Thread: Time post spay

Default Time post spay

Hi all,

It's almost 3 weeks since Blossoms spay op and she has recovered brilliantly. So we have started to think about a friend for her.

My dd has never been keen on bonding her with our Spud as he's so much younger (around 2 and she is approx 6) and he's not neutered yet.

However, ive come across a boy who is just as young, but sounds perfect and is already neutered.

Am I mad to think of bonding an older rabbit with a much younger one, not because of any difficulty, but because of how long they might have together? Or should I think of it as however long they get would be worth it?

Also has it been long enough post spay to consider starting any bonding?

Thanks x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

honestly, I don't think age matters too much in your average scenario.

of course, you will need to think long term. what will happen to said buck when Blossom passes as she will likely outlive him. will you be happy to rebond him to somebody else? he might also need a bit of extra TLC after the passing of Blossom also.

I've heard a lot of people say that when they have bonded a younger with an older, the older one has been given a new lease of life almost. a lot of them seem to really come out of their shell and become more energetic.

Blossom will likely have many more years to come (thinking positive), so those few years will be wonderful for the both of them. the only time I think age would matter is if you had a very ill bunny, that only had a few months to live, as I don't think the stress and attachment would be fair on either of them, esp the one that is left behind. but as Blossom is healthy, I don't see the issue

as for bonding, its recommended to leave 8 weeks after spay to allow hormones to calm down fully. so its a bit too early I would think
    Snoopy : 14.02.15 - 12.05.17 [mini rex]👑Luna : 14.02.15 [rex]👑Orion : 21.10.17 [mini rex]

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    Hi all,

It's almost 3 weeks since Blossoms spay op and she has recovered brilliantly. So we have started to think about a friend for her.

My dd has never been keen on bonding her with our Spud as he's so much younger (around 2 and she is approx 6) and he's not neutered yet.

However, ive come across a boy who is just as young, but sounds perfect and is already neutered.

Am I mad to think of bonding an older rabbit with a much younger one, not because of any difficulty, but because of how long they might have together? Or should I think of it as however long they get would be worth it?

Also has it been long enough post spay to consider starting any bonding?

Thanks x

Hi there

Four weeks posts spay and the hormones should have settled and the spay wound healed up.

I bonded a 13 year old rabbit with a 5 year old - it's personality rather than age I find makes or breaks it.

Also, as for time together, our rabbits are so unpredictable in their longevity it's something I personally wouldn't worry about.
    However, on that point, in order to avoid having one rabbit left behind in future, I bonded a group of four
    Just saying - you could add two neutered males to the mix (I know you don't want to get two really!)

Thanks both for the replies. I'm going ahead, collecting tomorrow . But since when did I make life easy!

He's going to need vaccinations and time to settle, so Blossom will have a little longer to recover.

Will keep you posted x

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeB's View Post
    Thanks both for the replies. I'm going ahead, collecting tomorrow . But since when did I make life easy!

He's going to need vaccinations and time to settle, so Blossom will have a little longer to recover.

Will keep you posted x

Amazing! What brand is he ThreeB's?

He's a lovely black Dutch x