• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rosie Rabbit 8 weeks old

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I am very heart broken to say baby Rosie passed away this morning after more than 4 weeks battling myxomatosis.

She came to me at around 4 weeks old with already full blown myxomatosis. Her eyes were sealed closed under two enormous scabs, she had several nodules on her face, her genitals were massively swollen and covered in necrotic skin, her feet were swollen and split open.

Despite how she looked on the outside she had tons of energy, she was playful and curious and still full of life. I knew she had a lot of fight left in her so I began treatment.

Every day she'd sit for wound cleaning and medicine, often 30 - 40 minutes at a time. At least twice a day. She didn't make much of a fuss, she just accepted it had to happen and she'd go running off around the room like a loony afterwards.

She loved shredding paper, throwing toilet roll tubes around when she couldn't get her own way. She loved to jump! She jumped on my bed to sit with me, she tried to jump into my bath several times. Most of all she loved her heatpad and dandelions (and occasionally beating up 'piggy' her favourite teddy)

She had shown vast improvement in the last few days, her eyes had returned to normal, her fur was regrowing where nodules fell off. She was gaining lots of weight and was full of energy. The only concern we had was her swollen feet which hadn't shown much improvement but we'd only been using hibiscub for a few days to see if that would help.

This morning I woke up and had a feeling of dread, something felt really wrong. Rosie was laying against the door of her pen - which she's never done before. I got her out, looked her over and everything was looking good, she was alert and looking out at the sun rising outside the window. I put her back in the pen and she sat down and started eating some dandelions.. But something still felt really wrong.

She suddenly stopped eating, looked around and seemed disorientated. Then as if panicked by something she started to stumble across the pen, face first into the side of the pet carrier. I picked her up and she was going floppy, I grabbed a blanket, wrapped her up but she was already kicking her legs out and gasping and I knew it was the end. She died wrapped up, being stroked and talked to calmly.

She had almost beaten it, she fought for over 4 weeks and was getting stronger by the day. She actually started to look like a normal rabbit again. She was full of life, full of character but in the end it just wasn't enough. Chances were against her from the start but she was so close to being free from it.

Rosie you were the bravest and strongest rabbit I've ever known, you didn't let anything get in the way of enjoying your life and I am blessed to have spent the last 4 weeks with you. I will never forget how courageous you were or your love for life. You crammed so much into those last few weeks and I believe you were truly happy despite the illness. I'm so sorry it was a such a brief life with so much suffering. We will always love you, thank you for coming into our lives.

I am very heart broken to say baby Rosie passed away this morning after more than 4 weeks battling myxomatosis.

She came to me at around 4 weeks old with already full blown myxomatosis. Her eyes were sealed closed under two enormous scabs, she had several nodules on her face, her genitals were massively swollen and covered in necrotic skin, her feet were swollen and split open.

Despite how she looked on the outside she had tons of energy, she was playful and curious and still full of life. I knew she had a lot of fight left in her so I began treatment.

Every day she'd sit for wound cleaning and medicine, often 30 - 40 minutes at a time. At least twice a day. She didn't make much of a fuss, she just accepted it had to happen and she'd go running off around the room like a loony afterwards.

She loved shredding paper, throwing toilet roll tubes around when she couldn't get her own way. She loved to jump! She jumped on my bed to sit with me, she tried to jump into my bath several times. Most of all she loved her heatpad and dandelions (and occasionally beating up 'piggy' her favourite teddy)

She had shown vast improvement in the last few days, her eyes had returned to normal, her fur was regrowing where nodules fell off. She was gaining lots of weight and was full of energy. The only concern we had was her swollen feet which hadn't shown much improvement but we'd only been using hibiscub for a few days to see if that would help.

This morning I woke up and had a feeling of dread, something felt really wrong. Rosie was laying against the door of her pen - which she's never done before. I got her out, looked her over and everything was looking good, she was alert and looking out at the sun rising outside the window. I put her back in the pen and she sat down and started eating some dandelions.. But something still felt really wrong.

She suddenly stopped eating, looked around and seemed disorientated. Then as if panicked by something she started to stumble across the pen, face first into the side of the pet carrier. I picked her up and she was going floppy, I grabbed a blanket, wrapped her up but she was already kicking her legs out and gasping and I knew it was the end. She died wrapped up, being stroked and talked to calmly.

She had almost beaten it, she fought for over 4 weeks and was getting stronger by the day. She actually started to look like a normal rabbit again. She was full of life, full of character but in the end it just wasn't enough. Chances were against her from the start but she was so close to being free from it.

Rosie you were the bravest and strongest rabbit I've ever known, you didn't let anything get in the way of enjoying your life and I am blessed to have spent the last 4 weeks with you. I will never forget how courageous you were or your love for life. You crammed so much into those last few weeks and I believe you were truly happy despite the illness. I'm so sorry it was a such a brief life with so much suffering. We will always love you, thank you for coming into our lives.

I am so very sorry to read this :(

I’m so very very sorry. She obviously had a happy, albeit tragically short life with you. I hope your heart heals quickly xxx

I'm so very sorry, you both fought so hard and no-one could have done more for little Rosie. Thinking of you.

I am so so very sorry that you lost Rosie. I followed her thread with such hope and you did everything you possibly could and gave her the most wonderful love filled life. She was clearly a fighter and she thrived from the care and love you showed her. This is so heartbreaking. Binkey free you beautiful sweet little rabbit, Rosie. xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts at this very sad time. I'm glad she had such a kind and caring person fighting her corner. No doubt that even in such a brief time, she knew she was dearly loved. ((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))

Sweet dreams, Rosie :cry: xxxx

It's devastating because she came so far, she was so close to being healthy again. If she'd passed at the start it wouldn't have been so upsetting. I really started to believe she had a future. It's such a waste of life.

Back