• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka has been in a fight, lost part of her eyelid

Definitely a change of vet practice needed - how awful for you all :(

Many years ago a vet began to scruff my rabbit out of his carrier.

I said in my stern voice "No-one scruffs my rabbit" and he put him down immediately and backed off.
(Literally - I can be scary [emoji38])

It's your call, you are paying him and he ought to treat your rabbits with respect.

Can't believe the cannula was left in either :roll:
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I can imagine that! You sound like me... All nice until someone steps over that line [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Haha I wish I'd had that courage today. Sometimes I can find it for my rabbits sake, sometimes I can't. You don't want to come down and deal with then for me do you MM? :p
I'll give Maes Glas a go next. I would have considered keeping them at CC for vaccinations as they're only £30 (previous CC charged £42.50) but the scruffing alone hsad lost them my business. They could have had 16 vaccinations a year out of us so they've lost themselves a long-term customer.
I won't have my rabbits treated that way. I'd rather pay more elsewhere.

On a lighter note Mishka had some of her dinner tonight (not all but some) and had a piece of banana off of me about 20 mins ago so she's not doing too badly.
Her poor little eye, though :cry:

Last edited:
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I can imagine that! You sound like me... All nice until someone steps over that line [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

:lol: Exactly so! You have to let people know where they stand ;)
(and that was me 20 years ago, so you can imagine how fierce I am now!)

Haha I wish I'd had that courage today. Sometimes I can find it for my rabbits sake, sometimes I can't. You don't want to come down and deal with then for me do you MM? :p
I'll give Maes Glas a go next. I would have considered keeping them at CC for vaccinations as they're only £30 (previous CC charged £42.50) but the scruffing alone hsad lost them my business. They could have had 16 vaccinations a year out of us so they've lost themselves a long-term customer.
I won't have my rabbits treated that way. I'd rather pay more elsewhere.

On a lighter note Mishka had some of her dinner tonight (not all but some) and had a piece of banana off of me about 20 mins ago so she's not doing too badly.
Her poor little eye, though :cry:

Yes I would gladly deal with any vet who did that :)
Perhaps they don't know it's not a good idea?
The vet I said it to literally backed off with his hands up as though I was gonna shoot him. Well I was almost :lol:

I am glad to hear she had some food. Vibes for that poorly little eye xxx

Glad she's doing well and hope you find a vet you are happy with before you have another crisis. I've had a recent experience similar (having to deal with a vet you have NO faith in) and it was horrendous.

I've also had experience with a vet who scruffs rabbits. She scruffed my soulmate Artie and wasn't supporting his back legs. She had him dangling while talking to me - completely unnecessarily and he was even a rabbit that was sweet and gentle and easy to handle. I was fuming and she knew about it. When she did put Artie in a carrier he banged his foot so hard that it bled. I've never forgiven her for it and she's still as useless now, although I have never seen her scruff a rabbit again. I actually had nightmares of that incident for a few weeks so I know how upsetting it is to witness.

Goodness bunny buddy, that sounds horrible :(

I have to take her back on Thursday for a post op check (seems a long time to me, I know for a fact my old vet would have had her back in today) so I've got to come up with a polite way to say "don't you dare pick her up by the scruff again". After that I'm finished with this surgery, I don't ever want to have to see it again. I so hope one of the other two are decent :/

I think there are some a bit further out but they're all the same sort of thing really. A lot of "beef/dairy vets" etc. Maybe I'm wrong but somehow a vet that can look after farm animals knowing they're going to be killed and are treated as expendable just don't seem likely to care about companion animals so much.. least of all rabbits who still aren't viewed as being as 'important' as a cat or dog. They're just animals to them. I know if I'd become a vet (something I'd always wanted as a kid; still kind of do) I wouldn't have been able to deal with farm animals knowing they'd just be killed and treated as nothing more than produce.

Back