• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unusual moult?

Orenoko

Mama Doe
So I've had Lilac and Teddy since December last year. Lilac has had one full moult but Teddy hasn't. I noticed a while ago he was a bit dandruffy and was worried he might have mites. I had him checked out by a vet who said he had no sign of mites. He's not itchy or bothered in any way and his coat is shiny and soft. Lilac's coat is also in very good condition, no sign of dandruff or anything like that.

About a week ago I noticed he was moulting but in an unusual pattern. He has no tide lines and the moult is quite patchy, just a few strands coming out here and there when I stroke him.

I was stroking him this morning and noticed a huge patch of loose fur, I teased it out and saw underneath some very short stubby black fur (see picture).

Should I be concerned about this type of moult? Is it something more? I've seen some stuff online that suggests it could be a blown coat but as I've never seen a rabbit moult like this I'm a bit worried! Also worried that if he carries on moulting in this way he'll have no fur to keep him warm!
b547ac53b2f1f551901fa513fcdb0b6b.jpg

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

So I've had Lilac and Teddy since December last year. Lilac has had one full moult but Teddy hasn't. I noticed a while ago he was a bit dandruffy and was worried he might have mites. I had him checked out by a vet who said he had no sign of mites. He's not itchy or bothered in any way and his coat is shiny and soft. Lilac's coat is also in very good condition, no sign of dandruff or anything like that.

About a week ago I noticed he was moulting but in an unusual pattern. He has no tide lines and the moult is quite patchy, just a few strands coming out here and there when I stroke him.

I was stroking him this morning and noticed a huge patch of loose fur, I teased it out and saw underneath some very short stubby black fur (see picture).

Should I be concerned about this type of moult? Is it something more? I've seen some stuff online that suggests it could be a blown coat but as I've never seen a rabbit moult like this I'm a bit worried! Also worried that if he carries on moulting in this way he'll have no fur to keep him warm!
b547ac53b2f1f551901fa513fcdb0b6b.jpg

Hi there :)

Moults come in all shapes and sizes, and it could well be a normal moult for him. Even if it hasn't been like this before, it could still be OK.

I am surprised that your vet didn't treat for mites, as his fur does indeed look dandruffy! It's not always possible to see mites, but if your vet is sure then go with that I suppose :)

I can't quite see, but has he got some new stubby fur growing within that patch?

Some of mine sometimes moult like that. One had a massive moult a couple of weeks ago - never seen anything like it with clouds of white fluff everywhere every day, despite almost daily grooming. As the fur is regrowing, I wouldn't worry - just groom more regularly to remove all the loose stuff that they might ingest otherwise as it could lead to digestion issues if there is a lot of it. Don't forget that partner buns are just as likely to ingest the loose fur as they mutually groom, so it is important for both bunnies.

Hi there :)

Moults come in all shapes and sizes, and it could well be a normal moult for him. Even if it hasn't been like this before, it could still be OK.

I am surprised that your vet didn't treat for mites, as his fur does indeed look dandruffy! It's not always possible to see mites, but if your vet is sure then go with that I suppose :)

I can't quite see, but has he got some new stubby fur growing within that patch?
I was wondering whether to get some Ivermectin to treat for mites just to be on the safe side? He does have very short, stubby dark hair growing in place of the moulted fur, hoping it grows in quickly!

Some of mine sometimes moult like that. One had a massive moult a couple of weeks ago - never seen anything like it with clouds of white fluff everywhere every day, despite almost daily grooming. As the fur is regrowing, I wouldn't worry - just groom more regularly to remove all the loose stuff that they might ingest otherwise as it could lead to digestion issues if there is a lot of it. Don't forget that partner buns are just as likely to ingest the loose fur as they mutually groom, so it is important for both bunnies.
Yes now that he seems to be in full moult I've been brushing him more regularly. He's not a huge fan [emoji23]

I was wondering whether to get some Ivermectin to treat for mites just to be on the safe side? He does have very short, stubby dark hair growing in place of the moulted fur, hoping it grows in quickly!

You can get it over the counter:

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

I tend to prefer the vet to diagnose etc... but it depends on how savvy your vet is?

I think the fur will grow back fine :)

Thanks, I'm going to order some for him and see if it helps. He sees two vets just to confuse matters, one for his head tilt as he gets free treatment there for anything related to that and then my local one for anything else. I asked the 'free' vet about the dandruff on a routine check up maybe 6 weeks ago. It's no worse or better than it was then. My local vet is pretty rabbit savvy so if there's no improvement after trying Ivermectin then I'll definitely bring him to the vet.

