• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please keep Phillip in your thoughts (Update on post 146)

John was lovely, really got on well with him. Phillip is staying til Thursday. John doesn’t want to operate until he’s better so he’s putting him on fluids and ‘happy meds’ for today then sedating and xraying his head and chest tomorrow. He noticed though that he has an enlarged heart :(

John was lovely, really got on well with him. Phillip is staying til Thursday. John doesn’t want to operate until he’s better so he’s putting him on fluids and ‘happy meds’ for today then sedating and xraying his head and chest tomorrow. He noticed though that he has an enlarged heart :(

Poor baby. At least he is with someone you can have complete confidence in. I'd feel reassurred with the description of happy meds. Ongoing vibes for lovely Phillip

You know, lots of us humans and animals have enlarged hearts, and until we have an X-ray we never find out!

It's great you now have the facts and with you and your top vet he'll be wonderfully cared for.

More vibes coming over :wave:

JC diagnosed Toby with enlarged heart too, he's on medicine for that for the rest of his life now.

I hope nothing bad comes up on head xray xxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Poor baby. At least he is with someone you can have complete confidence in. I'd feel reassurred with the description of happy meds. Ongoing vibes for lovely Phillip

Yes I trust him completely. He was very kind and he clearly knows what he is talking about. I love the term happy meds, it shows he really cares doesn’t it.

You know, lots of us humans and animals have enlarged hearts, and until we have an X-ray we never find out!

It's great you now have the facts and with you and your top vet he'll be wonderfully cared for.

More vibes coming over :wave:

Yes that’s true. It’s just a bit tricky to hear after reading lots of things online about enlarged and not knowing the severity of it yet. Also with his previous allergies which I’m not wondering if maybe they were linked to his heart.
Thank you :)

JC diagnosed Toby with enlarged heart too, he's on medicine for that for the rest of his life now.

I hope nothing bad comes up on head xray xxx

How old was Toby when diagnosed? Did he go in for something different? Did John give a rough life expectancy? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just finding it all very hard to take in at the minute, then to top things off my car broke just as I got home! Just to make things ever so more stressful.

How old was Toby when diagnosed? Did he go in for something different? Did John give a rough life expectancy? Sorry for all the questions, I’m just finding it all very hard to take in at the minute, then to top things off my car broke just as I got home! Just to make things ever so more stressful.
Toby has stasis problems. At one point he went into stasis three times in a month. He had EC blood test, general bloods and x rays and that's the only thing they could pick up other than slight inflammation on his roots of his teeth. He needed three weeks for the meds to start working properly. I changed his diet to pellet free too.

Toby was two years old when he was diagnosed. Only February this year!

Toby has stasis problems. At one point he went into stasis three times in a month. He had EC blood test, general bloods and x rays and that's the only thing they could pick up other than slight inflammation on his roots of his teeth. He needed three weeks for the meds to start working properly. I changed his diet to pellet free too.

Toby was two years old when he was diagnosed. Only February this year!

Oh bless him. Rabbits are so delicate. He looks very content in all the photos I've seen of him :)

There is now lots of treatment options for Rabbits diagnosed with heart disease. Whilst it is of course not the sort of news any of us want to hear, it is certainly not always a hopeless situation. At the age of about 5 my Rabbit Inspector Morse was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy and he coped really well on treatment for about 3 years. He had several other health problems too but his quality of life was very good right up to the end. In fact it was not even his heart disease that caused his passing. He actually developed an inoperable cancer.

So do try not to think the worst, easier said than done I know x

There is now lots of treatment options for Rabbits diagnosed with heart disease. Whilst it is of course not the sort of news any of us want to hear, it is certainly not always a hopeless situation. At the age of about 5 my Rabbit Inspector Morse was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy and he coped really well on treatment for about 3 years. He had several other health problems too but his quality of life was very good right up to the end. In fact it was not even his heart disease that caused his passing. He actually developed an inoperable cancer.

So do try not to think the worst, easier said than done I know x

Thank you, that's good to hear. I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to my pets in case you couldn't tell :lol:

Also Inspector Morse - what a fantastic name for a rabbit :p

Thank you, that's good to hear. I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to my pets in case you couldn't tell :lol:

He was my Soul Mate, my best friend and totally irreplaceable. He taught me so much and was by my side through some dreadful times.

I hope that you will receive a good update about Phillip later today. He is in the care of an excellent Vet and I am certain that he will receive A* care during his stay in hospital.

I think we all worry, as rabbits are so precious and fragile.

I have lots of experience of enlarged hearts, and you are always welcome to PM me :wave:

I'm so pleased that you were impressed with and have confidence in JC. Happy meds is a wonderful term and I think we could all do with some of those at times :lol:

I agree the enlarged heart is not something that you would have wished for. However, it's so much better to know about these things so that the appropriate treatment can be arranged.

Sending lots of continuing vibes for Phillip.

Happy meds is a wonderful term and I think we could all do with some of those at times :lol:

Yes definitely :lol:

Little Phillip update for anyone that's interested:

He's been eating lots of hay and has done lots of droppings. No mention of him chewing through the drip this time either, which is good :lol:
So as of 6pm tonight we are all good for the anaesthetic tomorrow. I'm at an appointment in London tomorrow so won't have time to just sit and worry throughout the day thankfully. Will update when I'm home tomorrow evening :thumb:

Our other bunny, even though they aren't fully bonded yet, is missing him. She keeps staring at his cage and is a little quiet so we are giving her extra love and attention tonight :love:

He's been eating lots of hay and has done lots of droppings. No mention of him chewing through the drip this time either, which is good :lol:
So as of 6pm tonight we are all good for the anaesthetic tomorrow. I'm at an appointment in London tomorrow so won't have time to just sit and worry throughout the day thankfully. Will update when I'm home tomorrow evening :thumb:

Great to hear that he is now eating a pooing. Sending him millions of vibes for his procedure tomorrow xx

Yes definitely :lol:

Our other bunny, even though they aren't fully bonded yet, is missing him. She keeps staring at his cage and is a little quiet so we are giving her extra love and attention tonight :love:

I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow :)

Yes, keep busy and try not to give it any thought until you get the phone call from the vet to tell you that all is well x

Phillip has woken up from the anaesthetic. Get the results either today or tomorrow, depending when John is available to speak.

Back