• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor rabbit fence

bunnyman14

New Kit
So we're about 3 weeks away from the house being sorted, and snowy is currently with a friend, but we've knocked out the wall going from our living room into our pantry, to extend the lounge. we've decided this is going to be Snowy's new living quarters as its bigger than her pen atm, but as all of us are not at home 24/7 to be able to let her free range, we want to make a base quarters for her where she can find her hide, most of her toys, her food, water and litter tray, so just looking into ideas for what I can use to section off the area.
Should I just stick to an X-pen or build one from scratch with wood and mesh, I have seen some on pinterest that look like a picket fence which does look really cool, any ideas???

Also we're getting tiles put down and was just wondering, would people recommend foam playmat, a rug, or lino or even a newspaper base covered with shavings (what she's currently on)??

Thankss

You could use wood and mesh, picket (so long as the gaps don’t allow her to get stuck) wood and Perspex, or puppy pens. There’s some ideas on the housing sticky http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?304613-Indoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples.

For flooring it depends if your rabbit is a chewer, you could use foam playmat or tiles, Lino, non slip vynil. I wouldn’t recommend using shavings as these are known to release phenols which can lead to respiratory problems. You could use newspaper or wood pellet cat litter in an under bed storage box as a litter tray, and feed hay there too to encourage her to use it.

I really like wood and mesh because, especially if you're building it yourself, you get exactly what you want and it lasts a really long time. Flooring, though, I'm not sure indoors: I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I need to decide what my back bedroom gets renovated with as it may well end up one day as the buns' retirement room so I might as well start thinking about it!

I used to use foam panels when mine were in a pen, they worked quite well and easy to clean. They did start chewing them a bit but I got rid of the pen and they're free range now so not an issue. I've seen people use rubber flooring as they can't chew it as easily, I did buy some but it smelled so strong I never used it! In terms of the pen itself I had this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-M...36_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Puppy+pen&psc=1

You can buy additional panels and have it in either a rectangle or hexagon, I think the hexagon is better in terms of the space it gives.

I have lino, its easy & can be wiped clean. my two usual chewer machines haven't bothered to touch it (yet) but the main key thing is to just keep it out of their reach. buy some lino bigger than you need, so the corners are out of reach.

I'd personally always suggest a "heavy duty dog pen", like the one listed above. you can also fine they come with trays for the pen, but at more cost of course. normal dog pens are far to light so a determined bunny may be able to lift it up and get under. having said that, I've attached mine with bulldog clips and zip ties so they can't lift it up lol.

I wouldn't ever recommend shavings, they're dusty and pretty garbage at soaking anything up - they stink after a day. mine have wood pellet cat litter from P@H in their litter trays, which works well.

Personally I prefer panels made of wood & perspex / polycarbonate as it keeps the mess more contained and stops little teeth bring able to get to skirting boards etc :lol: my lot are particularly messy and destructive though! I made most of mine with twinwall polycarbonate roofing sheets as they were being sold off cheaply in b&q at the time. I currently have a combination of my home made panels and heavy duty puppy pen as I just haven’t had the time (or the inclination :oops:) to make more panels at the moment.

I use lino on the floor and a rug plus maybe a blanket if they can manage not to destroy it or pee on it.

Back