• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster please help!

I'm sorry your boys fell out & hope their time out makes them realise what they are missing. I know it will seem like ages to you but the bonders being able to help in 10 days or so sounds good really. You've always kept the faith that your two can make it as a couple so try your best to hang on to that now

Thank you. It’s so sad :-( they really loved each other.
Aww thank you, I’m trying so hard to keep the faith but the alternative just won’t leave my brain (I’m such a worrier)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair I wouldn't have put them back together so soon, whilst this memory of their recent fight is so fresh.

I don't think Truffle's eye has anything to do with it, honestly. It's one of those things that could have happened.

One thing though ... When you get them back together again (and I say when and not if, think positive) then I would seriously consider not keeping them confined to a hutch at any time. Give them more freedom and you may find this sort of thing never happens again. Small confined spaces can precipitate this kind of thing in friable situations, which you do have given their bumpy start ......

Breathe, and email/call me if you need a shoulder or a bit of moral support xx Hugs xx

Oh :-/ me doing that came from me panicking about having to start again, I just hoped maybe after a bit of time out they might be over it....I was wrong unfortunately.

I’m very much a person who likes to know why things happen and it’s so hard with rabbits because the way they think is just so blooming random lol. I don’t think I’ll ever understand them.

That’s a really interesting comment. I thought having a bedtime routine etc and them being away a few hours was a good thing, I’ve not really thought about it....again me thinking as a human not a bunny. That is definitely something we may need to look into and have the cats sleep in the living room not the kitchen (no animals are allowed in our room). Thank you for that, I’ll talk to Sam about it.

Aww thank you so much. I’m less panicked now I’ve sorted them out but I’m so upset still about it all when it was going so well. Having to start again is so daunting and sad. Thank you for your help and support xxx

I know 10 days away seems an age, but it might give them a chance to settle down apart and forget about their fight. There’s no one size fits all situations and to be fair you did exactly what I did when a pair of boys I’d just brought home from the rspca had a bit of a spat, I kept them confined to the hutch rather than the hutch and run, and they settled down straight away, so sometimes it works. I would try not to be disheartened, you’ve not done anything wrong:wave: hopefully a neutral situation will help them to settle the hierarchy again.

That’s why bunnies are so difficult! Their thoughts are so different to us and hard to read so it’s hard to know what’s right, and like you say none are the same either. I mean I was told they would never bond and they proved so many people wrong, I hope we will get there again because their bromance was so cute.
Aww thank you. It’s so nice to hear that, you can’t help but think it’s something you’ve done. I worried at first he heard the falling out of me and my OH the night before because Truffle is sensitive.....but we didn’t argue etc, he just stayed the night at his parents to be by himself and I was really upset so he’d have heard me, but I can’t imagine that would distress him the following afternoon.

Hopefully we are doing the right thing now.

usually things like this can "just happen" as harsh as that sounds. usually there is some sort of trigger - being given new territory, something changing, a bunny being unwell. they can & will know and that can kick things off. sometimes its even just a change in hormones, which can happen even when they're neutered, esp around spring time.

but, I would be willing to say locking them in a hutch is likely what started this off, if its a regular thing. bunnies get very frustrated at having loads of space to then being shut in of a night. Luna & Orion are not exactly squished in, but they still like to throw a hissy fit at bed time for going back in their pen. even if the hutch is large, they're still (often) narrow confinements of space. the best thing is to get a puppy pen, and give them a largeish undisturbed space for bed time. a hutch isn't big and is often disturbed with ladders, narrow corners etc.

if they seem particularly stressed, you could always get some pet remedy which I've found to be a miracle worker for me :lol:

Things like this bother me when I can’t pinpoint the cause, and our pets seem to have a lot of those things never figured out.
Nothing has changed apart from Truffle going through a lot of different meds, vet visits and tests the last month and a half, but he’s been so good about it all (mostly) it seems odd he’d just snap one afternoon. Truffle has been trying to hump more the last day or so, maybe because Truffle was unwell he was making up for spring fever but gone too far.

