• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Straw recommendation

TD86

Alpha Buck
As title really, I used to use Hay 4 Pets (now Hay and Straw.co.uk) but because they send it in plastic bags, it just sweats and is infested with tiny bugs and smells like mould so I've had to throw the last two bales away. Does anywhere sell straw in bags similar to they type used by Timothyhay.co.uk that anyone knows of? I don't drive so it needs to be delivered. Thanks

As title really, I used to use Hay 4 Pets (now Hay and Straw.co.uk) but because they send it in plastic bags, it just sweats and is infested with tiny bugs and smells like mould so I've had to throw the last two bales away. Does anywhere sell straw in bags similar to they type used by Timothyhay.co.uk that anyone knows of? I don't drive so it needs to be delivered. Thanks
No advice tbh but I noticed bugs in my straw from them too, not very impressed tbh - mine smells fine though

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I never bothered with straw, but used to get my hay from Hay4Pets. Did you tell them that the bales were 'faulty'? I'm sure they would want to know as, apart from anything else, it is their reputation/lost sales at stake.

I never bothered with straw, but used to get my hay from Hay4Pets. Did you tell them that the bales were 'faulty'? I'm sure they would want to know as, apart from anything else, it is their reputation/lost sales at stake.

No I haven't, didn't even cross my mind as I just assume it happens with straw as they probably don't check. I've chucked multiple bags over the years but it seems to be getting worse, I've never had a mouldy smelling one before.

its because they don't use pesticides, so bugs can get in. tell them and they will send you a free replacement bale. I have had it a few times. their customer support is always more than friendly.

your only other chance will be timothy hay but they use bags too so I don't know how that will be.

its because they don't use pesticides, so bugs can get in. tell them and they will send you a free replacement bale. I have had it a few times. their customer support is always more than friendly.

your only other chance will be timothy hay but they use bags too so I don't know how that will be.
Yeaaa I thought as I ordered it so long ago they wouldn't care [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Not very good tho

Yeaaa I thought as I ordered it so long ago they wouldn't care [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Not very good tho

you can't really stop bugs from getting within hay without the use of pesticides, which you're not going to want to feed your bunny. hay makes a good place for bugs to lay. anyhow, most of what you will find are "hay mites" and they're completely harmless to you and your bunny. so its up to you on how picky you are on that, personally I wasn't sure so I got a new bale. after discovering it was harmless I didn't care less, the bunnies had it, and they continued on eating it lol. it depends on how you store it too.

they bag it up before its sent out to you so its not like its sitting sweating for a while.

I've heard people having bugs in timothy hay as well. its just something that's hard to completely avoid.

I guess the bottom line is if you have an issue with something from any company, tell them. they'll either then be aware and do their best to fix it, or give you a refund or a replacement. I don't understand why people don't report such things :?

you can't really stop bugs from getting within hay without the use of pesticides, which you're not going to want to feed your bunny. hay makes a good place for bugs to lay. anyhow, most of what you will find are "hay mites" and they're completely harmless to you and your bunny. so its up to you on how picky you are on that, personally I wasn't sure so I got a new bale. after discovering it was harmless I didn't care less, the bunnies had it, and they continued on eating it lol. it depends on how you store it too.

they bag it up before its sent out to you so its not like its sitting sweating for a while.

I've heard people having bugs in timothy hay as well. its just something that's hard to completely avoid.

I guess the bottom line is if you have an issue with something from any company, tell them. they'll either then be aware and do their best to fix it, or give you a refund or a replacement. I don't understand why people don't report such things :?

Oh it's not the hay actually, I buy their ings and it's fine - and Timothyhay.co.uk hay and oat hay never had issues with.

It's just hay and straws - straw [emoji38]

They weren't mites either... Some flew out the bag [emoji38]

I should've told them, its just time I guess, I try and report/be ontop of most things, but time doesn't always allow for the non life and death [emoji38][emoji38]

Back