• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit owners

Hello all! I am brand new to this forum but excited to be apart of bunny life ! We got our first rabbit about 6 months ago. He’s a male - not yet neutered (I’m pretty sure he’s a Californian or Himalayan) just by doing some research. He’s pretty shy but doesn’t mind being pet when he wants ! We just today got a female rabbit (looks like a harlequin - she’s also much bigger than he) Also not yet spayed. We set her cage up next to his in the same room for now until we get them fixed soon. Hoping they will bond great when it comes times to it! Any advice and info or corrections in their breeds welcomed! Thanks everyone.
76d5172b58e3b3525adc87bf8af4fbc6.png
4a4bcfe1bc9b2fa0e9dc9be69e21b746.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to the Forum. If you are hoping to have a bonded pair in the not too distant future my advice would be to have both bunnies neutered at the same time - do you know how old the female is? Your boy is old enough to be neutered and the reason it would be best to have them both done is to prevent the female becoming territorial, which could hinder her from accepting the male. Once both rabbits are neutered they can be bonded once they have recovered from their ops.

I'm not good at bunny breeds but I'd guess as you have. Regardless, they are gorgeous bunnies. Welcome to RU

Hello and welcome to the Forum. If you are hoping to have a bonded pair in the not too distant future my advice would be to have both bunnies neutered at the same time - do you know how old the female is? Your boy is old enough to be neutered and the reason it would be best to have them both done is to prevent the female becoming territorial, which could hinder her from accepting the male. Once both rabbits are neutered they can be bonded once they have recovered from their ops.

Yes we are trying to get them both neutered at the same time as soon as possible. We are calling the vet on Monday. I’m hoping they bond well once all is healed enough to meet. she is def old enough to be spayed.. not sure if her exact age though. Just hoping her being bigger and more confident in herself than he won’t be a problem! He has seemed to come out his shell a bit since smelling her!

Spaying should calm her down a little. A lot of rabbits these days are cross rabbits, especially if they come from Pets at Home. I will have another look and see what I can come up with.

The white bunny is what we call a REW, a Red Eyed White. His colouring is Himalayan but he is possibly a mixture of several breeds! I have no idea what the female is, she is definitely a big girl and not sure if she is a Harlequin or not. I hope she settles in with you.

The white bunny is what we call a REW, a Red Eyed White. His colouring is Himalayan but he is possibly a mixture of several breeds! I have no idea what the female is, she is definitely a big girl and not sure if she is a Harlequin or not. I hope she settles in with you.

Cool thank you! I will keep you updated as we neuter and then bond when it’s time :) right now it’s a poop fest all around our screened in patio since we let them out separately.. the litter box is temporarily out of use ! Lol but I read this is normal for rabbits once they smell another in their territory.

Yes they do like to "mark" their territory. I don't know if you know already but one easy way we find to litter train rabbits is by putting hay in the litter tray, maybe some newspaper underneath or other substrate as rabbits like to poop while they eat their hay. :) Are they vaccinated?

Yes they do like to "mark" their territory. I don't know if you know already but one easy way we find to litter train rabbits is by putting hay in the litter tray, maybe some newspaper underneath or other substrate as rabbits like to poop while they eat their hay. :) Are they vaccinated?

Hm ok I haven’t tried that as the white one doesn’t eat too much hay. I just started by putting his poop and pee from his cage in there and it worked right away. The other one (female) I may have to do that with as she’s quite fond of hay. But will they even use it right now? Since they keep smelling each other and marking. Neither are vaccinated right now as we haven’t gone to the vet yet. We only just found an exotic one so our plan is to do it all at once when we get an appointment. Is vaccinating necessary if they don’t go outdoor outdoors? All info welcome :)

Yes indoor rabbits should be vaccinated. One vaccine covers Myxomatosis and RHD1 and the second vaccine covers RHD2. They need to be done separately with 2 weeks between them. Your Vet will give you more info, also there is a lot of advice on here. All rabbits should be eating lots of hay and a small portion of pellets. The hay helps to keep their teeth worn down and their digestive system working efficiently. Your rabbits will need about 1 tbsp. of pellets per day. If a rabbit isn't interested in eating hay he is either being fed too many pellets or he has teeth problems.

Back