• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thumper, again!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Thumper wasn't herself this morning, usual story of not eating, lethargic, stomach to the floor. Gave her pain relief, no effect 2 hours later so off to the vet we go.

Opiate pain relief, gut stimulant, and subcutaneous fluids administered at the vet. Was warned that the opiate pain relief may make her sleepy, advised to give Recovery food as stomach was moving, could hear gurgling sounds which were good.

Gave about 7ml of Recovery at 3.30, Thumps made attempts to nibble some hay but basically just wanted to be left alone in the shed, so we did. 5.30 she and Coco were let out for a bounce but although Thumps was first out of the door as normal, she just wanted to flop at the bottom of the garden, not sure if she ate anything; if she did it wasn't a lot. She was mostly lying down and when it was time to return to the shed my husband carried her back into it as she wasn't bothered about moving - most unlike her. Gave her another 5ml of Recovery at 6pm and left her to it.

About to check her, see if she's perked up.

If she hasn't, I guess it's the emergency vet but not sure what they can do? Surely she's had all the jabs she can have?

We were warned the opiates may make her dozy but surely she should have perked up by now, it's been 5 hours.

Hubby's going out to check her now.

Hopefully I've typed all this for no reason and will come back in a few minutes to say she's fine!

Cross your paws for me please ...

Thank you.

I notice on the receipt from the vets she's had an injection called Vetergesic - which is pain relief. She's never had that before. A quick google reveals that some dogs and cats have had side effects ...

I've rang the emergency vets and spoken to the receptionist who has taken great details off me and will give them to the vet who will ring back when able. Hopefully Thumper will simply need to sleep it off and be okay.

I'll update after the phone call providing it's not too late - as in what the time is!

Sending lots of vibes for Thumper. I hope the vetergesic wears off soon and that she’ll be back to her old self again. The effect that drug has on some bunnies can be pretty alarming. Fudgie was catatonic on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper wasn't herself this morning, usual story of not eating, lethargic, stomach to the floor. Gave her pain relief, no effect 2 hours later so off to the vet we go.

Opiate pain relief, gut stimulant, and subcutaneous fluids administered at the vet. Was warned that the opiate pain relief may make her sleepy, advised to give Recovery food as stomach was moving, could hear gurgling sounds which were good.

Gave about 7ml of Recovery at 3.30, Thumps made attempts to nibble some hay but basically just wanted to be left alone in the shed, so we did. 5.30 she and Coco were let out for a bounce but although Thumps was first out of the door as normal, she just wanted to flop at the bottom of the garden, not sure if she ate anything; if she did it wasn't a lot. She was mostly lying down and when it was time to return to the shed my husband carried her back into it as she wasn't bothered about moving - most unlike her. Gave her another 5ml of Recovery at 6pm and left her to it.

About to check her, see if she's perked up.

If she hasn't, I guess it's the emergency vet but not sure what they can do? Surely she's had all the jabs she can have?

We were warned the opiates may make her dozy but surely she should have perked up by now, it's been 5 hours.

Hubby's going out to check her now.

Hopefully I've typed all this for no reason and will come back in a few minutes to say she's fine!

Cross your paws for me please ...

Just catching up with this Angie.

Vetergesic *should* be out of the system in 8 hours.
In reality I have found that some rabbits react sensitively to it and it can take longer than that before normal service is resumed.

I wonder how she's doing now? xx

Thank you.

I notice on the receipt from the vets she's had an injection called Vetergesic - which is pain relief. She's never had that before. A quick google reveals that some dogs and cats have had side effects ...

I've rang the emergency vets and spoken to the receptionist who has taken great details off me and will give them to the vet who will ring back when able. Hopefully Thumper will simply need to sleep it off and be okay.

I'll update after the phone call providing it's not too late - as in what the time is!

