• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster please help!

I'm really sorry you are in this position. I feel for you as it must be so distressing, not least because it must be so difficult to know what to do for the best. I think also that it's very difficult for people to advise you as they have no experience of your rabbits. Different people also will have different views on how much of a risk to take when bonding.

My views based on the situation as I know it are:

I would be very afraid for the safety of both your rabbits if they are left overnight at the bonders.

I think rabbits are unpredicatable, so even if they appear to be OK with each other, something can sometimes occur without warning, which will alter that situation.

Whilst I think experienced bonders will have an indication as to whether a trial bonding will be successful, I very much doubt whether any could guarantee with 100% certainty, a durable outcome.

I think that some rabbits have an underlying feeling that they just do not want to bond with another rabbit and whilst that can sometimes be overcome successfully with a skilful bonder, if something upsets the balance between them then problems can occur.

If you do still want to try them together, I would keep them apart for a few months before starting again.

I'm very sorry this has happened. In my view the problems "may" have been the result of Truffle's prolonged illness and recovery, but I really think it's impossible to know for sure.

I'm really sorry you are in this position. I feel for you as it must be so distressing, not least because it must be so difficult to know what to do for the best. I think also that it's very difficult for people to advise you as they have no experience of your rabbits. Different people also will have different views on how much of a risk to take when bonding.

I would be very afraid for the safety of both your rabbits if they are left overnight at the bonders.

I think rabbits are unpredicatable, so even if they appear to be OK with each other, something can sometimes occur without warning, which will alter that situation.

Whilst I think experienced bonders will have an indication as to whether a trial bonding will be successful, I very much doubt whether any could guarantee with 100% certainty, a durable outcome.

I think that some rabbits have an underlying feeling that they just do not want to bond with another rabbit and whilst that can sometimes be overcome successfully with a skilful bonder, if something upsets the balance between them then problems can occur.

If you do still want to try them together, I would keep them apart for a few months before starting again.

I'm very sorry this has happened. In my view the problems "may" have been the result of Truffle's prolonged illness and recovery, but I really think it's impossible to know for sure.

Very insightful advice x

I am sorry your bunnies have fallen out so badly. Can they just live side by side for a few months? Then prehaps take them back to a bonder. That's what I did with Millie and Toby although I didn't use a bonder xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Our thinking for now is that because the bond was going ok before they were left at night and something random set Luther off (it’s happened once before when they were bonded and fireworks spooked Luther in the night and bit Truffle on his nose). We will try again possibly 6th nov if Truffle has healed as they are side by side in their own room now and since about the 10th, if it doesn’t go well we will either have a long hall of side by side like last time, they were like it for about 5 months then maybe try once more. Or give up depending the severity. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. Those injuries really are very nasty and personally I would be extremely reluctant to take any more risks. I am sorry this post wont be what you want to read. But I think it is important for others reading this thread to understand that there may be very differing opinions as to how much is too much when it comes to bonding risks.

That said, I am basing my opinion on noting the severity of the wounds inflicted. My rule of thumb has always been if blood is drawn during an obviously 'nasty' bonding fight I wont try again.

Just my personal opinion, which I have no doubt some will dismiss as 'rubbish'.

Best wishes for whatever you decide and I really hope that neither Rabbit suffers any more injuries.

They do look bad but I’m cleaning with iodine and water everyday and they are healing really well and faster than I thought.
I totally take onboard your comments and that’s why I’m here is for a general opinion of different people so I’d never knock anyone.

I can only draw on the previous experience with these two, I tried bonding myself and Truffle got his ears torn a bit the first time, few days later we tried again and it unfortunately happened again to the extent he screamed....it was awful! So then we tried an experienced bonder a few months later and she was horrible, I felt ill paying her! Our last effort again after a few more months of them living side by side was the bonders Fat fluffs an hour away.....and it worked! 8 months they’ve been best pals.

So based on that past I know his ears don’t look great but after all that before and it still worked im not sure I’m ready quite yet to give up after one try. BUT I’m not going to kid myself or let suffering happen unnecessarily by forcing anything either. For now the signs I’m seeing with them living opposite Truffle isn’t scared of him, stays near him and has no aggression which makes me feel he’s not ready to give up on his friend either just yet.

