• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reporting rabbit welfare issues

Elop

Warren Scout
Ok so if it happens that you have come across a breeders facility where you have concerns about the animals who should it be reported to. The animals had shelter, food and water so their “basic” needs were met but the overcrowding was shocking. Can I report this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so if it happens that you have come across a breeders facility where you have concerns about the animals who should it be reported to. The animals had shelter, food and water so their “basic” needs were met but the overcrowding was shocking. Can I report this?

I don't think breeders have to give the space etc that pet owners do unfortunately :(

You could email the rwaf, do you have pictures of the conditions they are being kept in? Are there any sick untreated animals?

I know it must be awful but I've learnt that even if it is, there's not necessarily anything that can be done - best to get evidence and approach maybe the rwaf and see what they think or even the rspca.

Poor buns :( x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

No I didn’t take photos as the owner was there. Yes quite sure some animals were sick. I know it’s bad but I bought a rabbit. I didn’t realise it was an intense breeding facility to which I was going. I know I’ve just lined the beepers pocket by buying it. I couldn’t leave it though. ☹️. I’ll contact rspca and rwaf.

No I didn’t take photos as the owner was there. Yes quite sure some animals were sick. I know it’s bad but I bought a rabbit. I didn’t realise it was an intense breeding facility to which I was going. I know I’ve just lined the beepers pocket by buying it. I couldn’t leave it though. [emoji3525]. I’ll contact rspca and rwaf.

I totally understand :( I make a point of never buying animals from pets at home, but I did last year, sadly she's no longer here, but I get it, I wouldn't have changed that decision for anything.

How is your bunny? It's not Charlie I'm guessing?

Yea I'd contact them, but I fear there's not loads that can be done for breeders unless it's really really bad maybe? Hopefully someone else will know more x

I don't think breeders have to give the space etc that pet owners do unfortunately :(

You could email the rwaf, do you have pictures of the conditions they are being kept in? Are there any sick untreated animals?

I know it must be awful but I've learnt that even if it is, there's not necessarily anything that can be done - best to get evidence and approach maybe the rwaf and see what they think or even the rspca.

Poor buns :( x

Yes, Grace is right, and there's not a lot anyone can or will do about breeders. They can keep rabbits in much smaller spaces, and the ones I've seen keep them like 'living ornaments'

Mailing the RWAF is about the best you can do, but without pictures, or anything to substantiate, I doubt they could get involved at all.

If you were sure there were sick and suffering rabbits, you wouldn't need photos, but could contact the RSPCA for advice. That should be done asap because of the rabbits' welfares.

You could also contact the local council. If the person is selling 'stock' then he/she should be registered as a business and Licensed

https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home

If they are advertising 'stock' for sale online then contact The Capone Campaign via the RWAF

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/campaigns/capone-campaign/

You could contact the RSPCA, but if the basic 5 freedoms of the Rabbits are being met

http://www.woaw.org.au/14andOver/about-rspca/the-five-freedoms/

Then there may be little the RSPCA can do other than offer the Breeder advice about how to improve things.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/contactus

No I didn’t take photos as the owner was there. Yes quite sure some animals were sick. I know it’s bad but I bought a rabbit. I didn’t realise it was an intense breeding facility to which I was going. I know I’ve just lined the beepers pocket by buying it. I couldn’t leave it though. ☹️. I’ll contact rspca and rwaf.

Did Charlie come from that breeder? How's his health?

You could also contact the local council. If the person is selling 'stock' then he/she should be registered as a business and Licensed

https://www.gov.uk/run-business-from-home

If they are advertising 'stock' for sale online then contact The Capone Campaign via the RWAF

You could contact the RSPCA, but if the basic 5 freedoms of the Rabbits are being met

http://www.woaw.org.au/14andOver/about-rspca/the-five-freedoms/

Then there may be little the RSPCA can do other than offer the Breeder advice about how to improve things.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/contactus

Jane how do you contact the capone campaign? Sorry I looked at the link I may have missed it

