• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 questions. Holding and butt twitching?

Jaspar0205

Young Bun
Hey it's me again.

I've got 2 questions.One of them is more like a....curious question.

Q1) Whats the best way to ease a rabbit when holding?

Okay so Luna has settled in great, she gets on great with Jaspar, loves being pet and having attention in general. (I want to point out that she is NOT spayed,she will be once I get enough money to do so). The issue here is holding. Now I know that rabbits or at least the majority of them don't like being picked up since they're prey animals, and I don't plan on using either one of my buns as a teddy bear,but she is a nightmare.I only need to pick her up for when she's going to the vets but she wont have it. I've tried their recommendations I.E put a blanket over them and wrap them up like a burrito, hold close to your chest, give her treat/stroke her when shes being held but none of them are working. She squeals so much and scratches and sometimes to the point, if I do have her,she shows her teeth. Again, I don't want to cuddle them and such since they're not that type of animal but does anyone have any suggestions that could possibly calm her down or any easier ways of holding?

Q2) Whenever I give Jaspar a banana, his butt twitches. I only give them a banana once every week or two and its only a small piece.
Is it because he really likes the banana and he's happy and excited about it or is it anything serious? This only happens with a banana and Luna's but does not twitch.

Q1: If you need to pick her up, do it with confidence, the second they feel that you don't mean it, or apologize in your thoughts - they see their advantage. No "I'm sorry bunny, but I need to pick you up" but a "Hi, bunny, here we go!"
I prefer to pick up reluctant rabbits when they face me, when they back into a corner that works best. (Well, at least in the hutches where I can get to their level, on the floor it's somewhat different). I put both arms along their sides, grab their hind legs and pull them to me in one swift motion, hold them to my body with the left, turn them slightly so that their hind feet rest against my belly (imho they need some pressure on their hind feet, if they are in the air they feel unconfortable). I keep the left hand at the hind leg, supporting the body with that arm, and put the right on their head, either covering their face, stuffing it under my left upper arm, or just petting their head. I do that regularily, and just holding them for seconds, then letting them hop away on their own, not putting them down, imho this gives them a feeling of control over the situation. And, always a treat the second they hop out of my arms. They get used to it quickly, they don't like it, but it's just an annoyance, they don't even hop away when I let them go.

When they sit on the ground I pet them, put my arms around them so that the right, inner arm goes under their chest while the left scoops up their hind legs, so that their feet get tilted toward me and their rear lies sideways on my left hand, always so close to the body that they can't slip or struggle.

Anyway, it's just practise, but try to support their whole body and limit their movements. If they struggle and you can't control it get down and gently let go.

It sounds easy when writing about it, but now and then when not in the mood my 10lbs buck is still clawing all over me and leaving me a bloody mess that looks like I did sparring for Freddy Krueger..

Q2: That's cute :)

Last edited:
Q2. I've asked about this on here. Sveral owners have buns that do this when there is a tasty treat in the offing. My Mousey does it when she eats her cecos :lol:

I have a couple of rabbits that have never got used to being picked up so if I had to take one to the Vets Iwould get them in the carrier and hope the Vet is more confident. Some Vets won't do claws if the rabbit is too scared without sedation, so the next best thing is try to find a man who is willing to pick the rabbit up, possibly someone who has a rabbit etc, he will have the strength to hold a scared rabbit. Is your rabbit big? Some rabbits do this twitching when food is on offer. I've never read an explanation as to why.

Back