• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pinworms - symptoms and treatment?

Squishies

Warren Scout
ok, so first up, huge apologies if this question gives anyone the shivers! (I'm useless with nematode worms and maggoty things, I get the total creeps)

Can I ask those more experienced than me, what the key symptoms, and, importantly, best treatment for pin worms, are, please?

I have two new-ish house bunnies who came to me in somewhat less than 'tip top' condition (I had to treat for mites, eye infections etc), and I now wonder whether I should have wormed them too?

- Are utterly insatiable appetites a symptom of worms in bunnies in the same way we joke about for humans? (honestly, these two just don't stop munching)
- Is Panacur the best 'catch-all' treatment or am I missing something better (before I order a load online!)
- and perhaps most importantly, if I suspect worms, how do I make sure they are not passed to the other bunnies in my household? (do I need to be super precautionary and treat everyone at the same time, even if the others are outside? -- I suspect 'yes', I should teat everyone if they have any shared play areas?)

Thanks as ever, wise ones!

x

ok, so first up, huge apologies if this question gives anyone the shivers! (I'm useless with nematode worms and maggoty things, I get the total creeps)

Can I ask those more experienced than me, what the key symptoms, and, importantly, best treatment for pin worms, are, please?

I have two new-ish house bunnies who came to me in somewhat less than 'tip top' condition (I had to treat for mites, eye infections etc), and I now wonder whether I should have wormed them too?

- Are utterly insatiable appetites a symptom of worms in bunnies in the same way we joke about for humans? (honestly, these two just don't stop munching)
- Is Panacur the best 'catch-all' treatment or am I missing something better (before I order a load online!)
- and perhaps most importantly, if I suspect worms, how do I make sure they are not passed to the other bunnies in my household? (do I need to be super precautionary and treat everyone at the same time, even if the others are outside? -- I suspect 'yes', I should teat everyone if they have any shared play areas?)

Thanks as ever, wise ones!

x

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Pinworms_inf_lagomorphs.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm

Thanks Jane!

...is mebendazole in Panacur? Or do I need to go to the vets for a prescription if I suspect?

Thanks Jane!

...is mebendazole in Panacur? Or do I need to go to the vets for a prescription if I suspect?

The active ingredient in Panacur is FENBENDAZOLE which is effective for treating pinworms

Fenbendazole (J29.5.w1)
10-20 mg/kg orally and then repeat in 10-14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2)
25 ppm in feed for five days was effective at eliminating both immature and adult pinworms. (J83.15.w3)
If individuals are showing reduced appetite due to severe infection, 50 ppm in feed ensures an adequate dose for all rabbits. (J83.15.w3)
Thiabendazole
50 mg/kg orally and then repeat in 10-14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2)
Piperazine (B24, J29.5.w1)
Orally: 200 mg/kg and then repeat in 14 days. (B602.19.w19, B609.2.w2) OR
In feed: at 0.5 g/kg per day for two days, for adult rabbits; 0.75 g/kg per two days for juvenile rabbits. (B602.19.w19) OR
In drinking water: 100 mg/100 mL of water for one day and then repeat in ten days. (B602.19.w19, B614.11.w11)
It may be necessary to carry out repeat treatments. (B609.2.w2)
Treat all the rabbits in the environment. (B609.2.w2)
Note: Ivermectin is not effective against this nematode. (B600.16.w16, B603.3.w3, B609.2.w2, J1.32.w11, J29.5.w1)
Monitor faecal egg counts post-treatment. (B609.2.w2)

Full details as in one of the links I previously posted :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Pinworms_inf_lagomorphs.htm

Back