• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RHD2 Question

Beapig

Mama Doe
I booked my trio in to be vaccinated against RHD2 tomorrow.

Plumpkin has never had this vaccine, so no need to worry there.

When we originally wanted to get Ham & Bea vaccinated against it, my local vet didn't have the vaccine. So we had to go out of our way to another vet to get them done. When I was on the phone booking the appointment, this detail was a blur to me so I didn't stop to think exactly when they were last done. I knew that they had the Myx and RHD2 done in September.

Looking at the bank statements, it was November 28th for the last RH2D. Given that it has only been 8 months, not a whole year, is it still okay to get them done tomorrow? Or is it advisable to wait? My local vet said it's lucky we called because they only have 3 in stock - enough for our rabbits. I have seen on here that some people get their bunnies done every 6 months.

Would it be advisable to call up and double check with my vet? I assume there's no harm in getting it done a little bit early, especially with all of the outbreaks going on?

When we originally wanted to get Ham & Bea vaccinated against it, my local vet didn't have the vaccine. So we had to go out of our way to another vet to get them done. When I was on the phone booking the appointment, this detail was a blur to me so I didn't stop to think exactly when they were last done. I knew that they had the Myx and RHD2 done in September.

Looking at the bank statements, it was November 28th for the last RH2D. Given that it has only been 8 months, not a whole year, is it still okay to get them done tomorrow? Or is it advisable to wait? My local vet said it's lucky we called because they only have 3 in stock - enough for our rabbits. I have seen on here that some people get their bunnies done every 6 months.

Would it be advisable to call up and double check with my vet? I assume there's no harm in getting it done a little bit early, especially with all of the outbreaks going on?

I assume it is the Filavac ? If so then the duration of immunity is 12 months

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

However in very high risk situations- eg Rescues some Vets are advising boosters are given after 6 months

If it was the Eravac RHD2 Vaccine that was given this only has a 9 month duration of immunity

https://www.hipra.com/wcm/connect/h...-c99a8b7f-4a17-429f-9da0-6789d74520b8-mh-qXaY

I can't see why it wouldn't be okay. One of my rabbits had her RHD2 jab in November last year, at a different practice because my normal one didn't stock it at the time. When I got her Myxi/RHD1 jab done last week, my vet was just checking when her RHD2 was due as it wasn't on their system, and was quite happy for me to have it done in 2 weeks so that both jabs will be done around the same time and it is then easier for me to keep track of. Even though it hasn't been a full year since she was vaccinated, my vet said this was fine - on the care plan my vet practice has, you can have it done every 6 months at a discounted rate.

Yes, it's fine to get them done before 12 months. As you have noticed some people routinely get it done every 6 months.

Thank you everyone, my mind is at rest. I don't mind that it is less economical, because I'd rather not take the risk of the vaccine going out of stock again. I can't drive yet and my local vet is within walking distance, so it's safer for me in that sense to get them sorted whilst the vaccine is in stock :)

If there's a worry about the vaccine going out of stock, then it's probably best you get it done.

I actually get my vet to put my name on a few vials for when they are due - but it may be harder to do that where you are?

I personally prefer to do the vaccinations every year, but there should be no problem in vaccinating now :)

Filavac has immunity for one year, and Eravac has immunity for 9 months.
Do you know which it is that your vet has given already (and has in stock) ?

Back