• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight Gain

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Whats peoples preference on feeding up underweight bunnies?

I've always managed using junior pellets and removing the thin bun from the group for an extra feed.

However its just not working for two of my bunnies.

Both have had full health checks and are in full health, but neither have particularly good muscle mass. Oliver is young but has arthritis and back issues from being used as a football and Comet is very old at 12. Both bunnies are two of the more active members of the group, I'm constatantly surprised by their abilities!

Have you tried barley rings, though older buns will lose condition, can you increase the pellets on underweight older buns?

I've already increased the pellets. I'm not so worried about the condition as I expect that in the older bun, but they are extreamly boney which I'm uncomfortable with. Alice at windwhistle has given me a few suggestions, so I'm going to give them a try.

When I had an 8 year old doe who was finding it difficult to maintain her weight, plus lost muscle from her back and shoulders, I used to give her a FibaFirst stick when her bonded partners were not looking. She was on daily Metacam for Arthritis and so was not as energetic as the others.

I managed only to make sure she didn't lose any more weight. She did not increased her weight, no matter how much more food she seemed to consume.

i hope you find something that works for your rabbits.

I hope Alices suggestions work & you manage to get a little more weight on them. Are there any you'd be happy to share? Its lovely to hear how active they are. Mouse is a little on the skinny side now (she has always felt bony to me but vet assurred me her muscle tone was ok). For a month I've been giving her a few extra cranberries (Joey & Boo get 2 each a day) & about 5g of nuggets or a chunk of oatibix. I weigh them weekly & she's just about maintaining but I'd like her to gain a little too

Thanks all. My problem is that both bunnies are extreamly active despite their age/arthritis.

Suggestions have been oats (soaked becuase of swelling), profibre (which I have but sadly neither of these two like) or controversally rabbit royal muslie.

To be honest I'm going to try some RR, if it works then IMO the benefit will outweigh the negatives of using a muslie.

Will also try sneaking them some fiba first in between.

Thanks all. My problem is that both bunnies are extreamly active despite their age/arthritis.

Suggestions have been oats (soaked becuase of swelling), profibre (which I have but sadly neither of these two like) or controversally rabbit royal muslie.

To be honest I'm going to try some RR, if it works then IMO the benefit will outweigh the negatives of using a muslie.

Will also try sneaking them some fiba first in between.

Thanks for sharing Alices suggestions. I think the issues with Muesli (as long as no locust beans) wouldn't be applicable as its supplementary to regular diet & you're looking for weight gain. Good luck x

Back