• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cheapest place to get vetbed...or other flooring ideas?

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
as the title really, where is the cheapest place to get vetbed? I'm struggling to find where to buy any and getting a bit confused if I'm honest. its doing my head in.

or, perhaps other flooring ideas? I'm really interested in childrens foam mats but I know they'll chew them :(

planning too, within the next month, to completely renovate the rabbits pen soon to give them more room. it won't be a lot more but, it should be a good amount and then I plan to get an ikea bed and some MPH items for them. one a time but, hopefully it will all work.

as the title really, where is the cheapest place to get vetbed? I'm struggling to find where to buy any and getting a bit confused if I'm honest. its doing my head in.

or, perhaps other flooring ideas? I'm really interested in childrens foam mats but I know they'll chew them :(

planning too, within the next month, to completely renovate the rabbits pen soon to give them more room. it won't be a lot more but, it should be a good amount and then I plan to get an ikea bed and some MPH items for them. one a time but, hopefully it will all work.

Amazon sell vet beds sometimes cheaper, look at the temperature you wanna wash them at, the non slip ones are max 40 I think and cannot be tumble dried. Won't they chew vet beds? They're very chewable [emoji38]

Other thing is you can get a roll if you need a fair bit, works out a bit cheaper :)

What's the actual flooring you're trying to cover?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I bought the proper Petlife Vetbed from Pets at Home online. I'm not a big fan of it though. The one advantage of it is that it can be washed at 90 degrees, but it's expensive and poos (guinea pig or bunny) get stuck in it.

I bought the proper Petlife Vetbed from Pets at Home online. I'm not a big fan of it though. The one advantage of it is that it can be washed at 90 degrees, but it's expensive and poos (guinea pig or bunny) get stuck in it.
Yea sometimes I found pets at home to be cheaper - I think it depends on the type what temperature you can wash it at, I have a gold one? Which is 90, rest I think are non slip so 40 max.

Never found that with poop either [emoji38][emoji38] can imagine that not being fun tho!

Had another thought if you do got for vet bed, you'll probably wanna get horse wash bags because otherwise you'll end up with hay in your washing machine.. And then clothes... [emoji38] Even if you shake them out, some always stays on, so wash them in the bag, it all collects in the bag, and you can empty the stuff into the bin afterwards :)

hmm okay. idk what to use for flooring, I've always had this issue. right now they have absorbable bath mats but they're getting pretty gross and they're expensive. but nothing else works and I need to protect the carpet.

I don't know the exact space I'm trying to cover as of the moment, I haven't measured it out I'll be honest. maybe roughly 140cm long x 100cm wide? it might be more or less I'm not sure. I need to measure it I can't find the tape measure lol

If it's to protect the carpet, what about coroplast sheets? You know, like people use on guinea pig/rabbit cages. It's pretty cheap. I've used it for pets and it's wipe-able also. You can buy a big sheet and cut it to size.

I don't think it'd be very chewable - especially if they couldn't get to the edges very well. But I've never really had buns that chew really badly so I'm not sure.

that is an idea, but I'm worried about Luna with her arthritis and sore hocks. she needs something that will let her sink her feet into which I don't think chloroplast will. I'm also a bit worried about them slipping but I'm not sure, never used it. I wish I could rip up the carpet in my bedroom, but the wooden floor isn't exactly in a state to be walked on thanks to my older siblings when they lived here.

I was thinking about buying some antipill fleece, cutting it slightly too big so they can't reach the edges and sewing two pieces together. I've done that before and it worked pretty well, just fleece isn't exactly cheap. perhaps I can do a mix of choroplast and fleece to extra protect it.

I think at the moment they chew because they're bored and I can't let them out... they have decided to start chewing my carpet all around the edges.. my dad is starting to complain and if they continue he's threatened to kick me out or the bunnies (so basically me as well bc I won't leave them behind). so its a case of making the pen bigger, offering some more toys and hoping to let them out with supervision :(

that is an idea, but I'm worried about Luna with her arthritis and sore hocks. she needs something that will let her sink her feet into which I don't think chloroplast will. I'm also a bit worried about them slipping but I'm not sure, never used it. I wish I could rip up the carpet in my bedroom, but the wooden floor isn't exactly in a state to be walked on thanks to my older siblings when they lived here.

