• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please female rabbit aggression

Hi,

some advice needed please, I have recently got two 8 week Netherland dwarfs (not living near the existing rabbits) and have older spayed and neutered female/male rabbits living together quite happily.

I had been to see the babies last night and then came in and sat on the sofa next to the older rabbits and opened the cage door thinking nothing of it, my female jumped out smelling me and then rapidly turned back into the cage to attack her friend the boy, I grabbed him as quick as possible but there was no stopping her trying to get him. so they have spent the night separately and are back together this morning, I'm keeping a close eye on them.

I contacted my breeder about this and she said she has never heard of that behaviour before even if they do smell other bunnies.

At night we do hear a lot of noise coming from the rabbits cage but I assumed they were just playing as there has never been any injury, maybe I have been wrong.

please let me know your thoughts as I would hate for my female to turn on the male when I am not present to split them up.

thanks in advance

This is called Referred Aggression when the rabbit can't attack another rabbit which is nearby so attacks her cage mate. You will have to find a way around this, I would monitor them now and if it keeps happening I am not sure what you can do. Rabbits live by smell and if you have had the older rabbits for some time, she isn't used to being able to smell other rabbits.

Thank you, I was thinking of rehoming the younger ones or maybe trying to bond them with the older male and leaving the female rabbit on her own which is a shame, but on the other hand I cant really trust her now not to hurt her friend. I don't think it will improve and don't really want to rehome the babies but never thought there would be a problem. I am trying to wash my arms and change my top now (separate tops for separate rabbits) but cant really go on like that.

Have the older ones been together long? She may of course get used to knowing there are other rabbits closeby.

This is called Referred Aggression when the rabbit can't attack another rabbit which is nearby so attacks her cage mate.

Yes, I concur with that. I recently adopted a third rabbit that I'm trying to bond with a well-established, bonded pair and his presence sometimes irritates one or the other of the bonded pair so they have a minor disagreement. Fortunately it's not bad in my case - just angry grunts and chasing - but clearly it's some kind of displaced aggression. It seems to be getting better though and I hope eventually they will get used to the newcomer.

I have 2 sets of trios and sometimes one set ‘spot’ the others and turn on each other. However, this has never caused a long term problem. They settle quite quickly and now I just make sure they can’t see each other and it seems to be ok. Hopefully things will settle down for your pair.

Hi thanks for your replies, I have again had to separate the pair the problem started when I put them back in the cage after being out in the run today, its as if the female has gone mad, she was making a growling noise at him. They are about a year and a half old and been together all this time but I am now wondering maybe she has been bullying him as he is a little nervous. The new rabbits are not indoors with them.

I find it strange as I looked after an un neutered male for 3 weeks for a friend and there was no problem, yet it seems with the babies there is :?

thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Back