• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lunging/biting when clicker training

NyxTaryn

Young Bun
Hi, so I need some advice about giving a rabbit treats for clicker training. My girl bunny (Lirael) will often lunge or dive towards food when you put it down for her and she does a similar thing if you offer a treat by hand, often resulting in her teeth around my thumb, finger, or nail, sometimes causing damage, but mostly not. It does make me reluctant to offer her food this way though. She does it more when she's very excited or knows there's food coming - I don't think it's an aggression thing as she'll happily let me put my hands near to her to stroke her or take food from an open hand, but I could be wrong.

So, does anyone have any advice about ways I could offer her treats/food by hand that might be less likely to result in this behaviour? I usually hold the treat high enough that she needs to stand up to reach it, between by finger and thumb. I've mostly avoided this being a problem before by giving her treats like dandelion leaves or something else reasonably large I can hold out to her (and keep away from my fingers!), but at the moment I'm trying clicker training with her and her companion (Hardy) as a way to interact and bond with him that isn't stroking (he's young and far too hyper to sit for strokes unless he's tired), which means I'm trying this with her too.

I'm using small healthy treats that are much closer to my fingers or their normal pellets, as I don't want to overfeed them. If I drop them for her she can't seem to find them and then he eats it for her (lol) so that doesn't work (plus I'm trying to keep the clicking and reward as close together as possible). She tends to get very excited and a bit frustrated because she knows I have treats, then she starts lunging at everything that moves...He gets very excited too, but mostly climbs on me and begs. So, does anyone have any ideas about the sort of treats they can eat quickly that might be a bit larger, how I should give the treat, or any other ways to encourage her to take the treats 'nicely' when I give them to her? Would I be better off trying this at a particular time of day, or not letting them know I have treats right away, or just perservering and hoping she gets used to it eventually?

Thanks for your help and advice :)

I don't know of any way we can calm our rabbits down when food is on offer especially when they are in a pair. Single rabbits don't have any competition so are a bit easier. Food is their top priority and therefore they are acting naturally .

Thanks tonibun, yes I know she's bound to get excited with food - especially treats. I'll try doing it separately with them if I can, see if that helps. I know it's possible to train rabbits, but I'm not sure I understand how people get over this particular issue! I might try offering her treats in a small cup or something, or ensuring she can't see them until I offer them, so she doesn't get frustrated and think I'm teasing her with it or something. If it doesn't work out with her, I might just train him separately as a way to bond with him and continue interacting with her how I normally would (she loves a good head stroke :) )

Back