• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits get Lonely?

He was (and still is) a nightmare for getting under your feet, he loves to try and run between your legs if you are carrying something heavy or full of water!! I have nearly gone over once or twice :lol: !

Zeus went to three rescues (I went to another without him as well). He loved all the females he met - she was the only one who stood her ground - also the rescue (and I won't mention the name although I wouldn't recommend it) were supposed to be showing me spayed buns only (as Zeus had only been done a couple of weeks before) and half way through the introductions when I commented that he was mounting/trying to mount her a lot the bloke said - oh well she is probably in season :shock: ! I had to adopt her then so I could get her spayed ASAP - I didn't want to put her through having Zeus' kits as she is still a small lop even if she is on the big side for a dwarf.

There weren't any giants in rescue in my local area but I spoke to a great lady at Reading Rabbit Rescue and she convinced me that it wasn't size but personality that counts as she had seen many happy miss-size pairings!

So we gave it a go and she doesn't seem to be the least bit bothered by his size at all - although it was funny when he tried to mount her as he couldn't hold her neck and get his "parts" :oops: to the right area as he is about twice her length - gave us enough time to seperate them while he tried to work the logistics out :lol: !

I think having lots of attention both human and rabbit helped Athena because she was isolated at the rescue as she was vicious - and handled quite roughly by the guy who ran it too I might add!

Caz

Bunny Loneliness

Whilst I don't have the privillege of owning a bun (s), I know that Billy (Bunnysam) was lonely before the arrival of Rosie. He used to stare into thin air at nothing, as if there was nothing worth caring about. Once he and Rosie had bonded and all the disagreements were over, he was like a new bunny, happy, inquisitive and with more "binkying" as a result.

Buns are best in pairs, for their own happiness..

I'm sure this is a lot to take in Carole!!
How about in the mean time whilst you decide on another bun you can give your one a cuddle toy to snuggle up to, lick and throw. My buns love to snuggle up to soft things.

Hi,

Yes sure is a lot to take in, well I have been ringing a couple of rescue centres today to see if they have a neutered male to keep Misty company, but there is only one and that isnt suitable apparently.

One of the rescue places said I could go pick a male and pay to have it neutered, I obviously dont mind paying, but would like one sooner rather than later. I am sure there must be one smallish neutered bunny out there that wants a good home - anyone know one?

Thanks for all your advice

Carole

Hi,

I live in Rugby in Warwickshire - prepared to travel about an hour.

I am waiting for a couple of the rescue places to email me back.

Thanks again

Carole

Tracy (Rabbit and guinea Pig Rescue) is in Rugby. I think she has about 30 rabbits at the moment so may well have something.

This time of year rescues are very short on space so neutered males tend to get quickly paired up with females to make more room. It can be a case of phoning weekly to see what they have new in.

RSPCA Worcester have some youngish male dutch rabbits, they use foster homes so may well be not far from Warwickshire. I'm not sure whether they are neutered yet but their policy is to neuter before they are rehomed anyway. Email: andrea.kat@virgin.net Tel: 07812 541590

Good luck :D

Tam

Hi Tam,

Thanks v much for your help. I did try the rabbit rescue in Rugby the other day and they didnt have anything suitable and recommended another place in Coventry. The Rugby rescue would be ideal for me as it is 5 mins from where I live. I will try them again.

I will also try the other place you recommended too.

Thanks again your help is much appreciated.

Carole

Back