Hi guys, no Charlie didn’t come from there thank goodness. He came from a really lovely lady that cares hugely for the welfare of her pets, she often emails to see how he is. This was a place in Leeds. My god it was awful. My husband walked out because of the stench of s**t. I’ve reported to rspca as the noises the cats were making were not normal. She passed it off as a furball but it wasn’t. It was infection. No I stupidly bought a bunny there today. I couldn’t leave it. It’s away from Charlie. It will be going to vets for health check and vaccines. It’s a little nethie. I know it’s so stupid but my heart was telling me to buy him but head saying no. I had wanted to go becaus they said they had lovely lops and I’m on the look out for an adult to bond with Charlie. We are on the list for the rescue bunny Freshia but they can’t reserve her till Charlie has his bits off. Touch wood Charlie is very healthy and happy and is currently having a fabulous time playing in the garden this afternoon. So I’ve reported the place to rspca and said there are sick animals there. The owner was so awful. Swearing and shouting and aggressive with the rabbits. I’ll email rwaf too.

Also contacting local council as that place should be registered

No not really, I thought I'd missed something [emoji38]

I can't read that without subscribing apparently :(

How strange .. I can read it all :)

Here's the content .....

A new campaign hopes to tackle unlicensed rabbit breeders. The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF) has launched the Capone Campaign with support from Pets Corner.

It addresses fears that breeders in classified, online advertisements are not subject to regulations, legislation or welfare checks.

Using bespoke software, the charity has analysed thousands of ‘rabbit for sale’ adverts to identify unlicensed pet retailers allowing its Welfare Officer to provide robust evidence to the relevant local authority to catch the culprits.

By reporting traders in this way the RWAF aims to:

Identify unlicensed sellers where welfare standards are potentially poor
Make local authorities aware of the problems that unlicensed sellers cause
Make it more difficult for these sellers to operate so that it is less appealing and less rewarding
Uncover poor welfare standards that can then be reported to the RSPCA and action taken
Make a log of responses and actions taken by local authorities and identify idle areas or those requiring improvement
Gather information to build a sound basis for lobbying for better welfare or resources in local authorities
To date two online sellers have been licensed by their local authorities as a direct result of the campaign – a first for England and a hugely encouraging coup for the campaign. As well as a warning to other back yard breeders, retailers will be inspected annually and be required to follow set conditions to help to improve rabbit welfare.

Rae Todd from RWAF said: “The RWAF hope these examples will set a precedent for local authorities to interpret the act in a way that reflects what is happening in today’s society. Where this doesn’t happen, we are keen to enter a dialogue with DEFRA to tighten the guidelines.

“We are eager for a change in the law to help regulate and control online sellers of pets, but until then we will continue to work with the tools we have. If more sellers can be uncovered and licensed it all helps in the battle for positive animal welfare.”

Hi guys, no Charlie didn’t come from there thank goodness. He came from a really lovely lady that cares hugely for the welfare of her pets, she often emails to see how he is. This was a place in Leeds. My god it was awful. My husband walked out because of the stench of s**t. I’ve reported to rspca as the noises the cats were making were not normal. She passed it off as a furball but it wasn’t. It was infection. No I stupidly bought a bunny there today. I couldn’t leave it. It’s away from Charlie. It will be going to vets for health check and vaccines. It’s a little nethie. I know it’s so stupid but my heart was telling me to buy him but head saying no. I had wanted to go becaus they said they had lovely lops and I’m on the look out for an adult to bond with Charlie. We are on the list for the rescue bunny Freshia but they can’t reserve her till Charlie has his bits off. Touch wood Charlie is very healthy and happy and is currently having a fabulous time playing in the garden this afternoon. So I’ve reported the place to rspca and said there are sick animals there. The owner was so awful. Swearing and shouting and aggressive with the rabbits. I’ll email rwaf too.

Ah okay, well I hope your new addition is okay, you'll have to post some pictures [emoji7] glad you've reported the place sounds terrible

How strange .. I can read it all :)

Here's the content .....

