• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hope ive done the right thing

jredk04

Warren Scout
went for a routine check up at the vets for Jack's post-castration exam.

well, i've decided to leave him there.

the 'matting from his moult' which he has had since i adopted him is still round his bum and chest. despite futile attempts to get rid of it myself. (what i didn't realise is how hard you have to tug to get the moulting plucked out. i'm such a wimp! i was using a soft bristled brush and according to the nurse i should have been using a more tougher brush/comb (which i've also got) and tugging at it much harder).
anyway, i had a choice of either leaving him there or to go home, try again, with the very big possibility of doing the whole car journey thing again to get the vet to do it.
so i've opted to leave him. feel a bit bad about it as i should have tried harder. he now has to go through some sedation and being left there, again.
i'm also annoyed as, last week when he went under the general for his castration, i requested they addressed his moulting then. alas, my request was ignored. (i told the nurse this today, she's passing my comments onto the vets).
just wish he didn't have to go through the sedation process again.
oh and i've now got to hide a bill for £40+ from my hubby!
grief
right rant over!
Juliex

Hi Julie - try not to worry - I'm sure he will be fine. It is a pity they didn't do it last time when he was in though.

Rob moults a lot, and also detests getting brushed. I find it hard to keep tugging away when he is quite cleary well hacked off at me :? Hopefully it will be easier to maintain once they have got rid of the majority :wink:

Hi Julie,

I know what you mean about the message not getting through, when I check any of mine in at the vets I write down any instructions and that seems to work. Putting it in writing makes it more official ! After all we all have to save on our vet bills!!!

With the moult, try and start when the first signs how and go it everyday -rearend!!! Ihave one that gets bad if I don't keep on top of it :lol:

I'm sure you have done the best thing now and will have a nice groomed bunny when he comes home

Bye for now

Mogs

thanks

they've just called. they've got most of it out. as he's had it for at least a month+ it's quite bad so he's had a bit clipped as well. :( they've got most of it sorted but there's still a bit left round his bum area for me to do. the vet said he's a 'bit stressed' as he's come round and she can't do any more :( :(

will pick him up after 1.30pm

hope he's ok

oh and YEP, i did put it in writing last week! so you can understand why i was annoyed. i've spoken with the nurse and i'm hoping they're not going to charge me the full amount - i'm taking hte doc with me this afternoon - to 'fight it out' if needs be!

well, i'm definitely learning... even if it's the hard way!

thanks for your advice

Awwww poor Jack. I wouldn't be too angry with yourself. At least now it will be easier for you to keep on top of. I can understand that you didn't want to tug at his fur the skin does break easily, I have done it before when I got carried away and boy did I feel bad for it. There is a knack to grooming and it takes a while to know what you can and can't do. Is he normally good when you need to groom him?

Angela

You go for it!!

You don't see many poor vets :lol:

Mine has a BMW X5!!!

Good luck and give him a big cuddle when he gets home

Mogs

I hope Jack is feeling better.

I use a metal comb, Blueberry hasn't had a moult yet, but it used to get loads of Hoppy's loose fur out.

If you asked the vet to do it when he was castrated and they forgot then argue the bill down. Tell them your annoyed about the extra stress/second anesthetic. You may well get a discount then.

As you've found out soft bristled brushes aren't much good :( You need to use a comb, fleas combs work well. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it :D

Tam

thanks for all your support. i felt terrible as it felt as though i'd been neglecting him! silly i know. i've 'groomed' him daily but with settling in, vaccs, castration i've just been building up our 'together' sessions gradually and i didn't want us both to have a bad experience. guess a lot of it comes down to confidence as well.

anyhow, Jack is home and feeling VERY sorry for himself. he's not a happy chap. but i'm sure he'll forgive me. he's looking a lot better. the vet was really nice and she told me how to groom him to remove some of the moult that's left round his 'skirt'. i've to hold the bottom bit and tease the fur out using the comb. i'm sure i'll get the hang of it as there's lots left to practice on!

No fist-i-cuffs required. i asked for the bill and it came to £35. which also includes a treatment for what could be mites; he's a small graze-like mark between his shoulders. the bill should've been £48.20. I'm pretty pleased with the reduction as i believe they've done a good job (eventually) and it was the vet who rung me(!) to tell me everything had gone ok.

phew.

You don't see many poor vets
looks like my vet may have to put a hold on the X5 order! :lol:

Back