• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey’s results Update p68

Weedug, I am so sorry to hear about Honey's condition. I hope the medicine will make her feel better while you are waiting for your next appointment. I wish we could have our bunnies' gift of being oblivious to the passage of time so that it would be a bit less trying for us. You are both in my thoughts and I'm sorry for all the hardship you've faced lately. ((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) xxxx

Today is the day for Honey’s ct scan. She should have had it at 4 this afternoon, and I’ll get the results tomorrow morning. I need to decide whether to go ahead with a biopsy or not. So far I’m having a tough time deciding what to do. I would like to know if it is cancer but don’t want to use all the insurance that is left since Honey stops eating regularly.

They will also be looking at the changes in her spine, at her abdomen and her head since she has chronic snuffles.

I hope that the scan doesn’t reveal anything serious :cry: thinking of you and Honey xx

Today is the day for Honey’s ct scan. She should have had it at 4 this afternoon, and I’ll get the results tomorrow morning. I need to decide whether to go ahead with a biopsy or not. So far I’m having a tough time deciding what to do. I would like to know if it is cancer but don’t want to use all the insurance that is left since Honey stops eating regularly.

They will also be looking at the changes in her spine, at her abdomen and her head since she has chronic snuffles.

Sorry I missed your post yesterday.

How did Honey get on ?

Thank you all for thinking of Honey. I haven’t heard from the vet yet. They did say it would be this morning before they had the full results.

I’m still undecided about the biopsy. I don’t want Honey to go through too much, but am wondering if there is a chance the lump could be infection, given her long term pasturella, rather than cancer.

Honey is back home now. The good news is there is no thymoma. However, there are 4 areas of increased density in her lungs which they said may be the result of atypical pneumonia or the spread of a tumour that hasn’t been located. There is mild enlargement of the spleen, with a 2mm module as well.

The only other significant thing that showed up is swelling of the soft tissue and bone loss around the back of the left lower jaw. Expansion of the bone at the roots of the last 3 left lower molars, indicating dental abscess, and moderate enlargement of the mandibular lymph nodes.

Since these findings were found by “accident” and not what Honey was referred for, she has been referred back to my usual vet to decide what to do now. They said they would be happy to see her back if need be. The options are surgery for the abscess or treatmtent with antibiotics to see if it helps and if it doesn’t the next step would be surgery.

The report says the swelling is under the masseter muscle and they would recommend a ventrolateral approach to minimise damage to the muscle, which sounds very complicated to me.

I’m waiting to speak my my vet and am trying to decide what would be best for Honey. It seems very scary putting her under an anaesthetic when there is a problem with her lung.

I’m glad she is back home and there is no thymoma. I hope the vet can help you decide what to do. I know you will do whatever is best for her as always.

Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Sending you and Honey some positive vibes. What to treat (or not) and how is always a difficult decision. I am sure your vet will impart some wisdom that will help you make a decision.

Thank you both. My vet isn’t in until next Tuesday. Honey is ok within herself so I’m hoping it’s ok for her to wait till then for me to discuss things. If her condition changes she’ll obviously be taken straight in.

I'm glad Honey's results weren't as bad as feared. They found quite a bit though didn't they. I appreciate this is a really difficult decision to make (IE how to proceed) - I think I'd want my vet to guide me too. Nose bumps for your girlie & hugs for you xx

Sorry to hear about Honey's troubles! My Kiki has a long term dental abscess and has been treated successfully with betamox LA injection, she gets one every two days! It's really kept the abscess at bay and she hasn't needed surgery since the original one to drain it! Her abscess had a bit of an atypical presentation, it is under the back right molar, but instead of coming out under her jaw is tracked up to come out on her cheek, my vet hadn't seen that before! She opened the chee and drained it and Kiki thankfully has had no problems with the muscles!

She's currently seeing the Royal D1ck and had a CT yesterday for a malignant melanoma, they seem really good!

Thank you both. My vet isn’t in until next Tuesday. Honey is ok within herself so I’m hoping it’s ok for her to wait till then for me to discuss things. If her condition changes she’ll obviously be taken straight in.

I am sure you will do whatever is in Honey's best interests, as you have always done for all of your 4 legged friends xx

I finally managed to get to speak to my own vet. She has said that the operation to remove the abscess would be a major op, because of where the abscess is situated. She considers that the risks would be too great for Honey, given the problem with her lungs. The vet also thought trying to get some samples from the lungs to be too risky.

So the current plan is to try baytril and penicillin injections and see if they help either problem. My vet is still consulting with D1ck vet over the results of the scan and the best non invasive treatment.

So far, Honey is well and seems happy.

I’m glad Honey is well and happy, I hope that the baytril and penicillin help, and that your vet can come up with a plan. Topping up the vibes xx

Back