It’s weird though because they have a routine of going to bed with pellets and being fine for about 9 months now, so I’m surprised it suddenly bothered him when it was the afternoon when they are free roaming. But I definitely agree with you that I made a mistake putting them away after their first spat.
MM has also brought up the same point about being shut away might not be a good thing so I think it’s something we definitely need to look into because it does make sense. We will have to rearrange so the cats sleep in the living room not the kitchen, then bunnies can just stay out and go in the hutch if they choose.

Yes! I love that stuff! My diffuser ran out two months ago and I forgot to reorder so I did so today (unfortunately it won’t arrive till the 28th), but I have a mini spray so I spritzed their new room.
Thank you x

Oh no I’m really sorry this has happened [emoji17] I know it’s a long time to wait until you can get them to the binder but some time apart from each other might not be a bad thing as they’ll have plenty of time to cool off.

In the meantime, please don’t give up hope that they’ll get back together again. My pair suddenly started fighting one morning. They couldn’t even look at each other without kicking off. After a few days apart I rebonded them. It was tough going at first but they were successfully rebonded and have been fine together since (bar one hiccup after a vet visit last year!) Also bear in mind that the boys have been doing well together for the last few months so the underlying bond should still be there.

Lots of hugs for you as well. It’s so worrying and upsetting when they suddenly start fighting like that. Especially after all that work you put in with them earlier xxx

Thank you :-( it’s so sad because they really did love each other against all the odds. I’m hoping you’re right and they just need some time. Not sure if I should try them again in a few days (I’m not very brave or skilled) or just hold on and let the bonder do the hard work so I don’t jeopardise anything.

Thank you. It’s so hard not to keep getting upset about it after seeing them for the last 9 months loving each other. Thank you I really appreciate your positivity and I’m hoping too that they kiss and make up, as you say especially as they had a great run of it before now. I’m so glad your two patched things up it gives me hope.

Thank you I really appreciate that. Yeah it’s the hard 8 months of bonding work that’s making me feel a bit ill starting that all again. Hopefully because they bonded once it won’t take so long before the love is there.
Thank you for your support xxx

Well here we are again. A very depressing déjà vu for me and the boys. Now living opposite each other, but in a different room to last time.

The first contact was Truffle nipping through the bars. Then anything after has all been Luther so it’s swapped but I think that’s because Luther thinks he’s hard when there’s a fence to protect him!
Hopefully they settle down soon and mostly it’s now because of a bad night being left in carriers and this mornings fight, then back in the carriers until I cleared and made up the room for them.

Luther doesn’t want to eat so hopefully he will fancy his dinner in a bit. Just can’t believe we are back here.
Thank you all for your support, I’d be a mess without you guys!!

36ec61ef741cb104f8da2bdfdd052186.jpg

ee9bcdad8b8a50fbe98c6c1aeb6b725a.jpg

e914c346e7ac53cc1e3a4fc33518763a.jpg

My Millie and Toby fell out for three months! But they ended up happily back in love. It might take some time but don't give up! It was only by accident when I was cleaning them out that Toby hopped over to Millie for a snuggle and they just stayed that way. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My Millie and Toby fell out for three months! But they ended up happily back in love. It might take some time but don't give up! It was only by accident when I was cleaning them out that Toby hopped over to Millie for a snuggle and they just stayed that way. Xx

Did you find out why they fell out?
It’s so weird they can suddenly change but then decide they love each other again. I know people fall out sometimes but not pull chunks out each other.

Thank you I hope that’s the same for us and the bonding works because we are rubbish at trying it ourselves at home. Xx

Hi sorry to read your post that your bunnies have fallen out, I cant say why but do have the same problem mine were bonded for a year and a half and both spayed and neutered then all of a sudden the girl wont let the boy in the cage so I've had to separate them, I was bringing them together during the day in the run until today when there was one great big fight fur flying everywhere and I had to break them up. I don't know what to do either I never expected to have to keep them alone.

Good luck and I hope you can re bond them and if you do it please let me know what you have done so I can try

Hi sorry to read your post that your bunnies have fallen out, I cant say why but do have the same problem mine were bonded for a year and a half and both spayed and neutered then all of a sudden the girl wont let the boy in the cage so I've had to separate them, I was bringing them together during the day in the run until today when there was one great big fight fur flying everywhere and I had to break them up. I don't know what to do either I never expected to have to keep them alone.

