• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor buns housing

xkellyx

New Kit
Hi. I've been on the forum a while as I wanted to get a rabbit or two ages ago. I lost my lab x collie dog in November last year, she was 15 years and 10 months so I was abosutely devastated, still am. But anyway, I decided to wait before getting a bun, but I've now decided now is the time and I'm super excited so I need advise or help with outdoor housing please 😁

I would love to keep buns inside but we don't really have the room and we're in rented property so don't want to risk skirting boards being chewed etc so they will be living outside.

I am looking at the 6ft chartwell hutch, double tier so they have plenty of room whilst I'm at work. I will provide them with Enrichment too, I work full time so this is the reason I've gone for two buns, so they have company whilst I'm not there, they are sisters and I will get them both spayed as soon as my vet allows. My main question is... I need a run that I can fold away but gives a good sized run. Our garden is quite big but we have the occasional cat come into the garden and my partner works from home so unfortunately is always in and out of the garden gate as that leads to the driveway. I don't want to risk them having free range of the garden for the reasons of escaping, cats and also the plants that are already planted. I was thinking of getting a metal run and making a cover for the top and having the run come straight from their hutch so they can have access to the run and hutch at the same time. Does anybody know or have any ideas on a run that would work? Sorry it's a long post!

I forgot to say in the winter when it's really cold I will be moving the buns hutch into the shed but I obviously don't want to keep moving them as I know they don't do well with sudden temperature changes

Hi, and welcome to the forum:wave: You will need a sturdy run (wood and strong weldmesh) with a roof, and a solid floor or weldmesh under the turf to stop them digging out or predators digging in. The run should be at least 8ftx6ft permanently attached to the hutch or shed, as they need a lot of space available to them at all times. See the rwaf https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/
Metal runs are often not sturdy and there have been lots of cases of rabbits getting their heads trapped in them with tragic consequences:cry: see this thread (distressing images in link) http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Safety-warning-about-an-enclosure-please-read

There’s lots of examples of good outdoor set ups here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples

You can buy or make some aviary panels (usually 6'x3') - a wooden frame with weldmesh. They can be used on their long edge to make a standard type rabbit run, or upright as an aviary (ie walk in) type run. If they are screwed together or hinged, they can be moved / packed away, although rabbits do need a lot of permanent space to run around in. Can they have the shed as their indoor space (instead of a hutch) and attach a run to it? It will be more secure and easier to manage in Winter. You will also be able to spend more time with them comfortably eg put a deckchair in the shed and sit with them. You can use a 'standard' eg 4' hutch with the main door open / removed as a nest box for them and to jump on top of - but it won't be suitable for them to be shut in it.

Don't forget the vaccinations - 2 separate ones - myxo & RHD1, and RHD1&2, given 2 weeks apart, generally with annual boosters.

Thank you both. Unfortunately the shed is used for storage and it doesn't help we have no storage in the house. When it comes to winter I'm going to sort the shed so that there's room for the hutch but there won't be enough room for them to free range in there. My plan was to put the hutch 6ft chartwell on the grass near the shed and then make a big run or buy a big run to go on the patio so that they can't dig out. I will get a smaller one tier hutch to go in the run so they have a shelter/bed for the day but they will have to be in their hutch at night, I wouldn't want to risk them being out through the night as we have quite a few roaming cats and I'm sure they're in our garden at night.

Back