I hope that Thumper is doing better this morning. If Vetergesic was given alongside Metoclopramide then the sedating effects of Vetergesic can be exacerbated as Metoclopramide acts on the Central Nervous System too

''The CNS effects of metoclopramide may be enhanced by sedatives, tranquillisers and narcotics''

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/metoclopramide.htm

That's not to say that they cant be used at the same time, but it might be helpful if clients were warned about the possibility that Bunny may be very spaced out for several hours.

Sending lots of vibes :love:

I hope that Thumper is doing better this morning. If Vetergesic was given alongside Metoclopramide then the sedating effects of Vetergesic can be exacerbated as Metoclopramide acts on the Central Nervous System too

''The CNS effects of metoclopramide may be enhanced by sedatives, tranquillisers and narcotics''

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/metoclopramide.htm

That's not to say that they cant be used at the same time, but it might be helpful if clients were warned about the possibility that Bunny may be very spaced out for several hours.

Sending lots of vibes :love:

In all fairness, I was warned by our normal vet that it was an opiate and that she would be sleepy for a while, althought the vet didn't say for how long.

Hi Angie

How's Thumper doing this morning? x

Thank you everyone and MM for your thoughts and wishes xx

Jane, she wasn't given Metoclopramide as well luckily, but the emergency vet thought she may have had a reaction to the vetergesic although can't be sure and wouldn't like to confirm as some do, some don't. He declined to give her more pain relief last night though, just in case!

Yes, ended up at the emergency vet last night, got there about 10.45 as she was still so sleepy and lethargic and refusing all types of food and treats. She was cool at the base of her ears as well which is a classic sign that she wasn't too well. I'd rang them first and the vet said that she should be over the vetergesic soon really and advised I took her in, though of course it was up to me - but I did as I wasn't sure.

Ed opened the door and said "I know you" to which I said "yes, I've been here once or twice!". He then replied "it's not good when you get recognised by the emergency vet!" :lol:

He gave her another dose of emipred and ranitadine but said she'd had enough pain relief to last her a while and also checked her blood glucose, which was 13 and which was what he expected given she was terrified (her paws were clenched while on the table, bless her) and he could hear some gut movement so didn't expect it to be high but wanted to check to rule a blockage out. I like Ed, he's quite rabbit savvy. He checked her temperature as well which was slightly low at 35 but said that a heat pad in the shed should be sufficient - he said that bringing her indoors would probably stress her out more than necessary and as it wasn't a cold night she would be fine back outside in normal surroundings. She was actually starting to nibble on the hay I'd popped into the carrier and having a look around before we left the consultation room, so that was positive.

Got home - we were all shattered I think! - gave her another 5ml of Recovery on vet advice and did a heat pad and then popped them back outside.

This morning she's back to her normal self! yaay!

Bloody rabbits :lol:

:love:

Last edited:

Jane, she wasn't given Metoclopramide as well luckily, but the emergency vet thought she may have had a reaction to the vetergesic although can't be sure and wouldn't like to confirm as some do, some don't. He declined to give her more pain relief last night though, just in case!

Yes, ended up at the emergency vet last night, got there about 10.45 as she was still so sleepy and lethargic and refusing all types of food and treats. She was cool at the base of her ears as well which is a classic sign that she wasn't too well. I'd rang them first and the vet said that she should be over the vetergesic soon really and advised I took her in, though of course it was up to me - but I did as I wasn't sure.

Ed opened the door and said "I know you" to which I said "yes, I've been here once or twice!". He then replied "it's not good when you get recognised by the emergency vet!" :lol:

He gave her another dose of emipred and ranitadine but said she'd had enough pain relief to last her a while and also checked her blood glucose, which was 13 and which was what he expected given she was terrified (her paws were clenched while on the table, bless her) and he could her some gut movement so didn't expect it to be high but wanted to check to rule a blockage out. I like Ed, he's quite rabbit savvy. He checked her temperature as well which was slightly low at 35 but said that a heat pad in the shed should be sufficient - he said that bringing her indoors would probably stress her out more than necessary and as it wasn't a cold night she would be fine back outside in normal surroundings. She was actually starting to nibble on the hay I'd popped into the carrier and having a look around before we left the consultation room, so that was positive.

