• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many windows?

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hi all. I'm currently in the process of making a playhouse for my two rabbits. It will have a run permanently attached on a concrete base and access to supervised garden time when the fences are finished enclosing the garden. At the moment it doesn't have any windows (they are not in it yet). Im not sure how many to put in. I want a balance between fresh air and not being too cold when it gets to winter. Any suggestions?

I took all the Perspex windows out and meshed the lot! BUT I also put one of the pieces of wood that holds the window in at the bottom of each window, so I can put the Perspex back in if needed: today they have two windows in over their windowsill as it's raining. Some images:

1534912_10101597105845878_8979277189563149219_o.jpg

10497184_10101597105830908_7202247926933655447_o.jpg

We rarely have all the windows in: they flap around in the wind which is great for ventilation (much more important than keeping heat in!) but leaving the two under the eaves (top right and top left) out means there's good ventilation, whereas all in it gets a bit humid.

I took all the Perspex windows out and meshed the lot! BUT I also put one of the pieces of wood that holds the window in at the bottom of each window, so I can put the Perspex back in if needed: today they have two windows in over their windowsill as it's raining. Some images:

1534912_10101597105845878_8979277189563149219_o.jpg

10497184_10101597105830908_7202247926933655447_o.jpg

We rarely have all the windows in: they flap around in the wind which is great for ventilation (much more important than keeping heat in!) but leaving the two under the eaves (top right and top left) out means there's good ventilation, whereas all in it gets a bit humid.

That's a really good idea! I do similar but put polythene on the inside (it's easier for me!)

That's really helpful. Thank you. At the moment we dont have any windows at all as its an old shed we cut down so will be cutting a few big windows into it. Do keep them in it over winter? Im used to a hutch i put in the shed.

I use my old shed as a rabbit shed now - it only had 1 window so I removed the perspex and meshed the window but I use the perspex in the colder weather. It sits on the inside of the shed, resting on the window shelf I made and held on by a couple of turnbutton catches. Because the perspex sits an inch or so lower than the actual window frame it leaves a gap at the top which is good for ventilation (the window overlooks the run which has a roof on it so no rain can get in the window). Personally I would prefer to have another window to let a bit more light in. At the moment I leave the shed door open with the internal mesh door closed over while I’m in the shed as there’s not a lot of light through the 1 window. I’m not brave enough to try to cut another window hole in the shed though :lol:

Thanks for reply.

Think im leaving the cutting to hubby. I'd make a mess lol. Definitely good idea to do the perspex for colder weather and leave ventilation gaps. Think im going to put two windows at the top or one large and a shelf inside on that level so they can look out but go under it if too breezey then a small one on door.

Do keep them in it over winter? Im used to a hutch i put in the shed.
That's their permanent home, but they have a tiny silly hutch they can sleep in next to our house if the temperature, humidity etc. in their playhouse isn't to their liking :) The playhouse is opposite the side of our house :) If it gets REALLY cold for a long period we can hang a piece of old carpet over the front, but even when it was really cold for a week last winter we didn't have to, they were plenty warm enough in themselves.

Back