But I appreciate any opinions, advice and comments and always take them onboard.
Thank you me too, I just want it back to his thinks were x

Hi Omi *waves*
Thank you.
Yes exactly, my main thought and aim is to do what’s best for them. Yeah that’s also very true, although just the fact everyone is here and giving support of different forms does help me just being surrounded by other bunny people (most friends and family think we are crazy bunny owners lol).

No I totally agree with the overnight thing. However there’s not much I can do to change that, I will be asking if there’s anyway someone can stay there the night because the first day and night is most important, but I think the answer will be no (understandably) because they are a rescue/boarding centre. And there’s no one around here I know that can start the bond for me and can be with them full time so they are my best option and to be fair last time they were successful.

No I agree, and last time when they bonded the boys I was told they weren’t sure if it will cement but to carry on at home, but there we were 8 months down the line they we’re besties. I wouldn’t expect a guarantee as you say, bunnies are so complicated and often seemingly random to us hoomans.

The reason I think they can get back to being bonded is the bunny that broke the bond was the one who was previously ill and he’s not doing any aggression. So I think Luther the aggressor feels hurt by the bun who took 9 months to gain his trust, so we need to get him back over that hump. But I’m not going to push it to the point one or both are miserable or torn to pieces. At this point I think they deserve a chance, just like the first time round, we had an end point set in our heads of when to stop, but thankfully we didn’t get there.

Yes I think so too, but this is the thing I find hardest with animals, I like to have answers and know why things happen so I can control the situation in the future. But as with most things with our little family we can only guess at these things and hope for the future.
Thank you for your comment I really do appreciate any points of view or opinion, I’m definitely a person who loves to be packed with info and look at every side of situations

Thanks everyone for your support and comments I really appreciate it though this tough time.

Sorry I’m a bit slow with replies my app doesn’t seem to be sending alerts when I have a notification! Xx

Bonder returned my call today, the boys are booked back in on 6th nov as I thought it would be better to wait till after firework night.

I’ve now been informed this is their last time they won’t try again. I’m not sure if that’s in this instance or also apples to if they ever fall out again.
But I made a point of asking him to go back over and remind me again what the nighttime policy is. So if they feel the buns are getting ok then they are left over night, so this time they will be taken up to the house at night and someone will be on hand. So I feel better about that!

So basically this is it the big last stand for my boys to be reunited. I have seen lots of positive things with the bunny spy cam, loafing near each other, laying by the fence, some nose bumps with Luther not nipping. So hopefully Luther just needed more time to get over his friend being mean initially.
But just wanted to update :)

295f6669dd5e0e929df016a1e86aa8dc.png

40a5cac899a2c082bb53f9c7b4694696.png

Bonder returned my call today, the boys are booked back in on 6th nov as I thought it would be better to wait till after firework night.

I’ve now been informed this is their last time they won’t try again. I’m not sure if that’s in this instance or also apples to if they ever fall out again.
But I made a point of asking him to go back over and remind me again what the nighttime policy is. So if they feel the buns are getting ok then they are left over night, so this time they will be taken up to the house at night and someone will be on hand. So I feel better about that!

So basically this is it the big last stand for my boys to be reunited. I have seen lots of positive things with the bunny spy cam, loafing near each other, laying by the fence, some nose bumps with Luther not nipping. So hopefully Luther just needed more time to get over his friend being mean initially.
But just wanted to update :)

295f6669dd5e0e929df016a1e86aa8dc.png

40a5cac899a2c082bb53f9c7b4694696.png

You are such a trooper to continue with this.

I do see the bonder's point of view.
But I so hope it will work, as I know your circumstances won't permit separate accommodation permanently xx

Yeah I did too, I told him I understand but secretly I’m thinking please make it work lol.

Aw thank you I really appreciate that.
Yes exactly :-( and it will totally break my heart to have to rehome Luther. But I’m not going to push them too hard because I know I need to be fair to them too, the stress of it was giving me terrible dreams....mostly about poor Truffle only having half an ear and so on!! So it’s always on my mind to do the right thing.

I’m just praying they now remember how much better it was together, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that xx

Oh my lawd. If I saw that DBF I'd poop myself

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hahaha! I did squeak an awful lot lol! Another bit of bunny lingo I didn’t know about, think we need a thread on all the terms and abbreviations hehe!

But that has to be a good sign I hope :-D

Back