• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Aggression Advice.

Hi Everyone,

I'm not a newbie when it comes to owning rabbits, however I'm a newbie when it comes to rabbits showing aggression which is unidentified. I'm getting a male bunny next week, he's around 12 weeks old. He was advertised as a nervous bunny to the current owner, but isn't nervous but started showing aggression towards her. He lunges and grunts. The lady said that once he is settled out of his cage and with a person handling, he is fine. The lady who has him now is an experienced owner herself but has never experienced anything other than nerves in a rabbit whereas I've had rabbits becoming aggressive when un-neutered or ill in another way, hence the reason for rehoming as she has children who help her with the rabbits she has and she's worried they will forget that the bunny needs more patience and careful movements around him.

The woman was sold the rabbit as a female but has said he is a male for sure but just not yet fully developed enough to be neutered.

Could this be a territorial thing? I just want to be prepared for when I get him? Just some advice on what to do? Or maybe just see how he reacts around me?

Thank you :) any advice would be helpful.

I'm not an expert but it could just be a hormonal thing. Although I would ask whether she has taken the rabbit to the vet and, if not, insist she does so before you take him/her on as there could be an underlying medical reason for his behaviour. I feel a bit sorry for this bun, only 12 weeks old and being shipped out already, sounds like his current owner can't be bothered to investigate the cause and put the work in to hopefully rectify it.

Back