• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

That bit before....

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

So many of you will be familiar with the scenario of bringing home a new rabbit friend for an existing rabbit and that period before you can start bonding.

Where do you put newbie?

Do you have a spare area available?
Do you have to move things around to fit them in?
Do you section off part of your existing rabbits area, or keep them separate? Etc etc

Our new boy arrives today. We have plenty of space once they are bonded (I have contingency plans if they don't), but not very much in the meantime!

Can you bond before newbie finishes vaccinations if your current rabbit is covered, to speed things up, or is this a no, no?

Any help appreciated. Thanks x

Personally, but I could be paranoid, If it was me, wouldn’t bring a rabbit home until it was vaccinated, if I’d got other rabbits. I’d also want to quarantine for a while first.

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes ideally, but not possible in this instance unfortunately. He's a free ad bun and therefore I can't expect them to hang on to him for another couple of weeks x

I'd keep him completely separate, far away from every other bun personally, until vaccinated and panacured for 28 days and be really careful. That's what I do anyway, I realise it's not always possible to bring home a rabbit that's vaccinated so I just make sure there's no contact, but it is a risk I guess

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Bear in mind female rabbits are very territorial so I wouldn't put him near Blossom until you are ready to bond them.

Thanks for the replies.

He's here and we've set him up in our dining room for now. He's always been a house rabbit and is litter trained (although might get a little confused in a new environment) which is a bonus and is currently happy running around (we have a lounge / diner, so I can see him from the sofa :)).

Blossom is upstairs so won't see him at all yet.

I'll speak to our vet re: panacur, as it's not something we have done with our other rabbits, it's also something they don't recommend routinely either. Is it common to do this for a new rabbit?

I'll get his jabs started this week, but he won't be near any other buns in the meantime and we'll obviously be careful about hygiene etc (as much as we can with such a busy household) x

Panacur isn't something I have ever done unless there have been signs of worms or EC. I would just monitor his litter tray personally. Hope he settles in well :)

Back