Thanks, I'm going to order some for him and see if it helps. He sees two vets just to confuse matters, one for his head tilt as he gets free treatment there for anything related to that and then my local one for anything else. I asked the 'free' vet about the dandruff on a routine check up maybe 6 weeks ago. It's no worse or better than it was then. My local vet is pretty rabbit savvy so if there's no improvement after trying Ivermectin then I'll definitely bring him to the vet.

Even though your other rabbit is showing no signs of it, the protocol is to give it to both of them.

It's a spot on dose, three doses, two weeks apart :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
(scroll down for treatment plan)

Even though your other rabbit is showing no signs of it, the protocol is to give it to both of them.

It's a spot on dose, three doses, two weeks apart :)

(scroll down for treatment plan)
Thanks, I was thinking of treating Lilac too as they spend 99% of their time together! Teddy does have some mobility issues in terms of grooming, he keeps himself clean but can't reach around to clean his back in the same way that a normal bunny can. I don't know if that has anything to do with his dandruff or if I'm just reaching [emoji23] either way they're getting the Ivermectin treatment whether they like it or not!

Thanks, I was thinking of treating Lilac too as they spend 99% of their time together! Teddy does have some mobility issues in terms of grooming, he keeps himself clean but can't reach around to clean his back in the same way that a normal bunny can. I don't know if that has anything to do with his dandruff or if I'm just reaching [emoji23] either way they're getting the Ivermectin treatment whether they like it or not!

Usually a rabbit exhibits fur mites when the immune system is a bit depleted. Otherwise the rabbit keeps them in check.

Poor Ted! Ivermectin should clear it all up though, if it is mites :)

So I gave a dose of Ivermectin to both a few days ago, and the dandruff seems to be getting better already. He's also moulting more, so either it's a coincidence and it's all coming out with his moult, or he really has had mites all along!

I feel terrible if it is mites as he's been like that for weeks, although I don't think it's bothered him, he's not itchy or anything like that.

I've read that I need to treat the environment if it is mites. This could be tricky as a. I don't know what to treat it with - can anyone recommend anything? And b. Their environment is a whole room so it could be tricky. He gets incredibly stressed if he's taken out of the room (really high heart rate, fast breathing, drooling), it's his safe place and he'll just try to get back there as soon as he can. I can remove most things or work around him to clean bits of furniture, but the room has carpet which will need treatment.

So I gave a dose of Ivermectin to both a few days ago, and the dandruff seems to be getting better already. He's also moulting more, so either it's a coincidence and it's all coming out with his moult, or he really has had mites all along!

I feel terrible if it is mites as he's been like that for weeks, although I don't think it's bothered him, he's not itchy or anything like that.

I've read that I need to treat the environment if it is mites. This could be tricky as a. I don't know what to treat it with - can anyone recommend anything? And b. Their environment is a whole room so it could be tricky. He gets incredibly stressed if he's taken out of the room (really high heart rate, fast breathing, drooling), it's his safe place and he'll just try to get back there as soon as he can. I can remove most things or work around him to clean bits of furniture, but the room has carpet which will need treatment.

So your instinct was right all along, and I certainly was surprised that the vet didn't suggest a treatment!

In the old days sprays etc were recommended when rabbits had mites. I'm sure they were pretty awful to use around rabbits. But these days I haven't come across any vets who talk about treating the environment at all so I am guessing that it's not necessary. Just a good (dry) clean of the place - sweeping, hoovering up etc.

This article suggests you should treat the environment:

Treatment of the environment is important (boric acid such as Fleabusters®; Vet-Kem Acclaim Plus® - Sanofi; Staykil® - Novartis; Indorex® - Virbac; acaricide spray). When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the spray or powder. Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products.

However, as I mentioned, most people will find this degree of cleaning impossible and the mites are usually eradicated without it. You can also gently comb out the dandruff fur and that will help get rid of them too :)

So your instinct was right all along, and I certainly was surprised that the vet didn't suggest a treatment!

In the old days sprays etc were recommended when rabbits had mites. I'm sure they were pretty awful to use around rabbits. But these days I haven't come across any vets who talk about treating the environment at all so I am guessing that it's not necessary. Just a good (dry) clean of the place - sweeping, hoovering up etc.

This article suggests you should treat the environment:

Treatment of the environment is important (boric acid such as Fleabusters[emoji768]; Vet-Kem Acclaim Plus[emoji768] - Sanofi; Staykil[emoji768] - Novartis; Indorex[emoji768] - Virbac; acaricide spray). When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the spray or powder. Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products.

However, as I mentioned, most people will find this degree of cleaning impossible and the mites are usually eradicated without it. You can also gently comb out the dandruff fur and that will help get rid of them too :)
Yes I was a bit surprised as my vet is generally pretty rabbit savvy! Hopefully the Ivermectin will do the job, I hoover their room regularly and wash the rug once a week so fingers crossed I'll get the little blighters! [emoji23]

Back