I was thinking about buying some antipill fleece, cutting it slightly too big so they can't reach the edges and sewing two pieces together. I've done that before and it worked pretty well, just fleece isn't exactly cheap. perhaps I can do a mix of choroplast and fleece to extra protect it.

I think at the moment they chew because they're bored and I can't let them out... they have decided to start chewing my carpet all around the edges.. my dad is starting to complain and if they continue he's threatened to kick me out or the bunnies (so basically me as well bc I won't leave them behind). so its a case of making the pen bigger, offering some more toys and hoping to let them out with supervision :(

Oh :( how big is their pen? Do they have enough space? Hope it doesn't come to that with your dad :( x

Oh :( how big is their pen? Do they have enough space? Hope it doesn't come to that with your dad :( x

I'll admit, its not big enough. it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I could never meet the minimum requirements. I feel terrible for it. at the time when I brought home bunnies I was a 13 year old, I didn't know what I should. but at that time, Snoopy lived outside. things changed, I brought home Luna, my plan was for them to be bonded and go outside together. Snoopy became sick and he had to come inside to live. at that time they had 100cm to live in if that. I changed around, they had a dog crate to live in. Snoopy passed away and things stayed as they were, I wasn't at school so I spent all my time with her. I then got Luna a friend and brought a double hutch that could be split in half so I could have them.. it was only a 4ft hutch. my plan was for them to have this as a base, and then when bonded they could then have free roam to my room the entire time. that plan was working but.. now they've started destroying the carpet so I can't let them free roam anymore.. :(

they to have a pen attached to their hutch, its only 120cm x 80cm however.. not big at all. I didn't anticipate this problem. Luna's never been a chewer and Orion never was.. up until recently. they've had a lot to do. outside time, boxes to chew, boxes with ripped up boxes to forage, treat balls, scatter feeding but I guess the carpet is more fun.

I feel terrible, they've never had enough room and I can't give them the room they should have. I've been shunned enough for it already, being called abusive and every name under the sun. I know it isn't right. I didn't know what I knew now and I'm trying to make it right but its difficult. I only wanted Luna to be happy with a friend. I don't want them to be locked in a prison.

so now my plan is to scrap the hutch, and just get some dog panels and make up my own pen to suit how much there is.. it won't be nearly big enough, probably 100cm x 140cm but it will be completely undisturbed space and not like they have now with the hutch in the way. it will be better than it is currently. I can add a lot more than I can now as the hutch gets in the way. a diggy box hopefully, some things to do, more space to move.

and then whenever we can move out.. I can give them a lot more and I'm very sure of that. just until then hang on tight I suppose. just things seem to take a while for jobs to get settled :? I do feel bad, I do, but I'm trying my best for whats in my control.

Oh yea, I didn't realize about the sore hocks! Always difficult figuring out flooring that won't upset the hocks.

I'm not in the UK so it might be diferent there, but here stores sell antipill fleece in the craft section for cheap. E.g. I go to Walmart and have them cut me a yard (for example) of fleece. They'll cut it to whatever size you want. 1 yard is about $3 for a reference point.

I dunno if like Asad or something does that over there but if so it's really useful!:)

I always get my vet from eBay if you search for seller shootingstarjef they always have a lot to choose from in all sorts of different colours and sizes :)

I’m wondering if you are struggling with them chewing indoors, and giving them enough space, wether you could consider having them outdoors? Hopefully space wouldn’t be an issue there?

You obviously love them very much and I can see you are trying to do the best you can for them.

I'll admit, its not big enough. it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I could never meet the minimum requirements. I feel terrible for it. at the time when I brought home bunnies I was a 13 year old, I didn't know what I should. but at that time, Snoopy lived outside. things changed, I brought home Luna, my plan was for them to be bonded and go outside together. Snoopy became sick and he had to come inside to live. at that time they had 100cm to live in if that. I changed around, they had a dog crate to live in. Snoopy passed away and things stayed as they were, I wasn't at school so I spent all my time with her. I then got Luna a friend and brought a double hutch that could be split in half so I could have them.. it was only a 4ft hutch. my plan was for them to have this as a base, and then when bonded they could then have free roam to my room the entire time. that plan was working but.. now they've started destroying the carpet so I can't let them free roam anymore.. :(

they to have a pen attached to their hutch, its only 120cm x 80cm however.. not big at all. I didn't anticipate this problem. Luna's never been a chewer and Orion never was.. up until recently. they've had a lot to do. outside time, boxes to chew, boxes with ripped up boxes to forage, treat balls, scatter feeding but I guess the carpet is more fun.

