• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to Help Grieving Bun

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
My little Bertie is very low and I’m very worried.

He hasn’t eaten his food overnight and whilst he’s peeing, I haven’t seen him drink. He’s not interested in treats (unheard of!) and just ignored a plate of pear & apple pieces. He just wants to lie and be stroked.

I don’t know how to help him.

I’m going to Vet to pick up Bella’s ashes today, so I’ll buy some Fibreplex at the same time.

I’ve bought some apple juice to mix in his water and I have some Ella’s kitchen baby food fruit-mix too.

I don’t know what to do, I want to help him. I so understand his grief but I don’t know how to make it better. They were brother and sister from the same litter and he’s never been apart from her. They ate together, went to the tray together, sunbathed together, begged for treats together... There were always two furry bots together.

Pepper Bun is helping him but maybe it’s not enough - she’s a curious little bun and moves around a lot, and he wants to lie and snuggle.

What do I do? How do I help him?

I can't think of any advice which might cheer him up a bit. I would watch his eating, or not eating, apart from that just give him time really. At least he has another bunny there so better than being on his own.

I hope you get more replies as this is such an important issue. When this happened to us we bought a rescue bunny and bonded them slowly, now they love each other to bits!

My little Bertie is very low and I’m very worried.

He hasn’t eaten his food overnight and whilst he’s peeing, I haven’t seen him drink. He’s not interested in treats (unheard of!) and just ignored a plate of pear & apple pieces. He just wants to lie and be stroked.

I don’t know how to help him.

I’m going to Vet to pick up Bella’s ashes today, so I’ll buy some Fibreplex at the same time.

I’ve bought some apple juice to mix in his water and I have some Ella’s kitchen baby food fruit-mix too.

I don’t know what to do, I want to help him. I so understand his grief but I don’t know how to make it better. They were brother and sister from the same litter and he’s never been apart from her. They ate together, went to the tray together, sunbathed together, begged for treats together... There were always two furry bots together.

Pepper Bun is helping him but maybe it’s not enough - she’s a curious little bun and moves around a lot, and he wants to lie and snuggle.

What do I do? How do I help him?
I'm so sorry :( it's always such a horrible situation :(

I don't really have much advice but when my male mini lop died and left my female behind, she was the same, I laid with her and stroked her for days basically (I was 17 and it was holidays) I didn't leave her side and neither did my dog, was like she knew :( slowly she picked up and we changed her environment completely even where she lived and she got used to being with my dog and terrorising her and grooming her - looking back we should've probably got another bunny, but she was already about 9 when my male died so I wasn't sure how much longer we'd have her.

I think it's great there's another bunny there, I'd make sure he doesn't stop eating but give him some time, could you give him a stuffed animal? Or a doughnut? They're these big pillow things they love laying in or against, makes them feel like they're laying with other rabbits supposedly, mine love their doughnut - wish I had more suggestions :( I really hope bertie picks up soon xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I'd second what Graciee said really. When we lost my Smudge's brother I took extra time where I could to sit with him, talked to him and was present with him. I remember getting him some fresh dandelions and I had a glass of wine and we just sat together. Basically similar to what you'd do for a friend when grieving a person they or both of you were close to. Just making sure you're open and there and around for them. It helped me too as I also missed Lambchop and we were his closest pals so it was good to be together.

I hope Bertie feels better and it's great he's got a new rabbit companion. Hopefully it's all just taking some adjustment but definitely keep an eye on eating and support him there if you need to as well.

Bertie is feeling a bit better and he’s regaining his naughtiness and curiosity bit by bit. I had to tell him off the other day - he’s normally a naughty little boy, so seeing him getting up to old tricks was lovely :) He’s eating better and toileting better. He’s still very sad but I can see improvements xx

I hope you get more replies as this is such an important issue. When this happened to us we bought a rescue bunny and bonded them slowly, now they love each other to bits!

I believe each individual owner knows best how to respond to a rabbit's bereavement. It is the same with a human bereavement. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with it.

My Beautiful Bertie is doing so well and I’m so proud :D He hopped up on the bed to see me, and when I was busy putting pellets in their breakfast bowls, he decided to help himself out of the tub :D

Yay Bertie!

Back