A new campaign hopes to tackle unlicensed rabbit breeders. The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF) has launched the Capone Campaign with support from Pets Corner.

It addresses fears that breeders in classified, online advertisements are not subject to regulations, legislation or welfare checks.

Using bespoke software, the charity has analysed thousands of ‘rabbit for sale’ adverts to identify unlicensed pet retailers allowing its Welfare Officer to provide robust evidence to the relevant local authority to catch the culprits.

By reporting traders in this way the RWAF aims to:

Identify unlicensed sellers where welfare standards are potentially poor
Make local authorities aware of the problems that unlicensed sellers cause
Make it more difficult for these sellers to operate so that it is less appealing and less rewarding
Uncover poor welfare standards that can then be reported to the RSPCA and action taken
Make a log of responses and actions taken by local authorities and identify idle areas or those requiring improvement
Gather information to build a sound basis for lobbying for better welfare or resources in local authorities
To date two online sellers have been licensed by their local authorities as a direct result of the campaign – a first for England and a hugely encouraging coup for the campaign. As well as a warning to other back yard breeders, retailers will be inspected annually and be required to follow set conditions to help to improve rabbit welfare.

Rae Todd from RWAF said: “The RWAF hope these examples will set a precedent for local authorities to interpret the act in a way that reflects what is happening in today’s society. Where this doesn’t happen, we are keen to enter a dialogue with DEFRA to tighten the guidelines.

“We are eager for a change in the law to help regulate and control online sellers of pets, but until then we will continue to work with the tools we have. If more sellers can be uncovered and licensed it all helps in the battle for positive animal welfare.”
Maybe coz I'm on my phone and thanks :D

No not really, I thought I'd missed something [emoji38]

I can't read that without subscribing apparently :(

The article is 2 years old. There is up to date info about the CC in the latest issue of Rabbiting On. Not sure if you are a member of the RWAF though so you may not have the latest Magazine.

I posted a bit about the latest CC info on the RWAF Sticky thread over in Rabbit Chat

On RU members sometimes highlight concerns for the welfare of a Rabbit(s) they have seen advertised online. Another part of the work that has been done by the RWAF to address the severe problem of online sales of Pet Rabbits is the 'Capone Campaign'. You can read about this campaign here :

2018 is the third year of the Capone Campaign. The Campaign has many aims going forward, with a specific Investigator ( previously a Police Officer) using specially designed software to identify people who appear to be operating at home as 'pet shops' and capture their online activity. The Investigator is being funded by 'Pets Corner' for another 12 months.
Any dubious cases will be referred to local Authorities, with support from DEFRA. The sellers will also be reported to HMRC. The selling sites will be notified that the individual is a business and not a private seller and their accounts should be listed as such. A log of the reactions of every local authority will be kept and used to report to the Minister for Animal Welfare at the end of the trial period to highlight where the legislation is not working and needs to be improved. There is also an intention to lobby for improved legislation where the need is identified.

The outcomes hoped for from all of this dedicated hard work are to identify unlicensed sellers. These are most likely to be 'Backyard Breeders' where welfare standards are very poor.

To make local authorities aware of the problems that unlicensed sellers cause.

To make it more difficult for these sellers to operate so that doing so is less rewarding

To report any poor welfare standards identified to the RSPCA and to have action taken.

A log of actions taken by local authorities. Equally a log of any incidents where-by a local authority does not respond to concerns raised.

To provide a sound basis for lobbying for better welfare and/or resources in Local Authorities.

There is a further update of the Investigator's work in the Autumn 2018 edition of Rabbiting on. This magazine is extremely informative and free to members of the RWAF. It really is a good read and there are excellent articles written by Veterinary Surgeons as well as lots of other information and of course lots of gorgeous Bunny photos :D

I would certainly recommend joining the RWAF, together we can all do our bit to help Rabbits.

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/one-year-uk-adult-membership/

Maybe you are looking for a gift for a Bunny loving relative or friend

https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/gift-membership-uk-only-one-year/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ssociation-and-Fund-(RWAF)-U-D-6th-Sept/page2

Back