• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Less frequent clean outs?

Annie_90

Young Bun
If the bunnies aren't soiling their bedroom area at all (lined with newspaper and straw) is it okay to do a full clean out fortnightly instead of once a week? The hutch is outside.

The last couple of weeks I've been doing my weekly clean (everything removed and replaced, hutch disinfected) and felt it was a bit wasteful and potentially unnecessary upheaval for my two. Also, I haven't yet got lino on the wood floors which makes me worry about the disinfectant and damp. All pee is done in the litter box. Most poo is litter box as well, but I do a daily sweep out of hutch and run to get rid of any on the floors - mostly stuff that's got knocked out of the litter box.

If the bunnies aren't using the hutch floor as a toilet I would just keep an eye on it and replace the newspaper and maybe brush out any dust etc as and when you think fit. The litter tray must be done every day though. Which disinfectant do you use and do you feel it is vital?

Thanks, Tonibun :)

I use the Clean n Safe stuff from P@H at the moment. I thought it was vital in the hutch from what I'd read, and when I first brought them home there was quite a lot of diarrhea and caecotrophs left about so I cleaned a lot more (there were flies in the run so I cleaned the hutch too just to make sure). Now they're eating a better diet that's not much of an issue.

It's good that you have managed to get your rabbits litter trained early, it saves a lot of mess in the hutch. I have always washed my hutches out now and then with just washing-up liquid to freshen them up. All my rabbits are really good hay eaters and with a small portion of pellets and a little veg or herbs, they keep very healthy.

Back