I feel terrible, they've never had enough room and I can't give them the room they should have. I've been shunned enough for it already, being called abusive and every name under the sun. I know it isn't right. I didn't know what I knew now and I'm trying to make it right but its difficult. I only wanted Luna to be happy with a friend. I don't want them to be locked in a prison.

so now my plan is to scrap the hutch, and just get some dog panels and make up my own pen to suit how much there is.. it won't be nearly big enough, probably 100cm x 140cm but it will be completely undisturbed space and not like they have now with the hutch in the way. it will be better than it is currently. I can add a lot more than I can now as the hutch gets in the way. a diggy box hopefully, some things to do, more space to move.

and then whenever we can move out.. I can give them a lot more and I'm very sure of that. just until then hang on tight I suppose. just things seem to take a while for jobs to get settled :? I do feel bad, I do, but I'm trying my best for whats in my control.

Oh sorry, I was just trying to understand so I could help - I know those bunnies are your world.

As Zoobec suggested, would outdoors be better? As you might be able to give them the correct amount of space? :)

May work out cheaper too to get a shed or something, and you could use your current hutch inside the shed for somewhere for them to hide maybe?

I hope you can get it sorted :) x

honestly, I couldn't have them outdoors. when Snoopy was outdoors it was a pain, I didn't spend nearly as much time with him as I would have liked, when it became wet and cold I struggled with getting out. I'm on and off crutches too, and go get to our garden you have to go down steps. its difficult on the crutches. my dad would also complain about the grass, he got in a right fit when I had the hutch for Snoopy. our garden is not a show garden, half of the grass is weeds, yet he got so upset with the hutch ruining the grass and where we walked up to the hutch to see him. he once again then threatened to get rid of Snoopy.. I managed to make a deal with him by buying straw to protect it but the grass came back the next year anyhow so it wasn't that big of a deal...

I don't know how Luna would cope being outside & blind, all her life she has only known inside with some outside time. she gets very stressed when she is left by herself. I realise its something that could be worked on however. her coat is also ruined due to her previous owners bathing her in a sink with dog soap, she has never properly moulted. I realise she is indoor so she doesn't get as big as moults as an outdoor, but that worries me. water soaks her and the slightest bit of cold gets to her. I also don't like the idea of her being outside with arthritis neither.

I just don't think outside would work for any of us.. the fact I struggle to go out to them on crutches, Luna being indoor and "disabled" if you could call it that. and then when me and Kevin move.. which will likely be this winter I'm hoping.. they'll have to come back inside since we'll be going for an apartment and likely won't have a garden. so idk if moving outdoors now would even be a good plan.

and then we could end up just deciding to scrap moving here altogether and then move straight back to the netherlands.....

nothing is stable within my life, everything could change very suddenly and I'm trying to manage and keep the buns in mind as best I can. I don't know if I'm the a-hole for having them hang on until we move out and I can dedicate loads of room to them.

I wish I had a time frame to give but I don't.

they are really my world and I don't think I would be here without them. I just wish I could give them as much as they give me.

I'll do my best and see if I can change around my room to give them as much as I can.

William - I haven't seen anywhere that sells fleece.. it all seems to be online. I found a site but it was going to be £15 for 3 metres.. I need two pieces so that gets quite expensive. its why I was wondering if vet bed might be cheaper. Luna has ongoing health issues and her sore hocks flare up randomly despite doing my best to medicate them. she's a bit of an odd case. being rex's they're just more prone to it, but I do love the breed lol.

I'll check out on ebay, thank you :)

I have a Rex prone to sore hocks also - we found that carpet was awful for sore hocks.

I buy these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GY74FAO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I4gEBbR8S0P0T

They can only be washed at 40c because of the non slip backing but they always come out perfectly clean. One of the bunnies loves chewing the backing though, little rascal. They still work well after months and months though.

I’d recommend changing your floor to Lino that is sealed at the edges - stops chewing, better for sore hocks and wipe clean also. We have this now, with a couple of these mats covering about half the room so softness, and it has worked wonders.

Last edited:
Back