• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ADVICE please!

Hello all, we are fairly new to the rabbit life. We have a male and female. Not neutered yet (making appointments tomorrow).. we just got the female yesterday from the pet store and our male we got from a girl about 6 months ago. any advice on how to get them to bond with us more? Or want more interaction with us? They hardly come up to me and would rather run away when we get close. However they are very used to humans....The female we got from a pet store and she was handled and pet constantly they all told us how much she loved being pet, maybe she has to settle in with us? ... or Maybe she had no choice? Lol Help please :) I just want to pet and love them! Also is it a good/bad idea to feed them treats by hand? I haven’t done it yet because we have 2 toddlers and don’t want them to associate our hands with food and possibly bite? Any advice on that? Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbits take along time to trust us. The best way to interact with them is to sit on the floor reading or watching TV and let them come to you. Just small steps one at a time.

We hand feed our buns their pellets, usually sitting in the pen with them, the buns will usually climb on us to get the pellets. Visiting children have also fed them, but we don't have any toddlers living here

Welcome to the forum, they are lovely. The male can be neutered anytime now being 6 months old, this will help calm any boyish behaviour, jumping, spraying etc
Not sure how old your new rabbit it but if only a baby will have to wait few months and when she weighs about 1kg can be spayed, this also helps prevent uterine Cancer, and calm hormones,
Rabbits being prey animals don't really like being held or cuddled although there are some exceptions, they'd much rather you interact on ground level, maybe lie on floor first and let them hop onto and over you, before gradually shaking your hands with treat, a hand coming towards the can be scarey so let them come to you and talk to them quietly to gain there trust

I've requested this post to mods to move it to behaviour and bonding for you, so will get more views :wave:

Last edited:
Back