Good luck and I hope you can re bond them and if you do it please let me know what you have done so I can try

Oh no I’m so sorry you are having trouble too!

Well I can say your definitely in the right place there are awesome people here that can give you advice. I personally have 0 bonding experience or success, our home bond was a disaster, so I can’t help there. But, what I can tell you is that if you feel they are right for each other but they just don’t know it yet, don’t give up faith, and if your home try’s don’t work out you can always have one more try with what we did and go to a professional bonder. Ours is at a bunny rescue an hour away from us, but it was totally worth it. Just make sure you really look into them first as my first experience with a “bonder” was terrible and my poor Truffle came home shell shocked and she said he should never be with any bunny!!

Keep the faith and definitely keep asking questions to this forum because everyone is so lovely and helpful x

Did you find out why they fell out?
It’s so weird they can suddenly change but then decide they love each other again. I know people fall out sometimes but not pull chunks out each other.

Thank you I hope that’s the same for us and the bonding works because we are rubbish at trying it ourselves at home. Xx

I don't know, Toby just turnt on her out of the blue!

Are they enclosed in a cage overnight, or when they need to be?
Sometimes the fur flies when they are confined and the space becomes too much for them.

Perhaps my bonding successes are because I believe in mucho space at all times! :lol:
Not possible for everyone though, i know ...

I don't know, Toby just turnt on her out of the blue!

How bizarre! I swear I don’t think I’ll ever understand bunnies, just when I think I know what they think!

I never found out why my bunnies fell out the first time. I had them both health checked by the vet and both were in fine fettle. They also have free range of the flat so have always had plenty of space. It’s really frustrating when you don’t know what set them off because if you don’t know what the trigger was, how can you avoid it in the future?

I never found out why my bunnies fell out the first time. I had them both health checked by the vet and both were in fine fettle. They also have free range of the flat so have always had plenty of space. It’s really frustrating when you don’t know what set them off because if you don’t know what the trigger was, how can you avoid it in the future?

Oh no. Yes your exactly right and this is something that drives me mad, obviously we don’t want to do “it” again whatever that may be. Unfortunately most of our animals seem to have had things happen and we don’t know why so can’t prevent things happening again.
I just pray we can go back again and hopefully it doesn’t trigger again

Last night they had a good night, I didn’t hear much besides a few foot thumps and one divide bash.

Truffle was very accommodating with me doing his eye drops this morning and got a treat.
But then a few mins later I tried to open a packet of dry banana chips and for some reason the crinkling made Truffle snap and ran out from a big mirror I’ve had to leave in that room, and nip my knee :-/ so apparently I’m super offensive at the moment. He’s fine with my OH though.....typical.

Last night they had a good night, I didn’t hear much besides a few foot thumps and one divide bash.

Truffle was very accommodating with me doing his eye drops this morning and got a treat.
But then a few mins later I tried to open a packet of dry banana chips and for some reason the crinkling made Truffle snap and ran out from a big mirror I’ve had to leave in that room, and nip my knee :-/ so apparently I’m super offensive at the moment. He’s fine with my OH though.....typical.

I'm glad they had a good night, and I hope the nip wasn't as bad as the scratch you got the other night x

I'm glad they had a good night, and I hope the nip wasn't as bad as the scratch you got the other night x

No thankfully! It was just a red bit where he did it.
He’s still being really good with me medicating his eye, and in the open so he must be ok with me now. Maybe it was all a bit much and maybe he remembered being like this once before but for months on end and it upset him.....who knows lol.

Seem to be ok most of the time just the odd fur pull through the bars but not often. Fingers and toes crossed it’s all good.

Thank you x

He’s still being really good with me medicating his eye, and in the open so he must be ok with me now. Maybe it was all a bit much and maybe he remembered being like this once before but for months on end and it upset him.....who knows lol.

Seem to be ok most of the time just the odd fur pull through the bars but not often. Fingers and toes crossed it’s all good.

Thank you x

Thank you x

Are you still intending to take them back to the bonder? Not too long now, if so.

I feel your despondency. Anyway, good vibes coming your way, and I'm still thinking of you and rooting for the two of them :)

Back