• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

80cm ALWAYS OPEN cage for 2 mini lops okay?

minilop343

New Kit
I'm thinking of getting two mini lops and would let them have free roam around the sitting room/my bedroom when I'm away, and full access to the house when I'm home. However, as I'd like them to have a base for eating, drinking and using the toilet I want to use a cage for that. We have an alcove where the fish tank used to be but I can only fit an 80cm long cage in there and would put a ramp of sorts so they can go up and down it as they desire into the rest of the sitting room. The other option would be keeping them in my bedroom with access to an open cage when I'm not home, and bringing them downstairs when the rest of the family is home until bedtime.

I understand that the RSPCA recommends that the cage be at least 4 times the length of a rabbit, but is that only if you're keeping them inside it for most of the day? We don't have the space required for those big 6x2 cages, and an 80cm cage would fit perfectly into the alcove and look neat. Would the proposed setup be okay for two mini lops?

If they are indoor rabbits, and never shut in, I wouldn't see any problems with it. It's basically just a hide within a greater sized enclosure (being your bedroom or sitting room.)

Yeah that sounds perfectly fine :) Make sure they have safe access though - I've heard of bunnies getting hurt on the cage door, when people just keep the cage door open and let it hang down. I think Id remove the door to ensure that doesn't happen.

Oh that's great then! I'll make sure to take the door out and put a ramp in place so they don't get hurt. One other question I had; how high can they jump? Are they able to jump on to a sofa? Can I use a normal puppypen type thing to keep them enclosed in the sitting room?

Oh that's great then! I'll make sure to take the door out and put a ramp in place so they don't get hurt. One other question I had; how high can they jump? Are they able to jump on to a sofa? Can I use a normal puppypen type thing to keep them enclosed in the sitting room?

Yes they will be able to!

I have known little Netherland Dwarf rabbits who can easily jump 5 feet ...

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

One of our indoor set ups is similar where they have the whole room and a cage base. It's especially useful as a toilet area.

With regards to jumping, some of ours would make it their mission to escape from whatever pen I set up and others who wouldn't even be bothered to try :lol: x

Back