• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing bunny - what to monitor? U/D bunny now coughing?

Two of my past bunnies had bad allergies. They lived to be two of my oldest bunnies. One only had to avoid hay and softwood shavings and he was fine. The other required both avoidance of hay and softwood shavings, plus ever increasing dosages and types of antibiotics. Culture and sensitivity testing may be needed to determine the proper type of antibiotic if the first course of medicine is not successful.

Thanks Bunny Momma! ...that makes complete sense, and is hugely reassuring, thank you so much for sharing your experience too x

I just wanted to take the time to update on this, given that it was such a conundrum/mystery!
...my little lady's sneezes just slowly petered out, she now sneezes very occasionally (as in, once every few days), and is still fine in herself.

I chose not to give the antibiotics in the end, as I felt nothing was worrying enough, but I definitely appreciate having them here just in case.

My best guess is something stuck/irritating the nasal passage, or some sort of mild allergy?!

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and advice x x

Glad to hear that she recovered without needing the abx. Hope she remains well now :)

I just wanted to take the time to update on this, given that it was such a conundrum/mystery!
...my little lady's sneezes just slowly petered out, she now sneezes very occasionally (as in, once every few days), and is still fine in herself.

I chose not to give the antibiotics in the end, as I felt nothing was worrying enough, but I definitely appreciate having them here just in case.

My best guess is something stuck/irritating the nasal passage, or some sort of mild allergy?!

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and advice x x

I am so glad your little one is on the mend.

Back