Thread: Weight Gain

Default Weight Gain

Whats peoples preference on feeding up underweight bunnies?

I've always managed using junior pellets and removing the thin bun from the group for an extra feed.

However its just not working for two of my bunnies.

Both have had full health checks and are in full health, but neither have particularly good muscle mass. Oliver is young but has arthritis and back issues from being used as a football and Comet is very old at 12. Both bunnies are two of the more active members of the group, I'm constatantly surprised by their abilities!
    I Suffer From Multiple Rabbit Syndrome
    (Because One Rabbit Is Never Enough!)

Have you tried barley rings, though older buns will lose condition, can you increase the pellets on underweight older buns?

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I've already increased the pellets. I'm not so worried about the condition as I expect that in the older bun, but they are extreamly boney which I'm uncomfortable with. Alice at windwhistle has given me a few suggestions, so I'm going to give them a try.

Wise Old Thumper

When I had an 8 year old doe who was finding it difficult to maintain her weight, plus lost muscle from her back and shoulders, I used to give her a FibaFirst stick when her bonded partners were not looking. She was on daily Metacam for Arthritis and so was not as energetic as the others.

I managed only to make sure she didn't lose any more weight. She did not increased her weight, no matter how much more food she seemed to consume.

i hope you find something that works for your rabbits.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

I hope Alices suggestions work & you manage to get a little more weight on them. Are there any you'd be happy to share? Its lovely to hear how active they are. Mouse is a little on the skinny side now (she has always felt bony to me but vet assurred me her muscle tone was ok). For a month I've been giving her a few extra cranberries (Joey & Boo get 2 each a day) & about 5g of nuggets or a chunk of oatibix. I weigh them weekly & she's just about maintaining but I'd like her to gain a little too

Thanks all. My problem is that both bunnies are extreamly active despite their age/arthritis.

Suggestions have been oats (soaked becuase of swelling), profibre (which I have but sadly neither of these two like) or controversally rabbit royal muslie.

To be honest I'm going to try some RR, if it works then IMO the benefit will outweigh the negatives of using a muslie.

Will also try sneaking them some fiba first in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy104 View Post
    Thanks all. My problem is that both bunnies are extreamly active despite their age/arthritis.

Suggestions have been oats (soaked becuase of swelling), profibre (which I have but sadly neither of these two like) or controversally rabbit royal muslie.

To be honest I'm going to try some RR, if it works then IMO the benefit will outweigh the negatives of using a muslie.

Will also try sneaking them some fiba first in between.
    Thanks for sharing Alices suggestions. I think the issues with Muesli (as long as no locust beans) wouldn't be applicable as its supplementary to regular diet & you're looking for weight gain. Good luck x

Black sunflower seeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk