• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cold ears ?

Mubby

Banned
i know this sounds mayb a wee bit strange! lol

but its just something ive noticed!

when I pick mubby out of his cage sometimes and give him cuddles i notice his ears are really cold :?

his body feels toasty , but his big lugs are cold...

should i be worried :?

Rabbits are designed to lose heat through their ears, if his ears are cold he is probably the right body temperature or a bit too cold as his body isn't allowing the blood to flow through the surface capillaries (sp?) in his ears where it would naturally lose heat through conduction with the cooler air. If his ears feel warm the blood is close to the surface and he is trying to cool down.

I think that is right - I haven't done mammal biology since A-levels (it wasn't covered by my degree).

Caz

Yeah my bunnies are cold too (specially with this cold weather!) but rest of her is nice and warm. I guess it's them conserving heat and not wasting it on parts of the body that don't need heating up all the time?

Nicola

Lol I bet Mubby would look cool in ear muffs! Pippa could do with some too! She has a snuggly hot water bottle tho, she might get a bit hot with ear muffs too!tee hee

muffs.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to have a pair (when I was little I hasten to add) with rabbits' heads on - my dad used to joke one side should have been a rabbits bum as I had rabbits on the brain (or should that be in the brain?)!

V.v. cute on Mubby though!!

Caz

Back