• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing oldies indoors for winter?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi all,

It's been a while! Two of my buns are getting on a bit now (8/9 years) and I'm wondering about whether I should build them an indoor home for the winter.

They'd have a lot less space during the day indoors, but would be a lot warmer. I suppose my question is can the warmth make up for the smaller space? And once they're inside, would it be too disruptive to put them back out for summer?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just commenting on your title - yes, I'm definitely indoors from now until Spring. ;)

You're as bad as me Babsie :lol:

Hi sierra :wave:

I would consider it on the basis of their respective health status and not age.

That said, it would be OK to put them out in the summer, as they may well enjoy the change of scene, and extended space :)

Thanks both [emoji6]
I've convinced my husband so now need to find a super cost effective way to secure their indoor corner...
In terms of temperatures, when do you think is right to bring them in and then to go back out again?

Oh and in terms of health status, Tango is generally well but is a dental bun so there's the added worry of a night or two indoors anyway every now and again and then having to go back outside which isn't ideal. Finx is generally healthy but noticeably less active now compared to previous summers, she fractured a leg a few years ago and now I think it gets stiff, she does a lot of stretching after a long nap.

Last edited:
Thanks both [emoji6]
I've convinced my husband so now need to find a super cost effective way to secure their indoor corner...
In terms of temperatures, when do you think is right to bring them in and then to go back out again?

Oh and in terms of health status, Tango is generally well but is a dental bun so there's the added worry of a night or two indoors anyway every now and again and then having to go back outside which isn't ideal. Finx is generally healthy but noticeably less active now compared to previous summers, she fractured a leg a few years ago and now I think it gets stiff, she does a lot of stretching after a long nap.

Welcome sierra :)

Regarding temperatures, it's difficult to say, and I would assess when the time comes. It was difficult this year, as it suddenly got *very* cold again, and people wanting to put their rabbits out were unable to do so.

I would err on the side of caution, and make sure the nights were very warm before putting them out. Once they are outside, it's not so crucial when you bring them in, as they would be used to the gradual change in temperature. Unless there's a freak cold snap then you should be OK.

It is lovely having rabbits in the house though :love:

Back