• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit running off with food

Hi,

As you know I have a pair of rabbits which have recently been bonded, in the last couple of days I have noticed that the male (younger than female and new to us) has started to quickly grab food and then run away with it and hide. The female then chases him and tries to get it off him, so now he's taken to running back in to the hutch to eat. I'm just hopping that this doesn't mean that the bonding as failed, as they seemed to get on straight away at the rescue where the male came from.

Thanks

It’s fairly common in pairs and groups for this to happen, if you scatter feed pellets that can help.

Hi,

As you know I have a pair of rabbits which have recently been bonded, in the last couple of days I have noticed that the male (younger than female and new to us) has started to quickly grab food and then run away with it and hide. The female then chases him and tries to get it off him, so now he's taken to running back in to the hutch to eat. I'm just hopping that this doesn't mean that the bonding as failed, as they seemed to get on straight away at the rescue where the male came from.

Thanks

Noooo your bond hasn't failed!

It's normal, but can be irritating and you want to avoid it if possible.

Can you possibly put the food in different areas for them to look for, or scatter it around? :)

When I go round with the veg or something similar I always put 2 pieces in for the pairs but more times than not they both go after the same piece and have a bit of a tug-of-war over it! Look I say here is another piece, but they want the same piece! With the pellets they are pretty good and share.

Thanks both,

They are fine with the pellets and will even sit near each other to eat the scattered pellets, but when it comes to the veg, that's a completely different matter, lol xx

Thanks both,

They are fine with the pellets and will even sit near each other to eat the scattered pellets, but when it comes to the veg, that's a completely different matter, lol xx

I have several bowls for food, especially the veg (I have a bonded group of four).
Putting food in separate places should be distracting enough - hopefully!!

I don't think you need to worry about the bond. Our Charlie does the same. Grabs the best bit and runs off with it. Sometimes he gets so excited he drops it and then stops, looking baffled. Sometimes they have a tug-of-war too, over a cabbage leaf of something similar. At the same time there is no aggression between them, so it is actually quite funny to watch.

Back