• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re: Nipping

jredk04

Warren Scout
Hi

wonder if you can give me some advice.

Jack has started nipping. i think he's just testing the difference between me and his toys. i've tried shouting ouch, shrieking etc but it still continues...

there's no pattern to his nipping. he's lots and lots of toys in his room.

any ideas how i can 'nip' this in the bud?

many thanks in advance.

juliex
PS - he was neutered about a week ago; as soon as his testicles dropped.

claude used to be really bad for nipping it was usually if i was in his was he would try and make me move,he doesnt do it as much now but yesterday he jumped on the sofa with me started licking my leg then nipped me it really hurt so i put him on the floor,and ignored him he hates that.

I get test nips now and they are different from nipping. Nipping hurts and they actually bite rather than test. Put your hand over their eyes and hand behind their bum. This shows them your incharge - this is if its nipping and not testing.

One of mine nips but I believe it to be in an affectionate way. He licks and nudges me and I think he gets a bit carried away and excited so he nips. When I say ouch he snuggles back in again so I think he knows he has hurt me and he didn't mean too. My Dog used to do exactly the same thing. Just their way of expressing themselves x

Anna, Bob & Dexter xx

Hi again! It could be that hes still a bit hormonal, did he do it before he went for the chop?
Harley regularly takes chunks out of my ankles just now as he has fallen in love with them and gets a bit randy with them :lol: The only answer I have is that he's getting castrated soon. If Jack is randy then it should stop in a few weeks time.

Angela

Chips was neutered a year ago or more, but he still likes to bite my feet. And the mini-lops chomp and chomp and chomp if I pick 'em up while wearing a jumper.

Of course, what Andi doesn't know is that every night, when he's asleep, I sprinkle all his socks and jumpers with carrot juice. MWAHAHAHAHA!

most rabbits nip more so young ones under 2!
if his only nipping say when you are holding him or if his nipping you out the way then his just trying to prove his still top dog :lol:
this normally passes a good mate had a french doe off me she was 2 this year she nipped for her 1st year and for the past year she just chews holes in everything :shock:
but as long as he doesnt seem to have a nasty motive this is normal in most rabbits!
rabbits dont think like us they see something in there way and chew it out of the way have you watch them in garden the see a plant and timber hopefully this is something as they get older that will pass
:D

most rabbits nip more so young ones under 2!
if his only nipping say when you are holding him or if his nipping you out the way then his just trying to prove his still top dog
this normally passes a good mate had a french doe off me she was 2 this year she nipped for her 1st year and for the past year she just chews holes in everything
but as long as he doesnt seem to have a nasty motive this is normal in most rabbits!
rabbits dont think like us they see something in there way and chew it out of the way have you watch them in garden the see a plant and timber hopefully this is something as they get older that will pass

thanks for this advice. it really helps. on a number of issues. i do believe he's trying to shove me out the way, v much like one of his toys! i am afterall in his room. :lol: i'm also addressing his routine in the morning, which is when he seems at his most 'assertive' - the more i get to know him, the more i think he may not be a 'morning bun'. i'm now going into his room (after knocking of course :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and just feeding him, popping back later to swap litter trays, sorting water, hay etc. and he's a lot more laid back with this.

also, i've been wanting him to be 'more around the house', i'm reigning my thoughts back a bit and will probably just keep it to evenings when my son is in bed. thus avoiding any toddlers 'being in the way'!

Nipping hurts and they actually bite rather than test. Put your hand over their eyes and hand behind their bum.
thanks, i'll know what to do if it becomes more of a 'test nip' as he hasn't really 'nipped properly'.

It could be that hes still a bit hormonal
yes this is very probably and a factor i should consider

thanks

will let you know how we get on.

ps

Of course, what Andi doesn't know is that every night, when he's asleep, I sprinkle all his socks and jumpers with carrot juice. MWAHAHAHAHA!
:lol: :lol:

If he does hurt you or bites. Another thing to do is deliberately turn your back on him and sit down a couple of feet away. This is bunny-talk for you upset me and I'm not talking to you until you apologise. If you then look over you shoulder at him and turn slightly toward him that means your ready to forgive him and if he follows your go at bunny speak he'll come and apologise. At which point you can cuddle him again to let him know you've forgiven him.

Of course he may just wonder what on earth your doing if you get the bunny accent wrong ;)

Tam

Hey All,
Toby also nips when I have him on my lap. He doesn’t mind being cuddled or picked up but he dose get rather upset by sitting on your lap
:? It doesnt take him long to "suck up" though.

thanks

i like the idea of giving him the 'cold shoulder'! but i guess it's reallydown to 'getting to know him' some more. everything is still v new to us!

I have two that are regularly taking lumps out of me, for entirely different reasons.

Isadora nips if I am down on the floor, particularly when I am giving Merlin his meds. So this must be either a get out of my way he is mine, or an I'm angry he gets that and I don't. She also nips if I pick her up as she doesn't like being held, and digs holes in my clothes :( She likes her noserubs to come to her, she is a very friendly rabbit despite the nipping.

Then there is Shadow, who is living in the bathroom. She attacks ankles on sight. This can be very difficult when you pay a visit in the middle of the night. She seems to have taken a particular dislike to my pajamas, and will fly across the room to attack them whether I am in them or not. Funnily enough she rather likes it when I stroke her, although no one else is allowed to, except Thistle of course. I have to remove her from the bathroom whenever someone else wants to use the bath or shower. Luckily we have a downstairs toilet too so the children don't have to get bitten every time they need to go :? Shadow is 4 and has always been like this. And she is spayed, it didn't make any difference to her behaviour, except that she no longer sprays, thank goodness. Some rabbits just don't like people.

nipping

hi julie,

If i am in Baby's way she will always nudge twice, bite if i haven't moved. she once bit me through a really thick dressing gown on my side hurt like hell. teddy gently nips our fingers if he can smell food on them (he's used to us bringing a piece of veg so i think he just takes it as red that we have some food in our hands!!

my bun doesn't nip he goes for the kill, latches on with his teeth then gets his back legs in for a scratch too! Definately not cute and cuddly everyone that knows him is scared stiff! :(

my bun doesn't nip he goes for the kill, latches on with his teeth then gets his back legs in for a scratch too! Definately not cute and cuddly everyone that knows him is scared stiff!

ouch!

yes big ouch! I keep a pair of ski gloves handy at all times, unfortunately they don't protect my legs though!!! :(

Back