• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit doesn’t like cushioned floor

Hi everyone I’m new here and have been looking for help on something. My rabbit (possibility of being a mix between dwarf and something else. Weighs 1.8 pounds) does not like cushioned areas. We live in an apartment with wooden floors so we try and put as much cushioned fabrics around for him, especially in his favorite spots. He does not like them. He will usually avoid the areas I’ve placed the fabrics on or lay next to them instead. I’ve noticed his hocks have started to get a bit red. I was trying to avoid him getting sore hocks. I’ve also tried big containers of hay for him to eat out of or sleep in and instead he will sit and eat from the outside. Any suggestions on what to do so he likes cushioned areas and also what can I do to cure what little sore hock he has going on right now, so it doesn’t get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello there,

This is interesting - my ones are not keen on bare floors and much prefer soft rugs and padding. We have foam mats in the bunny room and they are very comfortable hopping about.

What kind of fabrics are you using? Could it be that it feels “slidey” for him? Maybe a runner with a rubbery underside might work better; something that stays in place?

They are pernickity little things, it could be that it smellls “wrong” or he doesn’t get a good grip when moving around.

Does he snooze straight on the floor?

Hello there,

This is interesting - my ones are not keen on bare floors and much prefer soft rugs and padding. We have foam mats in the bunny room and they are very comfortable hopping about.

What kind of fabrics are you using? Could it be that it feels “slidey” for him? Maybe a runner with a rubbery underside might work better; something that stays in place?

They are pernickity little things, it could be that it smellls “wrong” or he doesn’t get a good grip when moving around.

Does he snooze straight on the floor?

I have put fleece out for him. I even taped the fleece to his sleeping corner because he digs it away. I have used other soft fabrics but they’re a no go. I even tried a towel and he ignored it. He loves to sleep straight on the hardwood floors. I even bought him a doggie bed and he will only go in it to play with his apple sticks and that’s it.

Depending on what sort of fabric you are using and how much fur loss/sore skin has already occured on his hocks it could be that hopping on/sitting on the fabric makes his hocks hurt more. Especially carpet like fabric or anything even slightly abrasive. Rubber matting may be more acceptable to him, if not aesthetically pleasing to you !

eg - https://www.slip-not.co.uk/productdetail/Interlocking-Rubber-Stable-Mats

What is his general mobility like ?

Are his toenails trimmed regularly ?

What to do about his sore hocks really depends on the exact stage of the problem. It would be best to consult a Vet before trying any 'home treatments' as sometimes applying topical creams etc can make things worse, Without actually being able to see the extent of the problem I am reluctant to advise you to try any topical treatments without first consulting a Vet.

A bit of further reading here :

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/app/uplo...is-in-rabbits-an-under-recognised-problem.pdf

http://www.bridgevetcentre.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.shtml

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

Hi everyone I’m new here and have been looking for help on something. My rabbit (possibility of being a mix between dwarf and something else. Weighs 1.8 pounds) does not like cushioned areas. We live in an apartment with wooden floors so we try and put as much cushioned fabrics around for him, especially in his favorite spots. He does not like them. He will usually avoid the areas I’ve placed the fabrics on or lay next to them instead. I’ve noticed his hocks have started to get a bit red. I was trying to avoid him getting sore hocks. I’ve also tried big containers of hay for him to eat out of or sleep in and instead he will sit and eat from the outside. Any suggestions on what to do so he likes cushioned areas and also what can I do to cure what little sore hock he has going on right now, so it doesn’t get worse.

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I usually find that rabbits prefer hardwood floors to soft things when they are hot overall and prefer cool conditions. I don't know how that fits with where you are.

To avoid sore hocks, I would check his nails and make sure they are trimmed regularly. You could also ask your vet to examine him for any lack of spinal mobility.

There are topical creams you can apply in order to prevent sore hocks from getting worse but the first port of call might be your vet to check that all is OK within himself first.

Here are suggestions of creams - I wouldn't use them if the skin is very red or broken.

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

Some more info here:

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/sore_hocks_pododermatitis_in_rabbits.pdf

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/sore-hocks.html

http://www.vetcareltd.co.uk/pet-factsheets/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.shtml

Thank you for the recommendations and links I will be reading them.

When I first got him I noticed he looked a little down because of the warmth so I lowered the thermostat. I have now been wearing sweaters indoors. I live in South Texas so we have very warm and humid weather at the moment. I have also gotten fans so that he could be comfortable. It’s pretty chilly inside our home now with all the adjustments. He looks a little happier than when we first got him (temperature wise).

The fabrics I have been using are fleece, and even a cotton bedsheet. Since he pushed them out of the way or ignored them I got a towel as well to see if he wanted something he could play with as well. He also refused the towel. Last night I went to the store to buy more fleece items and I have found ways to hold them down to the areas he frequents. He can’t move them anymore, and maybe sees that he won’t be able to so he’s trying them out. That’s a big step for him. I will look into the rubber matts, maybe that will be a good idea for his play area in the corner.

I have gone ahead and scheduled a vet appointment for this Saturday. I asked over the phone what I could do for now and they suggested I bring him in instead so that they can see how far a long his sore hocks are. I’m just trying to keep an eye on them for now and hopefully reduce any discomfort for him.

He does love to run laps around the living room a lot so I have him in a pen for now, hopefully that helps until the vet visit.

Thank you for the recommendations and links I will be reading them.

When I first got him I noticed he looked a little down because of the warmth so I lowered the thermostat. I have now been wearing sweaters indoors. I live in South Texas so we have very warm and humid weather at the moment. I have also gotten fans so that he could be comfortable. It’s pretty chilly inside our home now with all the adjustments. He looks a little happier than when we first got him (temperature wise).

The fabrics I have been using are fleece, and even a cotton bedsheet. Since he pushed them out of the way or ignored them I got a towel as well to see if he wanted something he could play with as well. He also refused the towel. Last night I went to the store to buy more fleece items and I have found ways to hold them down to the areas he frequents. He can’t move them anymore, and maybe sees that he won’t be able to so he’s trying them out. That’s a big step for him. I will look into the rubber matts, maybe that will be a good idea for his play area in the corner.

I have gone ahead and scheduled a vet appointment for this Saturday. I asked over the phone what I could do for now and they suggested I bring him in instead so that they can see how far a long his sore hocks are. I’m just trying to keep an eye on them for now and hopefully reduce any discomfort for him.

He does love to run laps around the living room a lot so I have him in a pen for now, hopefully that helps until the vet visit.

You're really welcome.

I thought it must have some connection with warm surroundings ....

You are doing everything possible to help him, but I'm sorry you have to now wear sweaters! I think once you solve this problem you and the rabbit (what's his name by the way?) will be able to compromise on temperature.

Good luck with your vet visit :)

His name is Usagi, he’s about to be 4 months old.
Thank you so much for the help!
39c2d308f7425a6baccc8b618573a690.jpg

Last edited:
Back