• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cheao/Homemade/Poundland Toys

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
I recently and unexpectedly acquired a very neglected little bunny rabbit (post on the welcome section)

Im looking for ideas for cheap/homemade toys or things that i can get her from places like poundland. Pet shop stuff is all good and well but half of the stuff doesnt look big enough for a rabbit to actually use and the rest just seems to be designed more to look good for humans rather than have any real entertainment value for the animal.

At the moment shes got a wooden platform, a cardboard box, a tunnel, a hanging basket with hay in, a smaller tunnel with hay in, a litter tray, a sandpit and a soil digging box, a little rope thing with 2 piece of wood on the end that i got from p@h (that she hasnt touched) and a willow ball (which she also hasnt touched)

cardboard boxes & loo rolls are good. you can stuff them full of hay and hide tasty forage in them. you can also make a warren of cardboard boxes!

digging boxes can be good.. get a deep plastic box and fill with untreated soil or childrens sand, you can once again hide little treats which make good fun. (shouldn't be left w/o supervision)

if a digging box is too messy, try a ball pit. same idea, large plastic box and fill with childrens balls meant for a ball pit. hide in tasty treats and they have something to keep them occupied! (shouldn't be left w/o supervision)

mine love baby toys, baby teething rings can be good to throw around. mine love stacking cups, and you can hide food in those too which give them a fun idea. but in general they like to throw them about food or not. I also have a baby toy.. it has rings stacked around it. I guess its intended as a wobble toy. mine love to throw the parts off and make my room a mess! just make sure they don't chew the plastic.

rabbits love to make noise too, so anything that rattles goes down a treat. I have a ball with a bell in it, Orion loves to throw it around.

speaking of treats, treat balls can be good. they're cheap, and they keep for ages. fill with pellet or whatever you want, and they'll usually nudge it around for hours. it can take them a while to figure out what is happening though.

idk if you have one near you, but ask in shoe shops for plain cardboard shoe boxes if they have any. usually they'll give you them for free. you can fill with shredded paper (no ink) and hide treats in, it makes a good chew toy also.

in P@H, mine love the gnawing sweet corn chew. I don't know the name but its big ish and hangs on the side of the cage, in the style of a sweet corn. they love that. they also do a pepper one, but the pieces are smaller and therefore go quicker. a lot of what is in P@H is overpriced, you can find cheaper alternatives usually in wilkos & on pet planet and zooplus. they're my go to for rabbits toys, P@H is usually my food go too.

cardboard boxes & loo rolls are good. you can stuff them full of hay and hide tasty forage in them. you can also make a warren of cardboard boxes!

digging boxes can be good.. get a deep plastic box and fill with untreated soil or childrens sand, you can once again hide little treats which make good fun. (shouldn't be left w/o supervision)

if a digging box is too messy, try a ball pit. same idea, large plastic box and fill with childrens balls meant for a ball pit. hide in tasty treats and they have something to keep them occupied! (shouldn't be left w/o supervision)

mine love baby toys, baby teething rings can be good to throw around. mine love stacking cups, and you can hide food in those too which give them a fun idea. but in general they like to throw them about food or not. I also have a baby toy.. it has rings stacked around it. I guess its intended as a wobble toy. mine love to throw the parts off and make my room a mess! just make sure they don't chew the plastic.

rabbits love to make noise too, so anything that rattles goes down a treat. I have a ball with a bell in it, Orion loves to throw it around.

speaking of treats, treat balls can be good. they're cheap, and they keep for ages. fill with pellet or whatever you want, and they'll usually nudge it around for hours. it can take them a while to figure out what is happening though.

idk if you have one near you, but ask in shoe shops for plain cardboard shoe boxes if they have any. usually they'll give you them for free. you can fill with shredded paper (no ink) and hide treats in, it makes a good chew toy also.

in P@H, mine love the gnawing sweet corn chew. I don't know the name but its big ish and hangs on the side of the cage, in the style of a sweet corn. they love that. they also do a pepper one, but the pieces are smaller and therefore go quicker. a lot of what is in P@H is overpriced, you can find cheaper alternatives usually in wilkos & on pet planet and zooplus. they're my go to for rabbits toys, P@H is usually my food go too.

I agree with what Binkycodie has put :thumb: the gnawing wet corn chew BC is referring to is probably a wooden toy shaped like a sweet corn, the dried real sweet corn that P@H and other pet shops sell is not suitable for feeding to rabbits as it can cause impaction.

You might find some baby toys in charity shops :thumb:

My bunny loves his treat ball :thumb:

:oops: I should have specified, sorry. its not actual sweetcorn, its just a chew in the shape of it. actual sweetcorn should never be fed to a bunny. I forgot they still sold & advertised it for rabbits :?

its not wood.. its alfafa, starch and..sawdust? I have no idea, never really looked at what it is. I've just described it like a crumply brick :oops::lol:

my rabbits have never cared for any wooden toys other than willow.

this is it :) http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/corn-gnawing-chew
you also have some others, but they haven't lasted as long imho. there are hidey huts for hamsters and bridges, but as they're thinner and not a thick piece of material, mine have demolished them within a day. the sweetcorn sits there for a while :thumb:

Last edited:
:oops: I should have specified, sorry. its not actual sweetcorn, its just a chew in the shape of it. actual sweetcorn should never be fed to a bunny. I forgot they still sold & advertised it for rabbits :?

its not wood.. its alfafa, starch and..sawdust? I have no idea, never really looked at what it is. I've just described it like a crumply brick :oops::lol:

my rabbits have never cared for any wooden toys other than willow.

this is it :) http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/corn-gnawing-chew
you also have some others, but they haven't lasted as long imho. there are hidey huts for hamsters and bridges, but as they're thinner and not a thick piece of material, mine have demolished them within a day. the sweetcorn sits there for a while :thumb:

I knew that was what you meant :thumb:

Tunnels are my buns' favourite, although they are both partial to willow balls. You could try the 'trio' of balls (available in P@H and Wilko, me and mine prefer the Wilko ones), as it's not just willow in that one. My go CRAZY for the sea hyacinth one, I think it is, and it lasts a couple of hours. Feeding buns in interesting ways is really good too, hanging stuff for them to reach or hiding it (in aforementioned toilet roll tubes, for example :)).

Back