Got home - we were all shattered I think! - gave her another 5ml of Recovery on vet advice and did a heat pad and then popped them back outside.

Yay!!!

Glad to hear she's OK but sorry she worried the pants off you. What an ordeal!

You caught it early and it's hopefully the end of it.

Hope you can catch up with your ZZZZ's tonight if not sooner :)

Yay!!!

Glad to hear she's OK but sorry she worried the pants off you. What an ordeal!

You caught it early and it's hopefully the end of it.

Hope you can catch up with your ZZZZ's tonight if not sooner :)

Thank you, MM, I intend on an early night tonight! To top it off, we'd been on holiday last week and although I'd taken my antihistamines with me, I hadn't actually taken them and with all the fur flying about - Coco is moulting SO badly! - I had an absolutely terrible reaction and my nose was literally dripping like a tap, I got through so many tissues it was unbelievable and my nose was so sore! I couldn't wait to get home and wash my hands and face and strip off basically to get out of the fur as it was everywhere and of course Rex fur is so darned fine! I was still sneezing and blowing my nose at 3am :( so had a terribly disturbed night as well, oh woe is me! Guess who had 2 squirts of her nasal antihistamine this morning?! :lol: That's a severe lesson learned!! I'm not too bad now thank goodness. Again, bloody rabbits :lol:

I'm glad that Thumper is feeling better. Sending hugs for your allergies. I do empathise.

In all fairness, I was warned by our normal vet that it was an opiate and that she would be sleepy for a while, althought the vet didn't say for how long.

Jane, she wasn't given Metoclopramide as well luckily,
but the emergency vet thought she may have had a reaction to the vetergesic although can't be sure and wouldn't like to confirm as some do, some don't. He declined to give her more pain relief last night though, just in case!

He gave her another dose of emipred and ranitadine but said she'd had enough pain relief to last her a while and also checked her blood glucose, which was 13 and which was what he expected given she was terrified (her paws were clenched while on the table, bless her) and he could hear some gut movement so didn't expect it to be high but wanted to check to rule a blockage out. I like Ed, he's quite rabbit savvy. He checked her temperature as well which was slightly low at 35 but said that a heat pad in the shed should be sufficient - he said that bringing her indoors would probably stress her out more than necessary and as it wasn't a cold night she would be fine back outside in normal surroundings. She was actually starting to nibble on the hay I'd popped into the carrier and having a look around before we left the consultation room, so that was positive.

Emeprid is a brand name for Metoclopramide :)

Glad to hear that Thumper is much better now, Sending vibes for your Bank balance !!

Thank you, MM, I intend on an early night tonight! To top it off, we'd been on holiday last week and although I'd taken my antihistamines with me, I hadn't actually taken them and with all the fur flying about - Coco is moulting SO badly! - I had an absolutely terrible reaction and my nose was literally dripping like a tap, I got through so many tissues it was unbelievable and my nose was so sore! I couldn't wait to get home and wash my hands and face and strip off basically to get out of the fur as it was everywhere and of course Rex fur is so darned fine! I was still sneezing and blowing my nose at 3am :( so had a terribly disturbed night as well, oh woe is me! Guess who had 2 squirts of her nasal antihistamine this morning?! :lol: That's a severe lesson learned!! I'm not too bad now thank goodness. Again, bloody rabbits :lol:

Oh no!!

All your restful holiday down the pan!
Not really - I hope you get an early night and sleep it all away.

Where did you go? x

Emeprid is a brand name for Metoclopramide :)

Glad to hear that Thumper is much better now, Sending vibes for your Bank balance !!

I didn't know that; she had emeprid as well at the normal vet. She also had another dose last night at the emergency vet but he said that the vetergesic should be wearing off by then anyway as she'd had it for 8 hours by then.

She's insured, so aside from the £75 excess the rest was covered, luckily!

Back