• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! Melanoma and chronic dental abscess.

It is good to investigate all your options. Sending you and she more positive vibes.

Thank you for the good vibes! She's been for a biopsy this evening so hoping to have the results of that soon. The Royal **** vet school in Edinburgh have been consulted and they are happy to see her, they think removing her ear would be the best option, I'm going to look into rabbits who've been through it.

Thank you for the good vibes! She's been for a biopsy this evening so hoping to have the results of that soon. The Royal **** vet school in Edinburgh have been consulted and they are happy to see her, they think removing her ear would be the best option, I'm going to look into rabbits who've been through it.

Hugs for you.
You're doing the very best you can xx

Kiki's biopsy came back as confirmed malignant melanoma, it's been a bit of a shock even though we were fairly sure that's what it was! She had her CT yesterday at the Royal D1ck, they were able to do it conscious which is great! We haven't got the results yet, but should have them soon! The exotics department will liaise with oncology after that to see what treatment may be an option!

Kiki's biopsy came back as confirmed malignant melanoma, it's been a bit of a shock even though we were fairly sure that's what it was! She had her CT yesterday at the Royal D1ck, they were able to do it conscious which is great! We haven't got the results yet, but should have them soon! The exotics department will liaise with oncology after that to see what treatment may be an option!

I am sorry that your fears were confirmed. I hope that there will be some suitable treatment options for Kiki to enable her to remain comfortable for as long as possible x

I am sorry that your fears were confirmed. I hope that there will be some suitable treatment options for Kiki to enable her to remain comfortable for as long as possible x

Thank you! The vet seemed confident that they would be able to come up with a plan to suit whatever the outcome from the CT! I know myself at this stage a complete cure is unlikely, she has developed a lump near her ear base that is possibly lymph node involvement! I'll keep you all updated, everyone has been so kind and helpful, we really appreciate it! xx

I'm sorry it turned out to be as you thought. That's difficult to deal with even though you were fairly sure :(

I hope Kiki can remain as comfortable as possible. At least she is blissfully unaware of the diagnosis, which is one blessing. Unfortunately it leaves you in the position of worrying which I know is very difficult to deal with.

Sending hugs to you and vibes for Kiki x

Thank you! You're right, she remains completely oblivious to it, she has no symptoms and is still behaving like her usual cheeky self! It was a shock to have it confirmed, it's so rare I really hoped we were wrong, but deep down I knew that wouldn't be the case! Still, I remain hopeful we can come up with a course of treatment that will keep her as well as she can be for as long as possible! So grateful for all the help and support!

Here is a picture of her with her ear shaved, its like a reverse badger stripe! https://flic.kr/p/2bsL9vm

Thank you! You're right, she remains completely oblivious to it, she has no symptoms and is still behaving like her usual cheeky self! It was a shock to have it confirmed, it's so rare I really hoped we were wrong, but deep down I knew that wouldn't be the case! Still, I remain hopeful we can come up with a course of treatment that will keep her as well as she can be for as long as possible! So grateful for all the help and support!

Here is a picture of her with her ear shaved, its like a reverse badger stripe! https://flic.kr/p/2bsL9vm

You're welcome x

It's us that struggle to take things a day at a time and not jump ahead with our worries.

She's a little beauty :love:

We got the results of Kiki's CT back which showed no spread of the melanoma! We were really worried it would show it had spread as we noticed a lump under her ear the night before and it's in the location of the lymph node, although they think it is just reactive rather than a spread of the cancer! We are so relieved, I felt so guilty we hadn't acted sooner, even though she wasn't well enough at the time when it first appeared!

The Royal D1ck have recommended removing the whole ear and lymph node and probably doing a dental too as there were significant changes to her teeth! Our own vet is going to perform the surgery on Monday, hopefully she will have no bother with the anaesthetic, but I am worried about that!

Once she's come through her surgery I am going to have my vet liaise with the Royal D1ck again to see if the melanoma vaccine is an option to prevent it coming back or spreading! I don't like the idea of giving chemotherapy to a rabbit, so this is something I'd rather avoid as much as possible!

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts, it's so appreciated! x

Sending lots of positive vibes for the op on Monday. I hope it all goes to plan and that she recovers well.

We got the results of Kiki's CT back which showed no spread of the melanoma! We were really worried it would show it had spread as we noticed a lump under her ear the night before and it's in the location of the lymph node, although they think it is just reactive rather than a spread of the cancer! We are so relieved, I felt so guilty we hadn't acted sooner, even though she wasn't well enough at the time when it first appeared!

The Royal D1ck have recommended removing the whole ear and lymph node and probably doing a dental too as there were significant changes to her teeth! Our own vet is going to perform the surgery on Monday, hopefully she will have no bother with the anaesthetic, but I am worried about that!

Once she's come through her surgery I am going to have my vet liaise with the Royal D1ck again to see if the melanoma vaccine is an option to prevent it coming back or spreading! I don't like the idea of giving chemotherapy to a rabbit, so this is something I'd rather avoid as much as possible!

Wow that's great news that it hasn't spread :)

Loads of good vibes for the surgery on Monday x

I really hope that Kiki's Surgery will go well. Sending lots more vibes x

Hi all, Kiki's surgery went really well and she is fine! Our vet removed her ear, she removed a little more than planned as she found a second tiny black nodule that she suspected was a melanoma also! She diseceted down to the lymph node and removed that as well! Unfortunately she found this was black which we imagine will prove to be melanoma, but we're sending it off to histology to confirm! I've posted some photos of her post surgery yesterday, her ear looks better today, less inflamed and red already! I've also posted a couple of her CT images of her teeth, you can see how bad they are, she also had a dental whilst she was out! Interestingly the CT showed that she had another abscess on the opposite side that we weren't aware of, it was smaller and the betamox injections must have kept it from causing bother! She has also lost her two back lower molars at some point, loose because of the abscess, but we never noticed this so who knows where they went!

https://flickr.com/photos/23347798@N07/sets/72157700674475194

Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts for Kiki, it's very much appreciated!

Very good news that Kiki's surgery went well. I'm sorry that the lymph node showed signs of possible spread of the Melanoma, but hopefully the histology will prove otherwise. I know from personal experience that this can happen.

I'm pleased that the wound is already looking better and I hope that her recovery progresses well. Sending the brave girlie lots of vibes.

Back