enjoyable for him anymore. He has had a good life, and is almost nine. I am really going to miss the little guy.

I am pleased to hear that your wife is doing well.

So sorry about the little bunny though, It sounds like you've done everything and nothing more can help him now :(

My thoughts are with you at this time x

Sometimes the only thing left that we can to to help a sick Bunny is to let them go :cry: I am sorry that you are now having to make that heartbreaking decision :cry:

I hope that you and your wife take some comfort in knowing that you tried everything possible to enable your Bunny to recover, Letting him go being your final act of true love and compassion,

May 2019 be a better year for you and I do hope that your wife continues to do well xx

I’m glad your wife is doing well but I’m so sorry to hear about your bunny :cry: I know you have done everything you could for him, and I think you are making the best decision for him now.

Thinking of you all xx

Back